[KLD] Authority of the Consulate

• alt text

Kinda reminds me of rootmaze. Outside of being a pretty great hoser for combo elves, which is fringe when it is playable, I'm not sure how much game this has. OK against reality smasher I guess? Combos with Forbidden orchard? Being one mana piques my interest but I dont think its high impact enough, but it is unique enough to keep an eye on.

• do you think that this enchantment is vintage-playable?

• Well, it's nice to have options. This is a riff on an affect which is occasionally playable. I don't like how it dies to Mental Misstep, since this kind of card seems like it's designed to come down in the midgame and give you an extra turn to bash in before defenders can muck up the combat math. By then, 1W or 2W should be do-able.

alt text
    Saw no play.

alt text
    Sees lots of play.

So... I'm in the "Meh." camp on this one.

• @Saya said:

do you think that this enchantment is vintage-playable?

I think it could be, else I would not post about it. There are effects like this that see play (thalia) and other 1 mana enchantments that have similar applications (Root Maze.) I feel as if it would be sideboard if anything, but this thing is pretty damn good against Dredge now that I look at it. Decks that do not want to run Thalia but need an answer against dredge and/or elves could run this and get pretty good results I would think.

• If Illness in the Ranks is trash, why would this be any better?

• Because it is a different color and does totally different things?

You can still Flame Kin zealot with an Illness in the ranks out, you cannot do that with this.
    Illness does mostly nothing to Elves.
    Illness does not stop haste creatures, which is relevant potentially with that new shops slash panther vehicle thing.

They are 2 totally separate cards, comparing the 2 is silly.

• Looks like another pseudo time buyer vs Dredge, obviously turns off ichorid forever and makes it more challenging to guarantee the FKZ kill that turn. Has 0 impact on Elesh Norn as a dread return target however...

Stopping reality smasher for 1 turn may be situationally relevant, but I would give this 2 thumbs down.

• All tokens made by young peezy give you life. Mentor too but they pump so meh. I like this card for Royal Assasin shananagins tho.

• @Protoaddct said:

Because it is a different color and does totally different things?

You can still Flame Kin zealot with an Illness in the ranks out, you cannot do that with this.
    Illness does mostly nothing to Elves.
    Illness does not stop haste creatures, which is relevant potentially with that new shops slash panther vehicle thing.

They are 2 totally separate cards, comparing the 2 is silly.

I'd argue that they really are not all that different.

Neither let's you interact with someone on a profitable level.

If you make the assumption that it does and you want to move this card into your 75, what would possess you to do so when outright racing would be immensely more profitable against archetypes like Eldrazi?

This card isn't good and this shouldn't be a discussion.

• The Kismet ability is very weak, since it affects neither artifacts nor lands -- I'm more interested in the life-gain trigger. Is there any infinite-life combo enabled by this card? Varchild's War-Riders will quickly accumulate you a large amount of life, if you have some way to stop the tokens from attacking (Moat, Illness in the Ranks, etc).

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.