Vintage 101: Spoiled Rotten by Kaladesh

• TMD Supporter

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/vintage-101-spoiled-rotten-by-kaladesh

Islandswamp is feeling spoiled rotten by all these sweet Kaladesh Spoilers! What cards could impact Vintage? Check it out and see...

• Very good article, but is there any reason you didn't write about the most powerful card from the set, Paradoxical Outcome?

• TMD Supporter

@JuzamJim I'm going to have to do a part two.
    When I wrote for puremtgo I had more time to work on each article.
    Nowadays I have much more limited time. I'd like to find a way to allocate more time to writing so that I can do more or longer articles.

You're right though, I should have discussed that card.

• @Islandswamp said:

@JuzamJim I'm going to have to do a part two.
    When I wrote for puremtgo I had more time to work on each article.
    Nowadays I have much more limited time. I'd like to find a way to allocate more time to writing so that I can do more or longer articles.

You're right though, I should have discussed that card.

Fair enough, looking forward to reading part two.
    I think you're pretty much spot on in evaluating the cards in this article.

• If you get a chance, might edit the paragraphs on orrery. It's a four drop, not a three.

An understandable mistake when you have to troll spoiler pages for card info,

Edit:

I also like the optimistic tone of the article. This set/block is exciting.

• Good write up!

• Yeah, I think the Drain here has threads for a lot of the very potentially busted cards in the set. most of which were not part of your review. Check those out and incorporate your thoughts, I say.

Also, I don't see the appeal to Drivin' Cars. They're a riff on equipment with some pluses and minuses:

• They have no equip cost to pay
    • They give SUBSEQUENT creatures "haste" by allowing them to tap immediately
    • They need to have haste or they do nothing when they arrive, unlike equipment which can be used immediately
    • They cannot be searched up with Stoneforge.
    • They typically five a power/toughness "bonus" smaller than playable equipment
    • They are useless on larger creatures, as exceeding the Crew cost means you're wasting power.

Ultimately, they still rely on having other creatures. Notice how only the really broken equipment gets played in Vintage? Or even Legacy? I don't see how any of the spoiled cars changes that.

• @MaximumCDawg I disagree, in part. Skysovereign has other benefits than haste and power plus. Even a TKS could crew it and benefit. Flying and 3 direct damage is cool enough. Today we got a 2 mana 3/3 flyer, crew 1 that loots. Seems cool to me and a good "equipment".

Also, if the vehicle gets blocked and dies, the creatures crewing it don't die (right?) so you can "equip" that Bob or Pyromancer and attack without worrying.

• If we're considering these things as equipment (and we basically are) the proper comparison is going to be Jitte and SoFI

• @ajfirecracker yep. Those are though to best. That's why I think only Skysovereign has a chance because it dodges Moat. This new 3/3 flyer is cool too but maybe not powerful enough.

Oh another important thing is that vehicles are great with Karn, Silver Golem.

• TMD Supporter

I submitted this Tuesday night. I'm going to have to do a second part next week. I didn't expect that much from the set at first to be honest.
    Also keep in mind that there are people who read these but don't read TMD. I do often link here to try to expand people's horizons a bit, but mostly I deal with a lot of fans that haven't actually tried vintage yet.
    Some of my articles have been read by 30,000 people, and that's more than the entire player pool.

• TMD Supporter

Whenever I write these things (or any article really) I feel like I have to be very careful. I don't want to sound like a negative prick all the time, but each and every card I've ever discussed has a potential to be good, terrible, or somewhere in between.

There's the same issue with writing about decks. I don't like to be too negative, but if I'm too positive about a fringe or lower-tier deck someone might end up having a bad time when they're creamed at a tournament playing it. It's a tough line to walk.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.