[KLD] Metalwork Colossus

• card image

So, does Shops want a creature that gets cheaper if you have a Sphere out?

• Wow, 8 spheres, 4 tangle wires, Trinisphere, Crucibles, not to mention the new Vehicle artifacts that are not creatures until you rev them up...INSANE synergy with Hangerback walker to return this from the grave. No evasion but if this had Trample the Anti-Shops crowd would already be picketing wizards. A 10/10 you can easily cast on turn 4... What is not to like?

• My big concern with this guy is that it might be a bit of a win-more. If you have a board full of non-creature artifacts, you are probably already winning that game. This does close the door fairly quickly, which is nice, but it doesn't help you get to that point. You probably want one of these in your Shops list at most.

• amazing.
    -Ghirapur Orrery
    -metalwork colossus

Will both go straight into MUD.

I could defenetly see something like this:
    (64 cards i know, feel free to shave something like colossus, crucible, smokestack)

4 Metalwork Colossus
    1 Lodestone Golem
    4 Batterskull
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Tangle Wire
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Ghirapur Orrery
    4 Smokestack
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Jet
    3 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Mishra’s Workshop
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Tolarian Academy
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Ghost Quarter

• At first I thought it was outstanding, and was ready to spoil it here... then I thought: what does this add to MUD? Muscle? Cheap muscle, it is. This seems really solid after vomiting spheres for 2-3 turns, closing the game quickly. If juggernaut was still a thing, this would replace it for sure. However, can it replace ravager or hangarback? Could be.

One bad thing is that this card makes mud hate better (grudging ravager or hangarback is seldom the solution, with MC is perfectly fine), specially fayden.

What is wonderful is how this set interacts with vintage. I must say that it's one of the most vintage oriented set in the history of magic, despite not having the raw power as Urza's block.

• All your mana rocks tap for an extra mana for this guy. So 5ish mana rocks gets you this guy out. Maybe an alternate kill method for belcher or Turbotezz/Big Blue? I mean it doesnt HAVE to be in MUD only.

• @Serracollector what do you mean by mana rocks exactly?

• 5 mox, sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, grim monolith, and if u choose to use them Mox Opal and Chrome Mox. This guy essentially has affinity for Mana Rocks. Hes just a really big Myr Enforcer that doesn't get cheaper off dudes.

• @Serracollector

CMC zero on moxen makes this a bit of a non-bo. I don't know that I see it working outside of older style prison shops.

• Maybe we can see some good old 7/11 split action

TFK, welder, sundering titan, gilded lotus, colossus (!).

Not sure how good it will be, but im building it for sure.

• @revengeanceful said:

My big concern with this guy is that it might be a bit of a win-more. If you have a board full of non-creature artifacts, you are probably already winning that game. This does close the door fairly quickly, which is nice, but it doesn't help you get to that point. You probably want one of these in your Shops list at most.

If you have a board of non-creature artifacts you still need a win condition. This is that win con, easily.

• 1 sphere, it costs 10.
    2 spheres, it costs 9.
    2 spheres, 1 thorn, it costs 7.
    2 spheres, 2 thorns, it costs 5.

At what point does this become good? If I wanted 10-ish power on the board for 5 mana, I'd play Precursor Golem first.

• @BillCopes said:

At what point does this become good?

Obviously you need to keep going through those iterations. But you made a good point.

• @BillCopes said:

1 sphere, it costs 10.
    2 spheres, it costs 9.
    2 spheres, 1 thorn, it costs 7.
    2 spheres, 2 thorns, it costs 5.

At what point does this become good? If I wanted 10-ish power on the board for 5 mana, I'd play Precursor Golem first.

This could be out on turn 2 and its not even unreasonable to do so - turn 1 lodestone makes this cost 7. 2 shops and any other accelerant or a shops and a mana vault.

Even a slightly crazier hand like shops, lotus, lodestone, sphere with an ancient tomb. There are multiple paths to get this down on turn 2 and many of them are hands that are not so uncommon.

I would think shops can pump this out by turn 2 more often than DPS can go off turn 1. And I would think turn 3 would be common enough that shops pilots shoot for it.

Will just strike this whole post. Leaving it here rather than deleting so Billcopes post below still makes sense.

• @Khahan Lodestone makes this cost 11 . . .

• Noncreature artifacts... Not good in a creature heavy build. Probably not good enough to resurrect non-creature shops alone, but there are a couple other cards in this set.

• Assuming this is about as castable/board presence-ey as Precursor Golem, I think the comparison that has to be made is how good it is to be split across 3 bodies (except vs instants and sorceries) compared to having recursion. I think the recursion is almost certainly stronger.

• Kaladesh is totally Urzas Sags 2.0, and I love it. However, I'm with the skeptics on this card. It's a fattie that can only be cast if you are already winning. We don't play Mycosynth Golem.

The recursion element is nice and all,but again, is the issue facing shops really getting their threats nuked? Between the High and Wide Bros (ravager and walker) I don't think so.

Still, this card is not embarassing, and I look forward to seeing new spicy brewz.

• If they weren't before, if this thing gets loose, to the extent W/x Aggro was running StP, they will want to switch to PtE.

• The sacrifice outlet he provides has some utility if you need to remove a vault or crypt from play, but that seems pretty corner case to me.

Tangle wire builds are really the thing that come to mind for me. Tangle reduces this buy 3 even after its done its job, and it buys you the time you need to play this. That being said any deck playing staff of Nin and wurmcoil and the like is already playing stuff that cheats this into play. Between that and the recursion this could be a solid one of to provide inevitability in mirror matches.

• @Protoaddct

Smokestack Reduces his cost by 4. Just sayin.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.