MTGO July 2016 Power 9 Challenge

I sometimes see rogue decks like Infect+Blazing Shoal, Elves, Lorescale Coatl aggro, etc in the 1 vs 1 queues. I'm guessing some of these are legacy decks that people are trying powered versions of.

@snowydude said:

further proof that gush is too much of the meta and that storm is still the best deck of the format. thank you data charts. btw what exactly is other? did someone play a sweet off the wall deck you couldnt identify?

BG Painter's Grindstone/Death's Shadow/Spoils of the Vault/Blood Pet 0-X goodness...

@evouga said:

I sometimes see rogue decks like Infect+Blazing Shoal, Elves, Lorescale Coatl aggro, etc in the 1 vs 1 queues. I'm guessing some of these are legacy decks that people are trying powered versions of.

You are being optimistic...one player in one Power 9 ran what appeared to be a M15 Precon. He stuck it out the entire event and ended up 1-6.

@snowydude said:

further proof that gush is too much of the meta and that storm is still the best deck of the format. thank you data charts. btw what exactly is other? did someone play a sweet off the wall deck you couldnt identify?

Im not gonna get into gush, but there is no way DPS is the best deck of the format, not in paper anyways

@ChubbyRain I got the idea from your post in TiTI discussion thread some time ago, so thanks. It's getting less and less stormy though.

Congrats to the winners!

last edited by maciek16180

@rikter im just going to go with "scoreboard" 66.7% win rate against the field. just edging oath out by 5ish%

wait wait how can you claim dps is not the best paper deck? what pratell do you think is the best paper deck. also while your at it whats the best online deck?

@snowydude The sample size is way too small to start making claims like that. There are a huge number of factors that influence every event. You can take "scoreboard" on it's own when the sample size is large enough to eliminate variance.

@Hrishi in case it wasnt obvious that post was somewat sarcastic. not 100% but ya know not super serious.

how many players exactly do you want in a vintage sample size? its not like we can just throw a 300 man vintage event together.

Congrats diophan on the back-to-back.

Looks like one take-away is the return of black. 11/18 decks played it.

@ChubbyRain said:

one player in one Power 9 ran what appeared to be a M15 Precon. He stuck it out the entire event and ended up 1-6.

Everybody knows that if you want to win a Vintage tournament, you need to use the Jace precon.

Kidding aside, congratulations to Ryan for back-to-back victories.

More than that, big thanks to Ryan and Matt for doing this analysis for us.

congrats @diophan for knocking me out of two of these in a row!

🙂

@snowydude said:

@rikter im just going to go with "scoreboard" 66.7% win rate against the field. just edging oath out by 5ish%

wait wait how can you claim dps is not the best paper deck? what pratell do you think is the best paper deck. also while your at it whats the best online deck?

I make a distinction between paper and online play because I dont play online, and I dont know all the quirks of card availability that might shape deck choices, and by extension the meta.

Best deck? Probably Jeskai mentor followed by ravager/tks.

Zero Workshops in top 16?

#restrictThorn

@Prospero

There were only 7 Shop players and the metagame is very hostile toward Workshops.

  1. Gush has undergone a transformation to deal with Eldrazi. It plays a lot of creature removal so the current build of Shops (lots of creatures) is incredibly bad.

  2. Storm now has Pack Rat, which makes the matchup absurdly in favor of Storm. The top 16 Storm list (MRP900) had Pack Rat, while Becks84 did not. Since combo split with Shops, I'm assuming the Pack Rat version won?

  3. Big blue has a robust mana base right out of the gate; literally doesn't matter if Shops resolves 2Sphere effects.

I suspect Shops could be a lot better if someone updated it.

last edited by desolutionist

@desolutionist i wouldnt say it as harsh as you did, shops is still very playable and is a strong archetype, however its true that the meta has more and more adjusted to it and shops suffers from the meta adjusting to other decks and strategies that overlap with shops weaknesses.

Yeah I think Shops is an eternal player in Vintage; just seems like it needs to undergo a transformation once a year to remain competitive.

@desolutionist Speaking of pack rat storm, this was by far the most amusing play of the P9 for me:

alt text

Before blockers, pyroblast a mox, misstep pyroblast 3 times.

@diophan now imagine if the pack rat player had a copy of wonder

@diophan

I don't think Pack Rat is very good against horizontal growth creatures 😛

I can't speak for everyone, but nobody in the New York Shop community is working on the pillar, and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon. Playing Shops in Vintage is anathema to me right now, and that's not going to change until at least one of the recent restrictions comes back. There is no reason to fight with Shops when the deck is so clearly stacked against you.

I'm looking to play something other than Shops at Waterbury, which will be the only Vintage event I play in for the rest of 2016 if nothing is done in September (I don't think anything is being done in September).

  • 89
    Posts
  • 64719
    Views