Infinite Scroll & Pagination Settings

• I have a suspicion that I may be in a very small minority, but I am not a fan of the "infinite scroll" feature that has become popular on the Internet over the last few years.

While it might just be me, I figured I'd let other members know that, in our user preferences, we have two options for how to experience the new forums.

The default setting for every new user seems to be the "infinite scroll" option. Should you not prefer that, you can change this within the "Settings" page. There's a "Pagination" section toward the end of the list, which has an unchecked option titled "Paginate topics and posts instead of using infinite scroll." By checking this, the forum will organize in a more traditional way that is similar to the old website.

I personally find pagination useful for looking back on old threads and keeping a potentially large amount of information organized and contained. Continuously scrolling down amidst potentially hundreds of responses is something that always bothers me, but, as I said, I feel like I may be in the minority with this.

Either way, I just wanted to bring this to the light for those who might also want to make this change.

Happy posting!

• TMD Supporter

@Greg Thanks for sharing this! I'm in the same boat with you. Much better now.

• Administrators

Nice catch Greg! I continue to be impressed with this software, I think it was a real good choice for the site :D

• Pagination isn't as good was it was at the old site. The main deficiency is that you can't jump to the second or third page without clicking on the first post and scrolling to the bottom. Ideally I would like the page numbers to appear next to the thread title.

• Thanks for sharing this. The B&R Thread has already become too long for infinite scroll to be convenient. It would be nice if we could have page navigation at the top of the thread as well though.

• In addition to this, clicking a thread from the unread section leads to the top of the thread so on a thread like B&R, I've got a ton of scrolling to do every single time.

• TMD Supporter

@thecravenone You can change the sorting to have it display the newest replies first, which is what I have done.

• @spook said:

Ideally I would like the page numbers to appear next to the thread title.

@GHitchHiker said:

It would be nice if we could have page navigation at the top of the thread as well though.

@Brass-Man, is it possible to update the forum's layout to include either of these suggestions?

• Administrators

@Greg I would guess that's possible. I use infinite scroll (no pagination) with the site, so I'm not sure exactly what kind of page navigation widgets would be helpful. Some more details might be useful here!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.