how many blue decks are there? that can change what deck you play a lot.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it.

In order to give further clarification, I envisioned a field of around 30-40 players with the majority of them being on some kind of cantrip fueled deck. We do have a large number of dredge decks here usually though that may change as we had a member move away and he usually supplied 2-3 dredge decks.

Last year our meta was dominated by shops however the event at GP Melbourne was suspiciously absent of shops pilots and I believe the subsequent Golem restriction to further dampen this.

I really do like the baleful strix as a great answer to the eldrazi deck.

I was also considering playing mono blue leyline Belcher in order to be faster than the dredge decks and faster ahead of the eldrazi decks.
Is this just worse than a more consistent welder engine or oath based strategy?

Thanks again!!

@Ten-Ten my list would be most likely based off of Shuhei or Brian Kelly's list.

Is that person who moved away me?

@HoardingDragon

I would play Thought Knot Seers and Thorn of Amethysts if you got them. Probably in a Shop deck; like the deck that won the NYSE. Thorn is really good against "cantrip decks" and Thought Knot Seer is the new and good win condition.

I wouldn't play Belcher if I were you because then you might have to deal with Thorn effects. But Oath also seems like another fine choice.

@HoardingDragon said:

I was also considering playing mono blue leyline Belcher in order to be faster than the dredge decks and faster ahead of the eldrazi decks.
Is this just worse than a more consistent welder engine or oath based strategy?

Thanks again!!

I have played Belcher for the last month in mtgo dailies and tournament practice room. It can definitely beat Dredge even in game one. Eldrazi/Shops matchups can be difficult though if you cant find a good opening hand or some good sideboard options. Some Eldrazi draws might be unwinnable on the draw without active leyline and even then very hard.

@rbartlet sure is! 😛 hope America is treating you well!

@HoardingDragon so far, so good. I could always go for a few more vintage events, but I think that that would be the case no matter where I lived.

I hope that Masters goes well! This will be the first one I will have missed for quite a while.

For the record, I was normally acting as a broker in lending out decks; where the decks belonged to friends who were unable to play in the event, but were happy to have their cards played, and wanted someone to take responsibility for them. There was one Melbourne GP where I ended up with 6 powered decks to lend out.

@HoardingDragon hey so what did you play and how did it go?

Views