[KLD] Craftmaster Paradigm

• alt text

A sight upgrade to Ardent Recruit with a less upgraded creature type. Ardent never saw play in vintage, but I think the addition of first strike makes this more in line with delver than not. I am curious if something like this, combined with the push towards the combat zone as well as the critical mass of 1 drop 3 power guys white can have in this strategy is something that could make waves? It is not hard in white Affinity to drop 1-2 3 power guys, some jewelry, and a sphere turn 1. That is a really high pressure start against most lists.

• As stated in the Facebook post earlier today by Michael Scheffenacker, pairs well with Stoneforge Mystic which is also an Artificer. First Strike is not evasion, per say, it's a safe analog to Delver for non-Blue White creature decks.

• This may actually be a situation where not being human makes this a dud for vintage. Plus the effects are only during YOUR combat phase, meaning it cant even "pump" to trade with...well anything.

• A White X/1 that doesn't disrupt is a tough sell given Dread of Night and Sulfur Elemental (plus Massacre).

• Administrators

@p3temangus said:

This may actually be a situation where not being human makes this a dud for vintage. Plus the effects are only during YOUR combat phase, meaning it cant even "pump" to trade with...well anything.

No doubt the card would be better as a human ... but I can't help but be amused how readily this could slot into the White/X Eldrazi list I've been playing ... the one that already names Artificer on Cavern of Souls because of Stoneforge Mystic!

• @Brass-Man I haven't seen your list, but is this a preferable 1 drop to (Devils advocate here..) mother of runes?

• Administrators

@p3temangus without any test data to back it up, my guess is that Mother of Runes is better against a removal-packing blue deck like Grixis Pyromancer, and Craftmaster Paradigm is better against Shops and Eldrazi decks.

I'd rather have the Paradigm against blue decks than the MoR against Eldrazi/Shops though, so maybe it's the more flexible game 1 choice. Of course your metagame mileage may vary. I doubt either card is first-string.

• I mean... it's better than alt text

But +1 power better, most of the time. Is that something to get excited about...?

• @MaximumCDawg At least that doesn't die to Sulfur Elemental or Dread of Night.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.