[KLD] Snare Thopter

• I have no doubt your desire for something to match Trygon Predator is very old.

• See you at Vinatge Worlds Snare Thopter. FYI Mud players, this card wrecks BUG, you know, the only matchup that has a chance against MUD.

• @gkraigher said in [KLD] Snare Thopter:

See you at Vinatge Worlds Snare Thopter. FYI Mud players, this card wrecks BUG, you know, the only matchup that has a chance against MUD.

Hangerback Walker is a better BUG wrecker than this turd. But I love that you love this thing and want to see you Shop, Mox, Turbo Wind Drake somebody.

• @nedleeds

Hangarback is better than this card. You can always play both.

This card:

1. Haste and flying kills planeswalkers very easily. When I top 8ed Vintage Worlds, I played either 3 or 4 slash panther and they were great all day. Especially vs Oath of Druids.

2. It can trade with delver of secrets and trygon predator. Being able to block and kill Tyrgon predator is huge, and with any bonus like Chief or Steel Overseer or Arcbound Ravager, my card wins.

3. haste plays through energy flux

4. flying gets over moat

5. flying can break the mirror match open

6. losing the card to dack fayden isn't the end of the world.

7. costing 4 mana plays around abrupt decay

8. 4 mana is a sweet spot in the curve right now. Precursor at 5 is the best at its cost, but getting to 5 mana isn't even that easy unless you have a workshop.

9. it will be unexpected. This is an incredible advantage. People will take other lines that will open this card up for abuse, and it does 2 unexpected things in shops lists. It flys and it has haste.

10. it can combo with arcbound ravager for the win from an otherwise neutral boardstate.

11. It can block a Merit Lage or Griselbrand. Being able to block a Griselbrand and sacrifice to ravager is a good line.

• @gkraigher said in [KLD] Snare Thopter:

I played either 3 or 4 slash panther

I like how you didn't bother to Google yourself before trying to prove a point.

@gkraigher said in [KLD] Snare Thopter:

1. it will be unexpected.

Only to players that don't do their homework: http://eemagic.com/findDeck.php?player=2103682121&event=17-09-10816411

• Administrators

@the_gremlin_lord I might be reading your tone wrong but this kind of feels like an unnecessarily harsh response :P

Saying "I played a few Slash Panther" gets the point across just fine, 2 vs 3 doesn't make much difference to @gkraigher 's point, does it? ... and even though there was a recent strong finish with a Snare Thopter deck, it's still not something very common, and it's completely plausible that most players won't play around it. Personally I don't like running cards for surprise value (I think "incredible advantage" is an overstatement to be sure), but I can't say there's no advantage to it.

In general I don't love this card, but I do think it's more interesting than Slash Panther was. Evasion is pretty key on this kind of effect right now, and a fairly Null Rod-proof threat is a nice thing for a Shops deck to have right now.

• @brass-man said in [KLD] Snare Thopter:

@the_gremlin_lord I might be reading your tone wrong but this kind of feels like an unnecessarily harsh response :P

Saying "I played a few Slash Panther" gets the point across just fine, 2 vs 3 doesn't make much difference to @gkraigher 's point, does it? ... and even though there was a recent strong finish with a Snare Thopter deck, it's still not something very common, and it's completely plausible that most players won't play around it. Personally I don't like running cards for surprise value (I think "incredible advantage" is an overstatement to be sure), but I can't say there's no advantage to it.

In general I don't love this card, but I do think it's more interesting than Slash Panther was. Evasion is pretty key on this kind of effect right now, and a fairly Null Rod-proof threat is a nice thing for a Shops deck to have right now.

My seemingly harsh tone is a result of Greg's seemingly pompous tone where he validates his opinion with that one time he did well at Worlds. I didn't include the number in hopes that he'd then Google himself and review his 2012 list before next weekend. Maybe he can remember how he felt that day and channel the energy that he used half a decade ago into a repeat performance. I may be a troll, but I'm a troll that sometimes forces a little introspection in those I respond to.

I included the "do your homework" line for the same reason. If he's so sold at Snare Thopter than it might benefit him to check out results that the card has put up recently. He showed no indication that he was aware of these results, just like he showed no indication he knew the contents of his 2012 deck. Again, beneficial to him, even if the tone doesn't come across that way.

• @brass-man This coupled with Precursor Golem and the Foundry couple could make for a cool Null Rod-proof Workshop decks. Add 4 Null Rod and maybe Spyglass and/or Tangle Wires...

EDIT: oh, the deck that @The_Gremlin_Lord posted that I was aiming at. Cool. I'd say a couple Spyglasses and that's a great call.

EDIT 2: it's important to note the linked list has 56 cards and missing 4 Wasteland MD. ;)

• Administrators

I guess I didn't read anything pompous in @gkraigher 's post. "I played this card and it was good" has to be a better post than "I haven't played this card but I think it's good anyway", right?

Ultimately I don't think all 10 points in that post are compelling enough for me to run the card at champs, but they aren't exactly wrong.

I get the impression with your "I'm just a troll, but..." posts that you're actively hoping to get moderated? If that's not your goal, consider that any time you find yourself typing that, chances are good there's a way to restate your point in a way that makes you look better, and leads to a more interesting/useful discussion.

• I understand you had a rough day with the SMIP thread, @brass-man. @The-Atog-Lord is on record calling me a troll account and I thought you knew that. I shortened troll account to troll for the sake of my prior post. Consider me the Chaotic Good of D&D alignment, like Chandra!

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.