Vintage Soldiers?

• I may be just throwing ideas out in the dark but let's brew some jank. Right now, the main prison-aggro decks are shops and eldrazi. I feel like soldiers, with first strike, can be a formidable tribe. I brewed a first draft and it seems ok. I'm currently trying to tune it and the SB is a mess but I figured i'd share. The goal is to use Preeminent Captain to cheat out fatties. Backup plan is fast mana + Daru Warchief to power out undercosted fatties as well.

Currently considering Field Marshal over Captain of the Watch, and trying to find space for Ballyrush Banneret.

Creatures: 24
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Enlistment Officer
    1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    4 Daru Warchief
    4 Captain of the Watch

Artifacts: 12
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

Lands: 24
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Ancient Tomb
    9 Plains
    2 Karakas

Sideboard: 15
    SB: 3 Stony Silence
    SB: 3 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Kataki, War's Wage
    SB: 2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    SB: 3 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Aegis of the Gods

• I love Soldiers, but there's a reason why no one plays with Preeminent Captain, even in Modern or Legacy. Consider the difference between Warren Instigator and Goblin Lackey. The Instigator is enormously more powerful, and yet no one plays him. Why? Because the ability to cheat our creatures is so dependent on that first turn window where you slip in under 2-drops that making your Goblin cheater cost 2 makes it nigh-unplayable.

Captain costs 3 mana, so... you can see the problem here.

I feel like a Soldiers list may have enough disruption off the typical white heatebears (half of them named Thalia) to get a game here or there, but the tribal synergies are not worth going in that direction, yet.

• The thing is lackey or instigator needs to connect to cheat something in. Captain needs to just attack.

• @Naixin Yeah, that is nice, but we're still talking about swinging on turn 3 or 4 to start deploying your threats. Its not like you can sneak in a Big Thalia before they resolve a blocker, for example.

• @Naixin If you aren't already Zach Dobbin, I recommend contacting him on Facebook. He's perfected the deck for Legacy and will have valuable insight on just what Soldiers can do. As it stands your decklist looks great on paper. My only suggestion right off the back is to find room for Chalice of the Void in the 75.

• @MaximumCDawg valid concerns. I never think this deck will be more than a deck to have fun with on the side.

I think maybe increasing fast mana can work. The deck really only needs 1 or 2 threats to function. Perhaps more mana heavy for the turn 1 captain to turn 2 good stuff.

• Suppression Field is one of the best cards in the legacy version

• @wfain I love suppression field but I don't think it's that good in vintage since it doesn't stop moxes

• @Naixin true, but it does hit fetch lands pretty hard

• Oh, man, You gotta check Recruiter of the Guard:

alt text

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.