GP Columbus Vintage general results

• I don't have complete details for all the events, so if anyone wants to fill in information in replies, I can add stuff to the first post and make it more comprehensive.

There were several Vintage events at GP Columbus. I played in two of them.

Friday
    15 players

Tom A., Vault Key Oath, 4-0
    Dredge, 3-1
    Neil Martin, Landstill, 3-1
    White Eldrazi, 3-1
    Worldgorger Dragon Combo, 3-1

Other decks included
    Mentor Gush
    Tezzeret
    Dark Petition Storm
    Golden Gun Oath
    Rage Extractor Shops

Saturday 11 a.m.
    8 players (this event competed with the main event)
    Rick Gideon, UR Hellkite Control, 4-0
    Ben Perry, 2 Card Monte, 3-1

Other lists included:
    BUG Control
    Rogue Hermit Combo
    White Eldrazi
    White Eldrazi
    UBWg Gush Mentor Tendrils
    Dredge?

Saturday 6 p.m.
    10 or 11 players? (this event competed with dinner)
    Ben Perry, 2 Card Monte, 4-0

Other lists included:
    Living Wish Belcher
    Esper Bomberman
    Dredge
    Dark Petition Storm

Sunday 12 p.m.
    28 players

Jefferey Kraznoson (from Calgary), Hangarback Shops, 5-0
    Nat Moes, Colorless Eldrazi a la Jaco, 4-1
    Nick Cummings, Academy Belcher (no Wishes), 4-1
    Arturo Garcia, URw Delver, 3-2
    Matt Hazard, UB Dark Depths Landstill, 3-2
    Ben Perry, 2 Card Monte, 3-2

Other lists included
    Dredge
    Dredge
    Dredge
    Esper Bomberman
    White Eldrazi
    Colorless Eldrazi
    Tezzeret
    Living Wish Belcher
    Worldgorger Dragon Combo
    TKS Shops
    TPS
    Landstill Oath
    Gush Mentor
    Nahiri Mentor
    Dark Petition Storm

I'll see if I can get lists for some of the higher finishing decks.

• I had a great time trading and play testing on Friday, and an even better time playing in the Saturday Vintage event. I ended up 4-0. Round 1 was against a Belcher variant (Rogue Hermit?), Round 2 was against Two Card Monte, Round Three was against BUG, and Round 4 was against Gush Mentor Tendrils.

I felt the deck did well against these match-ups, with a good strategy mix of long and slow control, or lightning fast hellkite kills. One notable change I made for the event was the inclusion of Blood Moons in the board. I only needed them twice, but both times, they devastated the opponent and won me the game. I'll continue to modify the recipe to get the right mix.

Sadly, I was unable to make the Sunday event.

UR Hellkite Hammer

2 Consecrated Sphinx
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Thundermaw Hellkite

1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mana Drain
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Preordain
    3 Sudden Shock
    1 Time Walk
    1 Treasure Cruise

1 Black Lotus
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring

1 Dack Fayden
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

2 Cavern of Souls
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    2 Mana Confluence
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:

2 Blood Moon
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Steel Sabotage
    3 Surgical Extraction

• For the curious, here's my Dark Depths Landstill list which is slightly modified from the last time I played it:

4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Standstill
    1 Ponder
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Time Walk
    1 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Consultation
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Preordain

//Sideboard
    SB: 1 Steel Sabotage
    SB: 4 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Ravenous Trap
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Planar Void

It has pretty good game against more decks than you would think and can put a clock on folks quicker than they would like. For the first time yesterday, I was able to kill an Arcbound Ravager at instant speed with Vampire Hexmage - a tactic that gives the deck more game against one of the more popular decks.

• @hazard I play Oath/Landstill hybrid and I love anything to do with either of those archetypes, so thanks for sharing the list. I think the Dark Depths take on Landstill is super cool too, I like that it would seem to give Landstill that finishing punch that it might have been missing in the past.

A humble suggestion, I wonder how this build would do against Oath?... I'm looking and I see that you can Thoughseize the Oath which is good. In the way of counters there is just Force and the outside chance at Mindbreak trap, then in the post board you have only two Cages to add? Do I have that right?

I wonder about cutting back other Dredge hate to expand the number of Cages in the board, since they work against Oath and Dredge about equally well?

I can also tell you that I just put Crucible main deck in my Oath/Standstill hybrid, and wow am I happy with it. It's basically just a terciary win condition, and I only run 4 fetches 1 Waste 1 Strip, but the amount of random Waste and Strip locking even that set up does is truely amazing. I can't imagine there would be too many games where you'd be sad to see that card. It also lets you recur Factory blockers against things like Ravagers and TKS and the like... anyway, thanks again for sharing, and do let us know how it works out. Nice list man.

• I played Both Saturday events as well as the Sunday event. I played 2 Card Monte all three times, same list.

In the 11 am event I won against Mentor, Lost to Zenvir's Thundermaw Hellkites, won against Mono White Eldrazi, and won against BUG Fish to finish 3-1.

In the 6 pm event we had 10 or eleven players. I won against Living Belcher, Dark Petition Storm, Esper Bomberman, and Dredge to finish 4-0.

The Sunday event had 28 players, I lost round one to Dragon, round two I lost to Nahiri Mentor, round three I beat Eldrazi (TKS) Workshops, round four I won against Dark Petition Storm, and round five I won against Eldrazi (TKS) Workshops again to finish 3-2.

10-3 on the weekend, and every single person I played against was awesome.

My List:

4 Mishra's Workshop
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mana Vault

4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Helm of Obedience
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant

4 Goblin Welder
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Mental Misstep
    1 Ancient Grudge

1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Demonic Consultation
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Tinker
    1 Memory Jar
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Ancestral Recall

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Nature's Claim
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Balance
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind

• I played Rogue Hermit Combo in the Saturday morning event, figuring that very fast combo would have an edge against the Eldrazi decks. Overall I think the theory was right, but I should have played a different combo. I think I would have been happier with a more consistent deck like Belcher (probably not the Academy versions, but who knows). The maindeck was what Menendian proposed in his article a couple years ago, but I went 1-3, so no need to share the list again.

On Sunday, I played Jaco's colorless Eldrazi 74/75 cards because I didn't have Ulamog and replaced it with an additional Spatial Contortion. The deck was disgusting. I beat White Eldrazi, TKS Shops, Dredge (including game one), and URw Mentor. I lost to Hangarback Shops because he had Crucible and Wasteland in games two and three and I didn't have an answer or a board presence. I should have brought in Leyline but didn't think about it. All credit to Jaco.

4 Endless One
    3 Endbringer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    2 Matter Reshaper
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    3 Warping Wail
    3 Dismember
    4 Null Rod
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Ghost Quarter
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Warping Wail
    2 Spatial Contortion

I thought the events I played in were great. All of my opponents were fun and glad to be playing Vintage. The judges were friendly, helpful, competent, and organized. And the prize support was outstanding. My fifth-round opponent and I agreed to split the prize tickets on Sunday, and we each walked away with a box and a half of cards. Not too shabby!

• I played Vault-Key Oath to a 4-0 finish (3-0-1 officially as we agreed to split) on Friday, and to a 3-2 Finish on Sunday. Here's my list:

2 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Lotus Petal
    5 Moxen
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Preordain
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Voltaic Key
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Oath of Druids
    1 Time Vault
    1 Time Walk
    4 Show and Tell
    1 Yawgmoth's Will / Omniscience (Switch from Friday to Sunday, explained below)
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    1 Dig Through Time

4 Forbidden Orchard
    2 Island
    1 Library of Alexandria
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Strip Mine
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea

Side:
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Nature's Claim
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Toxic Deluge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Going into the weekend, I was looking at the success of Eldrazi at NYSE, and decided I needed to tune my deck to take into account the existence of a deck that often ran 4 Containment Priest in the main. I settled on a hybrid of Omni Oath and Vault/Key Oath, with 4 Show and Tells, 1 Omniscience, and a 2/1 split of Griselbrand and Emrakul. In typical fashion, I didn't play against Eldrazi a single time on Friday and sided out the Omniscience in every game 2 and 3. As a result, I decided to move it to the sideboard in favor of bringing Yawgmoth's Will back into the main.

On Friday, I played against Landstill, Mentor, Shops (TKS), and Dredge. On Sunday, I played against Delver, Eldrazi, Belcher, Labman Oathstill, and Shops, losing to Belcher and Shops (TKS). I think I made a critical mistake in Game 2 against Shops that cost me the game when I might otherwise have gone on to win, but I'm happy with my play that weekend overall.

• Jeff had linked me his 5-0 list, linking here with his permission and throwing him a heads up to come join the discussion =)

http://www.mtgvault.com/krasman/decks/ravager-mud/

• Thanks to everyone who has posted a list. I think we're doing pretty well considering that no lists were required for these events!

• Hey guys! I played URw Delver on Sunday and finished 3-2. It was my first Vintage tournament and it was a blast! I'm very excited for Eternal Weekend. The list I played was:

4 Delver
    4 Young Peezy
    1 Snapcaster
    1 Jace, VP

1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 DTT
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Lightning Bolt
    2 Path to Exile
    4 FOW
    4 Misstep
    3 Gush

1 Time Walk
    1 Cruise
    1 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    2 Probes

1 Dack

1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Strip Mine
    2 Island
    2 Tundra
    3 Volcanics
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn

SB
    3 Chewers
    2 RIP
    2 Rav Traps
    2 Cages
    1 Pyro
    2 Containment Priests
    1 Mountain
    1 Stony
    1 Flusterstorm

Round one I played against Raveger Shops and won 2-1. Round two I won 2-1 versus Dark Depths. Round three I played against Dragon Combo and won 2-0. Round four I lost 1-2 to Eldrazi and finally round five, I fell 0-2 to Belcher which was good enough for 24 tickets that I turned into a draft set of EMA. All of my opponents were very pleasant and I look forward to playing with you guys again at Vintage Champs.

Side note: My friend Tim was on Dragon Combo and he went 3-1 on Friday and 2-3 on Sunday. I don't think he is on here so I'll see if I can get his list to share with you guys.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.