Ability to Block individual users

• @Smmenen said:

As I said:

The 'signal-to-noise' example illustrates this well. In a particular thread, the reason to block a poster for this reason is one user's belief that the poster in question is posting "noise" - posting ideas or responses that aren't on point. Yet, that may simply be a function of the specific discussion, rather than the poster's habits or tendencies. Yet, permitting a block function would cause that poster to miss the "signal" the user might provide in another thread.

and something prevents them from unblocking said person should such a situation occur?

• @snowydude said:

@Smmenen said:

As I said:

The 'signal-to-noise' example illustrates this well. In a particular thread, the reason to block a poster for this reason is one user's belief that the poster in question is posting "noise" - posting ideas or responses that aren't on point. Yet, that may simply be a function of the specific discussion, rather than the poster's habits or tendencies. Yet, permitting a block function would cause that poster to miss the "signal" the user might provide in another thread.

and something prevents them from unblocking said person should such a situation occur?

They won't know. If you've blocked someone who you thought was "noise" in one thread, then you would necessarily miss the "signal" in another.

• @Smmenen said:

They won't know. If you've blocked someone who you thought was "noise" in one thread, then you would necessarily miss the "signal" in another.

@Smmenen @Brass-Man
    what about making it so that the post shows up with a message like
    "this post has been hidden" or "user blocked"

like it does for deleted posts? that way you can be aware that the person you blocked posted without actually needing to read what it was that they posted?

• @snowydude In between the 70 post discussion was a video of what Andy had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9upg0wLXew&feature=youtu.be

• And for the record, it says "This message is hidden because its author is in your ignored list." Thank you, @Brass-Man.

• @ChubbyRain said:

@snowydude In between the 70 post discussion was a video of what Andy had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9upg0wLXew&feature=youtu.be

i was unaware. and i even tried to read the entire thread too.

whos andy?

• Administrators

@snowydude Andy = me ... in this context anyway

• Administrators

I've added the ability to ignore users. I'm locking this thread so this message doesn't get lost in noise, but feel free to continue the discussion elswhere - TMD's design should always be an ongoing conversation.

ignoring/unignoring users can be done through their profile page.

The fact that I added the feature does not mean I don't share the concerns of people who didn't want it implemented. If it looks like the feature starts causing more trouble than it solves, it's easy enough to remove.

The purpose of the ignore feature is not way to shut down people who ignore you, but a tool to help you be civil. It's for avoiding a situation where you know you can't trust yourself to post responsibly. If you choose to ignore someone, do not make a song and dance about how you've done so - that's it's own kind of harassment and runs completely counter to what we're trying to accomplish.

As always, feel free to contact me (via PM, email, facebook) with any questions or feedback.

• Administrators

Unfortunately the plugin I was using to implement the ignore/mute feature was causing some buggy behavior among a subset of users. I've temporarily disabled the feature until I can figure out what the issue is, or find another solution.

In the meantime, please try to be civil with whoever you would have otherwise ignored. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.