Mindless Automaton in Shops

• So, in these Ravager/Hangarback times, where I see people playing multiple Triskelions in Shops, what do you guys think of 1 -2 Mindless Automaton?

I mean, it can turn redundant lands, etc, into more cards and can also trade Ravager's +1/+1 counters for a lot of cards. I think it could be a realiable card in lists with 4 Ravager, 3 Hangarback floating around. I could see it playing 3 Triskelion/1 Automaton instead of the 4 Trike I've been seeing.

For those who don't remember what it does:
    alt text

• TMD Supporter

It seems a little win-more perhaps. Plus it is kind of slow. I'm not an expert on Shops, but in my experience you just want to get people dead as fast as you can. Also, it does almost nothing by itself, and that's a real turn off.

• Steel overseer is a vintage playable card, IMO.

Anyway, mindless automaton is cute but bad. It's awful by itself, and it doesn't really do what an Agro shops list wants to do, which is attack and prison.

If Wizards printed a XX casting cost mindless automaton, ala hangarback Walker, I'd test it because it would be scalable. But id still have doubts that it would be vintage playable.

• Seems ok as a singleton. I mean 4 mana cycle is the worst case. Generally though 2 damage in these decks is going to be way better than 1 card.

• My point is that it can grow way bigger, cycling redundant lands and getting counters from Ravager/Hangarback like Triskelion does. I mean Trike is awesome by itself, but it's being played right now because of the interaction with Ravager.
    I just have a feeling this guy could be worthwhile as a 1, 2-of.

@gkraigher I agree, if Automaton was scalable it would be way better. But since he would be bad to cast for 2 mana/1 counter, I believe 4 mana/2 counters is ok.

• @fsecco I'm for this idea. One thing I can say in favor of this card, is that thanks to Eldrazi, Shops removal is heading away from sweepers like Energy Flux and Kataki and Hurkyls, and more and more spots are being taken up by Force of Will. Adding some kind of draw engine to Shops then would seem to make more sense. because you can now try to out-pace the spot removal you might see from a blue deck.

• Administrators

@Topical_Island said:

@fsecco I'm for this idea. One thing I can say in favor of this card, is that thanks to Eldrazi, Shops removal is heading away from sweepers like Energy Flux and Kataki and Hurkyls, and more and more spots are being taken up by Force of Will.

Do you really think Eldrazi in the metagame increases the amount of Force of Wills going around? Force of Will has always seemed critically important to me against workshop decks, and close to cuttable against Eldrazi.

• @Brass-Man Yeah I'm probably more interested in having Swords and Dismembers against Eldrazi than FoWs...

• @Brass-Man No... Oh, crap... no my brain just farted onto your website. I meant to say that more and more slots are being taken up by Swords to Plowshares (another vintage card, with a name that is syntactically structured like... noun preposition noun, and apparently is stored in the same toy bin in my head... Seemingly I was in a rush, and grabbed out the wrong name.)

The point I was going for, that I didn't at all make, was that with more 1 for 1 spot removal. A draw engine of some kind doesn't seem out of the question for Shops. I think Endbringer for example, seems like a pretty strong include in Eldrazi, since it has the words "draw a card" printed on it. The times I've seen any sort of blue deck beat Eldrazi or Shops lately, have been games where the blue 1 for 1 removed the threats while resolving at least a draw spell and getting ahead and finding more removal, while the Shops or Eldrazi deck eventually flooded with lands.

Anyway, that's what I was going for. I'll not edit so that other people can potentially laugh at me... no, Force is maybe at an all time low in value right now... because I think Storm is pretty bad right now with all the Thorns and Missteps and Thalia's running around. Everyone is almost preboarded for it anyway. That plus so many Caverns makes Force pretty bad.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.