How to sell high value / small market cards?

• Preface: Not looking to sell on this forum!

What are the best options for moving high value / small market cards? EG, not-mint power, signed cards, foreign, foils, combinations of those, and other things like that, especially stuff only playable in EDH or Vintage?

The options I've considered thus far, in order of how much it seems I'm able to make:

• Sell person to person - Can't be done at most events, requires making a connection or having someone make a connection for you. Easier online but still not super easy.
    • Sell on eBay - Lots of fees, eBay favors the buyer so you could end up cashless and cardless pretty easily
    • Sell on TCGPlayer - Same issues as above but worse
    • Buylist in real life - Can shop buyers but for substantially less cash
    • Buylist online - Can shop tons of buyers but may wait a long time to get paid. Potential to get screwed if someone disagrees on card condition.

• High end facebook group (provided the individual card value is $50 or greater).

• @thecravenone said:

Preface: Not looking to sell on this forum!

What are the best options for moving high value / small market cards? EG, not-mint power, signed cards, foreign, foils, combinations of those, and other things like that, especially stuff only playable in EDH or Vintage?

The options I've considered thus far, in order of how much it seems I'm able to make:

• Sell person to person - Can't be done at most events, requires making a connection or having someone make a connection for you. Easier online but still not super easy.
    • Sell on eBay - Lots of fees, eBay favors the buyer so you could end up cashless and cardless pretty easily
    • Sell on TCGPlayer - Same issues as above but worse
    • Buylist in real life - Can shop buyers but for substantially less cash
    • Buylist online - Can shop tons of buyers but may wait a long time to get paid. Potential to get screwed if someone disagrees on card condition.

I wouldn't consider not-mint power to be a small market. Having just sold 2x UL Moxes and a UL Lotus that were way less than mint, I can tell you that as long as your pricing is appropriate, you can and will sell them. It took me literally an hour to close two moxes once the FB post was approved, and 30 minutes on the lotus. There are people out there that want these.

Ebay fees really aren't that bad, and the nice thing about ebay is that you can just set it and forget it. You can try to net more via a Facebook sale, but people generally expect some kind of discount since the expectation is that the ebay price is marked up to cover the fees. So you aren't gonna be able to take a $700 ebay price and just sell it for $700 on FB and pocket the difference, folks are basically going to knock you down close to $630 so you wind up netting almost the same.

The other MASSIVE advantage eBay has over FB is that eBay is approximatel 1,000,000 times easier to search. Even within a niche FB group it can be a pain in the ass to find particular things.

The big FB advantage is that it's easier to check personal references, and that people will gift payments if your rep justifies it, so it's a lot harder to get screwed.

I would list your stuff in niche FB groups (the foreign group, a group for signed stuff etc) but also put it on ebay where it is easier to find. Another thing worth considering is that if you are planning on plowing the proceeds of the sales back into cards, that you hit up a large event and buylist it there. You can get 20-25% bonuses on trade, which can often put you close to netting the same amount had you sold them yourself, but without the hassle and risk of actually handling all the sales.

• Because some other options have come up, I figured I'd post them for anyone wondering the same thing in the future:

• Trade into cards that have a lower "spread" - the difference between their sell price and buylist price. Usually this means trading bigger pieces into multi-format staples like Duals, Fetches, Tarmogoyfs, etc, which can be buylisted to a store that can move them quickly.
    • Multi-party trades: A lot of people in the market for high dollar cards have other high dollar cards that they'd rather trade than use cash. If you can find someone who wants those cards, you can cash in pretty easily. I'm currently working out a trade where I send cards to party A who sends cards to party B who sends cash to me.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.