Vintage 101: Anything but Gush...

• TMD Supporter

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/vintage-101-anything-but-gush

Moonglove Extract is the hottest spec opportunity this century.

I originally planned to write about the Waterbury, but I felt that I should wait until after I go to my first one. I know this is an important event series, and I wanted to make sure I had enough time to do it justice.

• Interesting article, but I'm confused as to why a Grixis Thieves deck is labeled Blue Moon, especially since there are no moons (or space stations).

• not playing jar in that storm list is weird. but i guess i dont tinker for it very often either.
    also GAH another person playing library in storm.

• Thanks Joe for yet another good article. I always want to try out the lists you highlight. This time it was the Grixis Thieves list. Good luck with the paper tourney.

• TMD Supporter

@waz it's because a computer algorithm names the decks. That deck must have been closest to blue moom currently, and there was no category for grixis thieves to put it in.

• @Islandswamp said:

@waz it's because a computer algorithm names the decks. That deck must have been closest to blue moom currently, and there was no category for grixis thieves to put it in.

That is actually really cool...

• @snowydude

I don't mean to sound like a douchebag, but If you say gah to someone playing Library in storm, then you most likely have a lot to learn about the archetype and current metagame.

Blue decks, counterspells and card draw are at an all time high in the metagame and LOA is an uncounterable one card win condition against them. Drawing extra cards lets you sculpt a winning hand, while trading one for one with your opponent through hand disruption and bait spells until you can overwhelm their defenses and win. You are typically not going under 7 cards in hand until you are ready to win, so maintaining it isn't very hard.
    It can also be very helpful against shops/ eldrazi (if they aren't able to wasteland it) by letting you hit your land-drops/find an answer.

• @Macdeath

yea, dont worry about sounding like a douche. considering everyone on mana drain claims im wrong i stopped caring. no point in even bothering to try when im clearly 100% wrong all of time.

• Administrators

@snowydude Don't be so sure everyone disagrees with you all the time. People are a lot more motivated to respond to a post when they don't agree with it. Most people who see someone they agree with just think "well he said all I was going to say anyway!"

... of course technically this means I'm disagreeing with your post, so maybe there's something there :D

Personally I like Library in storm, but that's because I play the deck very defensively, and in some lists/metas/matchups, that can be a real mistake (a reason why I don't consider myself a combo expert)

• @Brass-Man i dont want to hijack islandswamps perfectly good article thread to talk about this.

• Administrators

I don't know, I feel like discussing the value of a slot from one of the decklists is on topic enough for an article thread ... but I really don't feel strongly about it so I'll drop it.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.