Conspiracy cards on MTGO! (in November...)

• Source: Lee Sharpe's Tumblr article

I will not be playing "Vintage" on MTGO until November then. Consider this an unofficial start to an unofficial boycott (or something like that). Who's with me?

Obligatory South Park gif:

alt text

• This whole situation is bull crap. We shouldn't have to boycott because that only hurts the community, not WotC. But then again who wants to play some bastardized version of Vintage for 2+ months?

• TMD Supporter

There are a few BUG cards I'd love to test, but MODO doesn't allow it. Glad I sold out of that long ago.

• @enderfall said:

This whole situation is bull crap. We shouldn't have to boycott because that only hurts the community, not WotC. But then again who wants to play some bastardized version of Vintage for 2+ months?

Are the cards in Conspiracy really that good where the format will be dramatically different for 2 months?

• @vaughnbros said:

@enderfall said:

This whole situation is bull crap. We shouldn't have to boycott because that only hurts the community, not WotC. But then again who wants to play some bastardized version of Vintage for 2+ months?

Are the cards in Conspiracy really that good where the format will be dramatically different for 2 months?

Leovold is ridiculously annoying and quite good.

• @vaughnbros I haven't tested any, but that's because they aren't on MTGO and I don't have a paper playgroup. Leovold, Sanctum Prelate, and Daretti all look interesting in the least.

• @enderfall said:

We shouldn't have to boycott because that only hurts the community, not WotC.

Seconded. I buy my tix 200 at a time because they're cheaper that way. WotC has already gotten my money. Boycotting just means that my tix take slightly longer to disappear.

@vaughnbros said:

I think the lack of Sanctum Prelate is pretty big. White Trash with 3-4 Prelate and 4 Recruiter of the Guard has been the go-to deck for a lot of local players. It made the finals of our last (admittedly small event). The difference between White Trash with and without those two cards is probably the difference between "I'm going to play this and try to win this event" and "I'm going to play this and I hope I do okay."

What really kills me about this announcement is that it comes across as if they had no idea that this was going to be a problem. They printed cards with clear Eternal impact and twelve days after the official paper release, their best statement is "We expect these cards to be added to Magic Online in November" in a manor that we can't publicly disclose at this time. It sounds a lot like they're hoping they can figure something out by then.

Our card set team is currently focused on delivering Kaladesh*. After that releases, they will be working on ... new cards selected by R&D from Conspiracy: Take the Crown

*Paper release date 30 September. Magic Online release date 10 October

I fully expect that mid-November or early December, we'll get another post from the MTGO team about how they're now busy working on Aether Revolt (paper release 20 January, MTGO release 30 January) and they hope to get to Conspiracy2 by February.

For some previous sets that were not printed on MTGO, the MTGO team solved the issue by putting those cards in prize packs for cube. Cube returns two weeks from today. The plan should have been to have this cube update come with the new Conspiracy cards and have the new cards in cube prize packs.

Edit: Didn't finish that last sentence

• Wow, Recruiter is nuts. Tutor up the perfect hatebear for whatever you're facing

• One more thing that hasn't been pointed out yet:

Conspiracy 2 will not be available on MTGO until after Eternal weekend.

You will not get full testing in on MTGO alone. I really hope White Trash manages to win the event because then we'd have a second year in a row where the winner cannot be played on Magic Online.

• We touched on this in our podcast, but as annoying as it is that the MTGO and paper forms will diverge even more for a few months, there is an upside: it means that MTGO daily results won't be able to "solve" the Vintage format before the championship tournament. Maybe that will add to the intrigue around Eternal Weekend. Or maybe I'm just looking for a silver lining to an undesirable situation.

• Without even considering it as a boycott action, I have no idea why I would play on Magic Online from now until Champs. It's a sad day when people with thousands of dollars invested in vintage on MTGO need to turn to testing on Cockatrice.

• It seems really lazy, they're going to see which cards have a decent impact and then are going to bundle them into a set for us to buy packs of.

As a monowhite player who virtually exclusively fucks with MTGO and was looking forward to high velocity testing on MTGO I find this extremely lame.

• @Dumpsterac1d said:

It seems really lazy, they're going to see which cards have a decent impact and then are going to bundle them into a set for us to buy packs of.

I don't think this will be the case. I think that they're being careful with words to not guarantee every "traditional" card from Conspiracy. Many draft-matters cards like Garbage Fire are legal in Vintage but do nothing other than consume mana and add to storm count. Other Draft-Matters cards, eg Animus of Predation, are legal in the format and can do something, but there's no point to adding them. Without the draft, it's a Durkwood Boar (and strictly worse than almost all 21 other 4/4 for 4Gk)*, so there's no point in them making the effort to add it to MTGO.

*Okay, so maybe you're playing Avatar Tribal which makes him better.

• @thecravenone I agree, definitely, yet I can't help but think that, with their over-emphasis on "draftable sets" to the detriment of card selection (Eternal Masters), there could be interesting tech we just miss out on on MTGO. There's already a huge gaping hole in the back catalog that we just don't have access to because few players would dig that deep, I just didn't think they'd be in the business of choosing what we get access to when it comes to new printings. Most likely, every card we've had a thread for will be in whatever future Masters set, so I'm not worried about missing Recruiter, it's just that with limited selection of the back catalog, synergies are slightly more difficult to find with each new set. I don't want another Durkwood Boar, but I'd rather they give us access to it than not.

• TMD Supporter

This is definitely annoying. If they don't have enough programmers to do these things, they should hire more. I feel like they're plenty profitable and hasbro should allow them to invest in the platform.

• Here is an open letter I wrote to WOTC on reddit on this topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/51z0x6/an_open_letter_concerning_the_release_date_of_cn2/

Feel free to comment there or on TMD.

• @diophan Thank you for this. I sadly may not be able to make Eternal Weekend, but if I can, the fact we cannot test the new cards from a set before the biggest tournament of Vintage of the year, is very dissapointing. And for someone who can really only test online due to work and the fact we invested $ into mtgo, I'm confused on how they don't have a sense of urgency on this. Thank you again and I hope this gets the ball rolling.

Tom

• @ChubbyRain I also decided not to play a daily for the next few weeks since this meta will not reflect anything you would see in a paper meta with all of the new cards. So it seems rather pointless. Vintage players unite!

• @i_b_TRUE said:
    I'm confused on how they don't have a sense of urgency on this.

It's pretty clear: standard players don't care about CN2 and it can't be drafted on MTGO. The ROI is incredibly low, so they treat us like dirt. That's what happens when your business is about the bottom line above all else.

• It's not WotC's fault for pursuing profit, it is our (collective) fault for making it profitable to adopt the business model they have

• @enderfall well it's seems like we are on the same page here so I'm not sure if your questioning my comment or not?

But they know that they have Vintage/Legacy players playing online and players that have played VMA to acquire singles and spend money on their program. To me, they have known that Eternal Weekend is in October, they should have urgency on getting these cards to magic online for their customers before the largest tournament for these formats. Just my opinion

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.