[EMN] Bedlam Reveler

• Interesting card

Bedlam Reveler 6 R R
    Creature - Devil Horror
    Bedlam Reveler costs 1 less to cast for each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard
    Prowess
    When Bedlam Reveler enters the battlefield, discard your hand and draw 3 cards
    3/4

Let's assume this costs RR. Let's also assume this draws 3 cards. Under those premises, it's a damn good card, awesome in fact.

Can we throw this in any existent deck? Maybe UR delver, but probably this card demands something pretty aggressive, with few countermagic (you don't want to put the fows in the grave for fun)

While it does not have evasion (would have been broken), i like it a lot. Add bolts, maybe chain lightning, price of progress or other direct damage spells, and this is a devastating late game card.

Thoughts?

• I wish burn was a thing in this format. In legacy I could imagine this actually being played as a 1 of in burn. Refills the hand for 2 mana, body on the table, it is a big threat there. I already find myself playing a 1 of Dangerous Wager in that formats burn list and this would be similar.

In vintage however, not so much because it does not provide disruption and runs counter to delve cards which also draw you a buncha stuff.

• This is a decent enough Dread Return target as you get to discard the dredge card you used during your draw step.

• It's a horror.

• @mickey.nobilis said:

This is a decent enough Dread Return target as you get to discard the dredge card you used during your draw step.

Is it better than just dredging Grizlebrand though? Or Sun titan? there are a lot of options.

• @Protoaddct said:

@mickey.nobilis said:

This is a decent enough Dread Return target as you get to discard the dredge card you used during your draw step.

Is it better than just dredging Grizlebrand though? Or Sun titan? there are a lot of options.

Well, haven't thought about dredge. In fact this does not need dread return, in some builds you could have 6 instants + sorceries in the grave, just paying this with 2 lands.

• This card just seems like a red Treasure Cruise with prowess in a burn deck. Gitaxian Probes and Mental Missteps make it easy to get 6 in the bin.

• My first though was it trades with a Loadstone. But you're dead before you can discard to hand size 6 times.

• This card sucks for the same reasons thing in the ice sucks, having a bunch of instants/sorceries in your deck is a hefty requirement.

• @Aaron-Patten Came here to say something similar. This smells like a "fixed" treasure cruise -- though it may be so different that the comparison is no longer useful. Unlike cruise:

(1) It costs RR instead of U when it's at its best. (Bad!)
    (2) It leaves behind a 3/4 Prowess creature. (Good!)
    (3) Fetchlands do not fuel his "delve" cost. (Bad!)
    (4) He does not consume the graveyard cards, so you can cast him in multiples. (Good!)
    (5) He makes you discard your hand when you cast him. (Bad!)
    (6) He can be deployed off of Show and Tell or Oath. (Good!)

All things considered, this card seems like it might do what Treasure Cruise did, but in a different kind of deck. This could be a very powerful card in older formats if there is a deck where RR is a trivial mana cost.

• @gkraigher said:

This card sucks for the same reasons thing in the ice sucks, having a bunch of instants/sorceries in your deck is a hefty requirement.

However, unlike Thing in the Ice, Chaos Reveler does not require that you cast the necessary number of instants/sorceries. Fail to cast enough spells with TITI, you have a defender. Fail to cast enough spells with Reveler, you have to pay a bit extra.

• It pains me greatly when people judge a card by how well it fits in (insert deck here)

This card is playable and could be nuts in the right deck, it probably doesn't fit in any of the current decks (maybe a pyromancer variant) I have some ideas I'm mulling around

• I actually immediately saw this as a 3-of in Modern burn. i think Legacy burn would love it too. Vintage doesn't have burn deck due to too many sphere effects and missteps. Burn is the only thing I can see this being good in at the moment. It's RR requirement seems to be a lot in any other strategy and I'm not sure what other deck types would fill the yard with instants/sorceries and at the same time not want to be drawing lots of cards or holding counter magic. On an empty hand, this is nice. On a hand of 3, it's a winds of change on a stick, which sucks.

• You don't "need" 6 instants/sorceries in the grave. You can have 4 and he costs 2RR. Would a 3/3 for 2RR that said "draw 3 when etb" not be good?

• @Thewhitedragon69

Even in modern burn, 3 of is way too many. If you draw 2 in your opening hand, you have to mulligan . Multiple copies of this card is really bad, as they do not have synergy if they are already in your hand. That happens more often than chaining into drawing multiples, as you have 3 chances to chain into a 2nd, while you have your starting hand 7 cards + 3-4 draws before this card is being cast. So its like 11 chances to draw multiples vs 3 chance of it being good in multiples.

But i do see your point as it being a playable card that can effectly treasure cruse and add board presence.

Still, I don't like this card in vintage at all. And I don't think I like this card in legacy, except as maybe a sideboard 1 of.

Red Deck Wins needs every single card to matter, and I think if red decks wanted more access to card advantage, simply splashing blue would be a much more efficient route.

I don't see how, in any world, you would ever want this card over ancestral recall, brainstorm, treasure cruise, or dig through time if you are playing a vintage burn deck. And treasure cruise and dig through time make this card much worse.

• This guy is good. Gives new meaning to the concept "velocity". Hearkens back to Champs 2014 when 3-4x Treasure Cruise decks dominated the top 8.

In the right deck he's like a Tarmogoyf with an Ancestral on it. The effect is so powerful that you can actually support Izzet Charm over Fire//Ice, which is saying something -- straight looting is usually awful in Vintage. I've been tinkering with this list and it's going very well. This is still an early draft, but just for a starting point:

3 Bedlam Reveler
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer

1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    1 Dack Fayden

1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Treasure Cruise
    3 Gush
    4 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Time Walk
    2 Izzet Charm

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep

1 Smash to Smithereens
    4 Lightning Bolt

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Island

Sideboard:
    1 Price of Progress
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Disenchant
    3 Containment Priest
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Mountain

Plays like a Legacy UR Delver deck from a couple years ago, where you're just blitzing your opponent and making super aggressive tempo plays (e.g. Missteping Probes and Forcing Gushes and so on), supported by the power of Reveler to refill your hand. Give it a shot, I think you'll have fun.

and kudos to B. Kelly for the white splash idea -- works very well!

p.s. you should edit the post title to "Bedlam Reveler" since we've received its proper English translation by now.

• since im a madman i will jam it in vintage storm next month and let you know how that goes.
    in fact theres a modern event coming up ill jam it in modern storm just because why not.

information to follow sometime in a couple weeks.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.