taking hollywood by storm.

• yo peeps, this is the round by round report of me playing a dark petition storm varient at knightware on july 17.

Round 1 Gone Fishing:
    G1 won the die roll which is always nice, turn 1 consisted of dark ritual mox land dt for lotus to cast petition for necro and then necrod for 9 and passed the turn. opp played a curse catcher and didn't really a hand to beat storm. my first necro hand was rather bad so i simply cast 2 discard spells a probe and necrod for 6 more. proceeded to win the following turn

G2 on the draw opp had all of the things, 2 forces a mistep a wasteland a catcher a vial and an image. he proceeded to draw island and standstill which pretty much ended the game.

G3 on the play keep a turn 3 tinker hand, opp has 2 images silvergil lord 2 lands. end up tinkering for a robot forcing silvergil to chump with the lord buff making it 9 infect. opp plays image to copy robot. burning wish for void snare to get in lethal.

• IN - 2 defense grid
    • OUT 1 probe 1 duress

Round 2 grixis pyro (it was danny HI DANNY) my notes are rather lacking in this round
    G1 lost the die roll opp mull to 5 because he knows im on storm. cabal therapy's dark ritual. doesn't matter much still get the turn 1 necro established necro for 7 pass turn. opp land drop holding up 1 counterspell i think, probe duress to take it combo out the classic way with yawg.

G2 game went a few turns i had to run a petition into a fluster using 3 lands and a sol ring. opp misplays by not daking my sol ring and insted pyromancer + gush + land. i get to cast the another petition a turn later and go off but am going to end up 1 mana short of the lethal tendrils so i have to crack LED for blue to flashback brainstorm with BBUU floating and draw tendrils. sometimes you just have to get lucky.

• IN - 2 defense grid
    • OUT 1 petition 1 cabal rit

Round 3 The Mentor Menace
    G1 manage to win the die roll but broke my own rule about keeping hands that dont do anything, kept 2 probes lotus dark rit land mox scry cabal rit to the bottom. probe and see horrible things, recall, DT, far//away, sea, snare, clique. probes draw into blanks. opp recalls himself. plays a clique 2 turns later and i only draw 1 action spell for 6 turns befor it kills me.

G2 on the play opp keeps 6 impulse notion thief tundra brainstorm fluster, fetch. my hand consists of a twister some fast mana and a duress, so since im never beating any of these cards i opt to duress into twister.twist him into lotus RIP aegis of hexproof, strand strand library delta. so i tinker for a robot and it goes unanswered.

G3 opp kept a library hand on the play, leak, leak, pearl, tundra, snare, impulse medling mage. i have to run a couple spells into mana leaks and mage comes down naming petition. i eventually i draw my defense grid get past all the countermagic and get to cast a burning wish for a massacre to kill mage and dark petition for a yawg win.

• IN - 2 defense grid 1 chain of vapor
    • OUT 1 petition 1 cabal rit 1 probe

Round 4 this shop is too expensive
    G1 win the die roll huza. mull to 4 boo. probe and see chalice ravager thorn eldrazi temple wurmcoil tangle wire. mox have to duress chalice. opp draws workshop becase of course he does. i vamp for a wheel since im not winning on a 4 card hand. get wasted so i cant cast it. but draw a land and wheel into things i cant cast. opp plays a lodestone another thorn and a strip mine... GG

G2 keep a sol ring triple land hand with dt and a ritual. open with land sol ring. gets revokered. play another land dt for pulverize because clearly im going to need it. opp plaus jitte thorn quip cause lotus. also academy lest him put a lodestone in play -_-. take 2 more. pulverize all of these things. proceed to brick for 5 turns while trike kills me.

• IN - 1 pulverize 1 hurkyls 1 chain of vapor
    • OUT 2 cabal therapy 1 duress.
      *note 1 pulverize is left in the board to wish for

Round 5 opp wanted lunch
    G1 we drew and went to lunch
    G2 having still drawn continued lunch
    G3 i opted to drop french fries on the floor ending lunch.well played gravity.

• IN double double
    • OUT quesadilla

top 8 im ranked 2nd so i get the play alot. hurray for standings going for rule.

Top 8 quarters rematch vs danny gixis pyro.
    G1 not sure how this game went because game 2 was silly. but i won.
    G2 once again turn 1 therapy naming dark rit. unfortunately for him mox mox land tinker for a robot. sometimes you just vintage.

Top 8 semi with all this fish i should have gotten sushi for lunch
    G1 land the classic turn 1 necro easily win after necro for 9 on turn 1

G2 i misplay by not using lotus to pay for the 2nd curse catcher on my time twister. but i wasn't expecting the null rod to come down and ruin my day. my hand had a petition and a yawg will and now i could cast neither T_T dead to a pile of lords.

G3 have the most roundabout necro in history using 8 cards to get it into play. after keeping a turn 1 recall hand. necro for 9 but cant get through double fluster+daze so necro for another 7 under no preassure from the fish he simply lacks enough countermagic. his game 3 keep was questionable as well with double flsuter daze 2 lands and a waste

(we opted to split top 2 but for the honor of best storm deck we had to play)
    Top 8 finals the storm shootout
    G1 still on the play got the super nutty turn 1 kill with tendrils after wheeling into all of the things. wheeled with B floating hit 2 rituals a dark petition the yawg will and a petal. once again sometimes you vintage.

G2 opp duress's my hand to but its hard to know what to take when my hand is DT, petition, manavault, academy, sea, jar, and a probe. i end up resolving the jar on turn 2 using the mana vault. and dont die decide to go to my draw step and hit a mox cast petition and respond with the jar. needless to say the game ended shortly.

• IN nothing
    • OUT nothing

decklist

//Artifact (12)
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Memory Jar
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    //Artifact Creature (1)
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    //Enchantment (1)
    1 Necropotence
    //Instant (9)
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    //Sorcery (25)
    2 Burning Wish
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Petition
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Mind's Desire
    1 Ponder
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Time Walk
    1 Timetwister
    1 Tinker
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    //Land (12)
    2 Badlands
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tolarian Academy
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    SB: 1 Cabal Therapy
    SB: 1 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 2 Defense Grid
    SB: 1 Beseech the queen
    SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 2 Massacre
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 2 Pulverize
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Treasure Cruise
    SB: 1 Void Snare
    SB: 1 Windfall

well im aparently quite bad at keeping track of my games. hopefully its not too fragmented to be readable.

• What's past in flames for?

• @desolutionist said:

What's past in flames for?

for when i value will in the early game and then needs to flash things back again 2 turns later.

• TMD Supporter

Congrats on your win.

I think I own most of those cards online (not IRL) so maybe I'll try it to see how it goes. I really like having the one Bargain though.

• @Islandswamp said:

Congrats on your win.

I think I own most of those cards online (not IRL) so maybe I'll try it to see how it goes. I really like having the one Bargain though.

Thanks.

2 things then about the sideboard then, the beseech the queen needs to be cut for an engineered explosives. and 2nd it might need a copy of ingot chewer. because the shops matchup is still awful.

• TMD Supporter

@snowydude the reason I'm playing pack rat is shops/thorn decks. @desolutionist convinced me to try it. I haven't had a ton of games against shops to test it, but I can say I never lost to shops with a pack rat out. They'll try to revoker it, but that's where my bounce spells and plague spitter come in. It's not perfect, but it is remarkable how well it worked for me.

• @Islandswamp im probably just salty about bricking for 4 turns straight the matchup isnt unwinable or anything. just need to tinker more.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.