[CN2] Recruiter of the Guard

There are too many good white creatures now for me to conceivably see this making any real impact. If you want to build around it with a toolbox, I suppose that is possible to make work, but as someone who has played a lot of Imperial Recruiter in the past, I'm not sure that is a valid strategy anymore. Paying 3 mana to tutor a hatebear is such a major tempo loss, and can often give your opponent the window they need to kill you. You also often have to have ESP when it comes to what bear you are fetching as you need to be one step ahead of your opponent with your hatebears for them to be optimal.

@vaughnbros For Vintage, I agree (crazy new Aluren developments excepted). Maybe if they print solid hateful 1-drops. In the meantime, this is a Legacy-level card, and a good one there.

If I were inclined to go toolbox in a 5c humans shell I would go with trinket mage + cage, pithing needle, sensis top, chalice before this.

@gkraigher flickering this with displacer as a form of card advantage sounds amazing. Might be win more, as both cards cost three, but as an incidental combo of cards you'd play anyway it seems legit.

@Islandswamp You should have 3 mana on turn 2 with the deck that would play those cards because you cannot keep a hand without a mox against most decks; you need the turn 1 hatebear. The other way this happens is if you're playing Ancient Tomb which is picking up popularity along with Thorn of Amethyst, and that might be the best way to run the manabase so you can get out Eldrazi Displacer, new Thalia, and Recruiter super quick.

@Water0 said:

@Islandswamp You should have 3 mana on turn 2 with the deck that would play those cards because you cannot keep a hand without a mox against most decks; you need the turn 1 hatebear. The other way this happens is if you're playing Ancient Tomb which is picking up popularity along with Thorn of Amethyst, and that might be the best way to run the manabase so you can get out Eldrazi Displacer, new Thalia, and Recruiter super quick.

A deck like this never wants to play Thorn.

@Water0
They would be wrong then. Glowrider and Vryn Wingmare are both strict updates to Thorn.

Edit: Oh, we're talking about two different decks. You are talking about Eldrazi, I'm talking about White Trash. I guess we're both right then.

last edited by JuzamJim

@JuzamJim I wouldn't call cards you can't play on turn 1 that also die to the same removal as the rest of your deck (Massacre, Toxic Deluge, Supreme Verdict, Balance, Pyroclasm, etc.) "strictly worse," and it's more of a hybrid deck that may be the best "hatebears" shell.

@Water0
In a deck like White Trash, I'd say Vryn Wingmare and Glowrider are strict updates even though they get hit by mass removals like you mention. It's not a big deal that you can't play them on turn 1 as you have a lot of other turn 1 plays (although Wizard do seem to be producing a lot of 3cc creatures for White Trash, which makes this statement less true). Also remember that Thorn doesn't cost 2 a lot of the time.

I do agree that these "hybrid" decks you link to might be the best hatebear shell out there (as I've said many times in various threads that White Trash isn't really viable at the moment) and that Thorn is probably better in this shell.

Views