[KLD] Deadlock Trap

• alt text

I feel like this is a Doctor Who reference right?

Anyway, I only post this because it does something novel and new we have not seen yet, as it can disable a Walker at instant speed and can be played off shops. Not only does it tap it but it also turns off activated abilities for the turn. I am not sure if the energy cost and the CIPT makes it a non starter before we get going, at least until we see all the energy cards in the next set, but the effect is interesting enough in a deck that likely has enough on board power to attack the walker the next turn. It can tap a creature as well though so it plays nice with tangle wire when walkers are not around.

• Am I the only one who did not know Plainswalkers could be tapped? I thought they were like enchantments in that they could not be tapped to tangle wire type effects. face palm

• What does tapping a planeswalker do? Turn off it's abilities?

• Planeswalkers are permanents, therefore it is possible to tap them. Tapping one doesn't inherently do anything, but it will prevent planeswalkers who turn into creatures from attacking.

• @p3temangus To be fair, the only reason enchantments can't be tapped to Tangle Wire is because the card explicitly says what can be tapped. General tap target permanent stuff will work, it's just useless. I think that even if planeswalkers in their current form had existed when Wire got printed, they would not be included in the list of stuff you can tap to Wire because Wire is all about resource denial and tapping the walker short circuits that.

@5space Currently tapping a planeswalker does nothing other than turning the card sideways. It would take an explicit rules clause like what they used to have back in the day for continuous artifacts to add in some sort of negative consequence to having the walker tapped.

• Does stopping a Walker make Tumble Magnet playable?

Eeeh.....

@5space said:

What does tapping a planeswalker do? Turn off it's abilities?

alt text

• This card has more potentially going for it than Tumble Magnet

• It turns off activated abilities, which include creatures. Tanglewire does not, so this can include things like oath targets
    • The energy Mechanic is not fully realized yet, so the energy generation could wind up being much better in the next set than it is now.
    • Play Bounce Play (probabaly not going to happen in most decks) Generates energy for it that can be stored for future cards/turns. Tumble magnet only has 3 counter at a time, so you have to use it over turns before you can bounce and play again, where as this can be returned and generate energy. Likewise other things can generate energy for it to be used.

I think it is probably a corner case of a card, but it does turn off Griselbrand and Salvagers

• @p3temangus

All permanents can be tapped.

Tangle wire specifies which permanents can be tapped to satisfy its triggered ability.

• @Protoaddct

It does not turn off griselbrand. Once the ability has been activated, and is on the stack, this doesn't counter it.

• It doesn't matter anyway, this card wouldn't be playable if it cost 0 and came into play untapped.

• @gkraigher said:

@Protoaddct

It does not turn off griselbrand. Once the ability has been activated, and is on the stack, this doesn't counter it.

It turns it off in regards to tapping it down and then preventing further activations. I grant you it is not super powerful but it is a thing.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.