[KLD] Rashmi, Eternities Crafter

• alt text

This is an analog to Jori En. Although it's more expensive and doesn't replace itself the turn it comes into play, on the long run it's waaaay better. Even if you never reveal a card with lower cost than what you play, you'll always draw 1 from whatever you play.
    I think this is insane. I'm not sure it's casting cost allows Vintage playability, specially when you can just play Mentor and win, but this isn't taking Mentor slots, but maybe other draw engines. They theoretical Leovold BUG deck got a new friend?

• I'm very down on this card. A reminder: if you can cast this, there's a high probability you can cast Jace, The Mind Sculptor

• Leovold and this lady are both Elves, so it passes the Cavern test for viability in the theoretical BUG deck.

• This card looks absolutely nutty to me if you manage to get it into play. It's miles easier to trigger than Jori En and you will be able to cast the spell for free a nontrivial amount of the time, thanks to expensive alternate cost staples like Force of Will, Gush, Dig Through Time, Ingot Chewer, etc. Add Sensei's Divining Top for even greater absurdity.

This card reminds me quite a bit of Magus of the Future, and like Magus, isn't really great outside of the blue mirror.

• With some more time to think about this card, here are some advantages/disadvantages I'm observing:

1. It's kind of like a recurring cascade with an upside to just keep drawing cards if you play a Mox or something.
    2. It works on each turn. Cast a counterspell on your opponents turn? Get a card. If that spell is a FoW, then reveal and put Leovold into play for free? That seems like some serious value.
    3. 3 Toughness is really hard to embrace.
    4. Mana cost is also kind of high, but it can be supported with Moxen and DRS, which is also an Elf.
    5. Gush being 5 mana opens a ton of doors for value, not to mention filling your hand and leaving you mana to boot.

I look forward to giving this card a try in non-White Blue decks... maybe even with Gush. Kiora 1.0 might have a new friend. Vintage playable? Perhaps not, but it looks fun as heck to play.

• @enderfall said:

1. It works on each turn. Cast a counterspell on your opponents turn? Get a card. If that spell is a FoW, then reveal and put Leovold into play for free?

I'm not sure. Does this override timing restrictions too?

• @enderfall said:

With some more time to think about this card, here are some advantages/disadvantages I'm observing:

1. It's kind of like a recurring cascade with an upside to just keep drawing cards if you play a Mox or something.
    2. It works on each turn. Cast a counterspell on your opponents turn? Get a card. If that spell is a FoW, then reveal and put Leovold into play for free? That seems like some serious value.
    3. 3 Toughness is really hard to embrace.
    4. Mana cost is also kind of high, but it can be supported with Moxen and DRS, which is also an Elf.
    5. Gush being 5 mana opens a ton of doors for value, not to mention filling your hand and leaving you mana to boot.

I look forward to giving this card a try in non-White Blue decks... maybe even with Gush. Kiora 1.0 might have a new friend. Vintage playable? Perhaps not, but it looks fun as heck to play.

I think you misunderstand the card.

Ad1) If you play a mox and reveal a card with a higher CMC you don't get to put it into your hand. The revealed card has to have a CMC lower than the card you play. Then you get to cast it for free but if you don't, it goes into your hand.

Ad2) It doesn't work that way. You obviously can't play non-instants at an instant speed all of a sudden.

• @JuzamJim You're actually wrong on both counts.

1. All the last sentence says is if you don't cast the revealed card, put it into your hand. So you can put any card you reveal off of this into your hand. Even if you play a mox and reveal a gush you can't cast the gush for free, but you put it into your hand. It only cares about the CMC of the card if you're trying to cast it.

2. It says you can cast it without paying its mana cost, this is similar to miracles or cascade were the ability lets you cast it right at that moment even if normal timing would prevent it. So just like in legacy where you can cast a sorcery terminus in your opponents combat step, or when you cascade into tarmogoyf and can cast it even though there is a shardless agent on the stack, you can cast a monastery mentor at end of your opponents turn if you reveal this after you cast a dig through time.

• @Vnayin said:

@JuzamJim You're actually wrong on both counts.

1. All the last sentence says is if you don't cast the revealed card, put it into your hand. So you can put any card you reveal off of this into your hand. Even if you play a mox and reveal a gush you can't cast the gush for free, but you put it into your hand. It only cares about the CMC of the card if you're trying to cast it.

2. It says you can cast it without paying its mana cost, this is similar to miracles or cascade were the ability lets you cast it right at that moment even if normal timing would prevent it. So just like in legacy where you can cast a sorcery terminus in your opponents combat step, or when you cascade into tarmogoyf and can cast it even though there is a shardless agent on the stack, you can cast a monastery mentor at end of your opponents turn if you reveal this after you cast a dig through time.

You are probably right. Sorry for any confusion!

• I think the only thing which prevents this from being totally OP in formats with free/cheap spells, is that it is a creature and can get interacted with easily. I wonder if Mindbreak Trap becomes a MD staple again? Jace is good, but that gal draws more cards and cheats mana.

• Also, if for some reason Leovold starts running around everywhere, much like Dark Confidant and Fact or Fiction, this is a source of card advantage that doesn't use the word "draw".

• @enderfall Are you trying to say my Spirit of the Labyrinth doesn't shut down everything?!

Jokes aside, this seems like a neat card that could go into some sort of BUG midrange/control deck with Leovold like you said. Bob and Rashmi will make sure your hand is stocked.

• Legit vintage card

• @Water0 Yeah, SotL and Notion Thief too. Consecrated Sphinx (sort of)...

• alt text

Anyone mention Sylvan Mentor yet? Because this card is absolutely busted with Sylvan Library, much more so than JTMS (I'd run them both, but...).

• @ChubbyRain I was thinking about divining top... Gush, this triggers, pop top draw card, trigger resolves replay top for free draw two for gush is a thing here, yes?

• Hrm. It's Joru En on steriods; you draw each turn and occasionally also produce mana. Card seems really screwy... but it does cost four, so... I'm not sold. We've seen utility creatures at four before, like Notion Theif, but not in large numbers.

• Costing 4 is a huge drawback. I really like the card but I find difficult to put this over jace, specially since jace works the same turn it gets into play and has other abilities.

On the other side it's really powerful, with nice synergy with countermagic and specially SDT, since it triggers it and allows choosing the played spell.

Will it work? Maybe in control decks capable of surviving initial turns and deploying this safely.

• I really like this card, but 4 cmc is a real concern. I could see a BUG type deck with a draw engine like:

2 Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest, though it's not really a draw engine.

And perhaps Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and/or Snapcaster Mage as well.

But Jace might just be better.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.