Vintage History- Investigative Report from 1994 Vintage Championships (the true decklists)

• TMD Supporter

The Vintage Championship- 1994 (WITH ACTUAL DECKSLISTS): FINALIZED and UPDATED

(the original thread: http://www.archive.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=47827.0)

So I started this project on the old drain about a year ago. I've always had a passion for this event, and probably re-read Zak Dolan's diary in the Duelist 100 times. My friends and I even replayed the Zak vs Bertrand matches for fun (Pro Tip: take Bertrand's deck). However, I always wondered about the other two decks that day. They were published in the corners of the internet, but didn't seem to match the stories and other evidence of the day. After a year of back and forth, inspecting photos, and talking to other people, I finally think I have gotten close to the actual deckslists from that event (and I am putting it aside if someone else wants to take it up). Most of the decklists on the internet seem to be incorrect (even the one for Bertrand on Wizard’s website), so after some research here is how it actually went down.

WE’VE MADE CONTACT WITH ALL FOUR PLAYERS (though 20yr old memories are hazy).

The early roadblocks to the project:

Zak and Bertrand remember Dominic playing Juzam Djinn, and Bertrand remembers Cyrille playing a zoo style deck.
    Zak claims Dominic also played Dark Ritual with Gloom, Tsunami, Chaos Orb, Flashfires in the sideboard. Dominic said Zak was confusing his deck with the other Frenchman from the quarterfinals (who did play Juzam, Dark Ritual).
    Cyrille is reported to have lost his third game to Bertand because he drew Diamond Valley as his only land.
    Cyrille is also reported to have played a deck very similar to Bertrand's (Shivans for Serendibs, and with Strip Mines)

Notes:
    Bertrand played 61 cards (Sylvan Library and Chaos Orb), in the event that he had to rip up a Chaos Orb (rumored to be possible) and could still finish with 60 cards.

Cyrille played ~62 cards, and 1 Diamond Valley. The reason for the Diamond Valley, was on that day, the Head Judge ruled you couldn’t go below zero life. So with a Diamond Valley in play, your opponent could attack with everything, you could take it, then sacrifice a Llanowar to Diamond Valley and then still be alive (at 1 life) and counter-attack for the win. Super crucial to a lot of his matches Cyrille claimed, but he ultimately lost in the semis when he drew it as his only land (and back then you couldn’t mulligan unless you had a “no-land” hand).

The decks below also conform to the photos from that day (http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/226captions). The only mystery is Zak’s claim that Dominic was playing Juzam (from the Zak Dolan diary), but Dominic says he is confusing Dominic with his quarter-finals opponent.

ALL FOUR DECKS (for the first time in internet accurate history!)

Zak Dolan: FIRST PLACE

1 Clone
    2 Old Man of the Sea
    1 Time Elemental
    1 Vesuvan Doppleganger
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Ley Druid
    4 Serra Angel
    1 Recall
    1 Timetwister
    1 Time Walk
    1 Regrowth
    1 Armageddon
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Mana Drain
    1 Siren’s Call
    2 Disenchant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Black Vise
    1 Howling Mine
    1 Icy Manipulator
    1 Ivory Tower
    1 Mana Vault
    2 Meekstone
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Control Magic
    2 Stasis
    1 Kismet
    1 Library of Alexandria
    4 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Tundra
    2 Strip Mine

Sideboard:
    1 Kismet
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Diamond Valley
    1 Floral Spuzzem
    1 Magical Hack
    1 Presence of the Master
    1 Sleight of Mind
    1 Chaos Orb
    1 Copy Artifact
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    2 Karma
    1 Power Sink
    1 Reverse Damage
    1 Winter Blast
    [ no notes, Zak explains this deck pretty thoroughly in his diary for the Duelist]

Bertrand Lestree- 2ND PLACE

3 Argothian Pixies
    4 Kird Ape
    3 Birds of Paradise
    2 Whirling Dervish
    4 Fireball
    4 Chain Lightning
    1 Channel
    1 Time Walk
    1 Regrowth
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Mind Twist
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Psionic Blast
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chaos Orb
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Icy Manipulator
    1 Control Magic
    1 Sylvan Library (not in online decklists- but in the report)
    2 City of Brass
    4 Taiga
    2 Bayou
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Mishra’s Factory
    4 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
    1 Control Magic
    3 Disintegrate
    1 Forcefield
    4 Serendib Efreet
    1 City in a Bottle
    1 Flashfires
    2 Lifeforce
    2 Tsunami
    [Bertrand regrets not playing Strip Mine]

Cyrille de Foucaud 3RD/4TH (CONFIRMED BY CYRILLE)

1 Berserk
    4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Channel
    1 Erhnam Djinn
    3 Giant Growth
    1 Regrowth
    2 Disintegrate
    3 Fireball
    1 Granite Gargoyle
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Shivan Dragon
    1 Uthden Troll
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Power Sink
    1 Time Walk
    1 Timetwister
    3 Serendib Efreet
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chaos Orb
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Bayou
    2 City of Brass
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Diamond Valley
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Strip Mine
    4 Taiga
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
    2 Crumble
    1 Tranquility
    2 Tsunami
    2 Whirling Dervish
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Mind Twist
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Bartel Runeaxe
    [He is confident he could have won if he had cut down to 60 cards, and bemoans some of his creature choices. He said he was young and played "cards he liked."]

Dominic Symens (3RD/4TH) (CONFIRMED BY DOMINIC)

3 Badlands
    3 Bayou
    2 City of Brass
    4 Taiga
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Aladdin
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Llanowar Elves
    1 Ancestral Recall
    4 Chain Lightning
    1 Channel
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Fireball
    1 Fork
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Mind Twist
    1 Regrowth
    1 Time Walk
    2 Animate Dead
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chaos Orb
    3 Juggernaut
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring

Sideboard:
    3 Jade Statue
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Mox Pearl
    2 Psionic Blast
    4 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Spinal Villian
    2 Tranquility

[ The Jade Statues were to exchange them for the Juggrnauts if he saw bolts or Wrath of God.]

**Thanks to all who helped in the old thread ( @sodoyouwearacape, @JACO and Carl Devos, and of course Zak, Bertrand, Cyrille, and Dominic!

And while there are still some differences, the originator of this project can be found here (Carl):
    http://zongo.be/magic/deck/world.php

As this posting is still not 100% accurate, it’s as close as I will be able to take it. If someone else wants to take over the reigns, I’m fine!!**

My only regret is that the Juzam deck didn't make it to the Semi-Finals. Would have liked to have run the four deck gauntlet with a little more variety.

• @joshuabrooks awesome post - thank you for putting this all together and to the others that helped in the older thread.

• Can you explain what you mean about potentially having to rip up a Chaos Orb?

• Funny how Chaos Orb didn't appear in all four decks when it was arguably the most powerful card back then (other than Ancestral, which one of these decks neglected as well). That stated, there was nothing more dominant back then than good old fashioned land destruction, especially with 4x Strip Mine, 4x Chaos Orb, 4x Juzam, 4x Sink Hole, etc. Surprising that these decks must have never faced that particular challenge, but then we were all in high school back then and real competition was rather fragmented (vs. the Internet Age), especially in international terms. Great posting, though. Early 1994 was awesome for MTG. :)

• @Minkar I believe it was either a true story or rumor but one guy decided to rip up his chaos orb so it would be touching even more cards prompting a judge call. No idea where I read that on reddit or if I heard it on a stream but yea. pretty sure Bertrand was considering the possibility of it coming to that but wanting to be able to still finish with a legal 60 cards deck since you can't tape a magic card back together and try to shuffle it in

• I'm pretty sure you are missing Ancestral Recall from Bertrand's list. Source: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/zak-dolans-worlds-diary-2004-08-26

Also I'm not very clear where this guy get this from but he reckons Bertrand replaced Chaos Orb for Sylvan Library in the finale against Zak. Source: http://fabiensanglard.net/mtg_93-94_Toronto/event1.php

Your source (Bertrand?) seems to recall that Bertrand opted for a 61-card deck in case he ripped up the Orb. That seems fair enough strategy and very flavourful. But again, as it was the very last match of the tournament against a turtle control deck, maybe Bertrand decided to trim down to 60-cards deck (not sure if the rules allowed this back then but I wouldn't be surprised if it allowed you to make adjustments out as long as you maintained 60 mini + your original sideboard. No new card back in obviously)

I remember fondly looking at Bertrand's decklist in a French magazine called Casus Belli in 95-96ish (I remember it was in a column on the right page). I really wish I could put my hand on it again. I was in my bed trying hard to figure out what the hell Channel was doing. Then I understood the combo! I fear there wasn't any of the other decklists published in that magazine.

• Awesome work Joshua and congrats on tracking everyone down! Had a couple of chats with Bertrand about the old days and its always funny to hear what he has to say. Zak a bit of a different kettle of fish but there you go. Pains me that Bertrand did t run Strip Mine. I think if he'd have won, his deck would be remembered more for being pretty cutting edge in terms of deck building. (unlike Zak's very excellent tricky pile).

Still, great work and thanks for sharing for this! :)

• I hear you Titus but, in my opinion, it is very important that Zak's deck won. I reckon it may even have helped MtG to be where it is today. It showed that the game had real depth, that it was intricate, with crazy interactions, combos, interesting lines of play & solutions. Zak's deck is hard to grasp, I can imagine all the noobs trying to figure out how the pile worked back then & failing miserably to win with it. All in all, I believe that Zak winning helped nursing the mystery around MtG and its infinite possibilities.

If only the Zoo & Aggro decks had top4, I don't think the game would still be there today. Players may have been comforted that these "low variance & direct deck" were the absolute best decks and Control/Combo may have died silently killing MtG in the mid-term. Though, from a deck building point of view, I agree Bertrand's deck is near absolute perfection (Strip Mine...).

• TMD Supporter

@countbeckula I just got a message from Cyrille that the deckslist was wrong, I've updated it (with Chaos Orb). So either this is revisionist history or he found some more information on his decklist. There was a lot of back and forth and difficult to get exact deckslist. Either way, this is what he says he played :) Check out the sideboard and main deck changes.

@tribet Got the ancestral, I think it was a typo. Not sure about his report either chaos orb/Sylvan, as I haven't found it anywhere on the net. I know Zak was petrified of Bertrand's skill with Chaos Orb. I know that Zak and possibly Dominic? agreed not to use Chaos Orb, but I haven't read anything about that anywhere else.

• TMD Supporter

@tribet said:

I'm pretty sure you are missing Ancestral Recall from Bertrand's list. Source: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/zak-dolans-worlds-diary-2004-08-26

Also I'm not very clear where this guy get this from but he reckons Bertrand replaced Chaos Orb for Sylvan Library in the finale against Zak. Source: http://fabiensanglard.net/mtg_93-94_Toronto/event1.php

In the Zak Dolan Duelist article, I think the recordkeeper (Mark Rosewater, right?) mentions that Bertrand has a Chaos Orb as one of his choices during a Demonic Tutor. And the records also show Bertrand getting a Sylvan Library into play at least once I think.

• Wow thanks so much for compiling this info. I'm currently building the top 2 decks from '94 with my oldschool pool, and now I can even go for the whole top 4 - cool stuff :)

• That's the most amazing thing ever. Thanks a lot for this man, I've been wondering for ages what this decklists were, and I remember your post on the old TMD. Really glad you were able to do it!

• No Drains or Counterspells is interesting.

• TMD Supporter

@Serracollector said:

No Drains or Counterspells is interesting.

Dolan ran one mana drain, but i think it was more for mana acceleration than for countering ability. Mono-blue decks back then just got crushed by aggro.

I think that is one of the main reasons (other than drawing Ivory Tower and LoA) that Dolan won. When you replay these matchups, once the Bertrand player figures out the Dolan deck is light on counterspells, it becomes a totally different match. But when you assume he has drains and counters, it makes the channel/fireball play a ton more risky.

• TMD Supporter

@tribet said:

I hear you Titus but, in my opinion, it is very important that Zak's deck won. I reckon it may even have helped MtG to be where it is today. It showed that the game had real depth, that it was intricate, with crazy interactions, combos, interesting lines of play & solutions. Zak's deck is hard to grasp, I can imagine all the noobs trying to figure out how the pile worked back then & failing miserably to win with it. All in all, I believe that Zak winning helped nursing the mystery around MtG and its infinite possibilities.

I agree with this completely. Magic was the wild, wild west back then. With relatively no internet then, the only thing you learned about Magic was self-taught or what had beaten you the previous day. Seeing a deck like Dolan's that had intertwining parts and tons of value plays, helped change the way we thought. We knew Ancestral and LoA and Control Magic's and STP's were good, but we didn't necessarily know why. Or if we did know why, it was because of some flashy play (LoA with Ivory Tower, or Regrowing Ancestral, or Plowing a giant Shivan Dragon), not as obvious (or important) were the small edge plays like refreshing your Sylvan Library with a Demonic, or killing an attacker with a Berserk. The average player wanted to play big and win big.

Granted, I think some of Dolan's cards are a little too Johnny for me (what's the point of Siren's Call if you already have them locked down with meekstone or stasis or Old man, no need to kill the creatures too), but Dolan also wanted every card to at least work with another card (Howling Mine-Icy, Time Elemental-Stasis, etc). He wanted hard locks. Magic didn't understand tempo or the value of soft locks back then.

I'll never forget incorporating STP into my early decks and being told to "never give an opponent life." In my mind clearing the board for multiple turns of attacking was worth it, but Magic was incredible short-sighted then. Almost every deck was completely different, and the small edges weren't as considered. At least for the average player.

• Thanks for posting, great to see the semi finalist decks for the first time, surprised how many birds of paradise there were in the top 4. Based on my experience with my local playgroups I'd always thought them underplayed but guess they were popular than I thought - a good hedge against land destruction.

• TMD Supporter

@Prospector

Yeah, birds were a pretty big deal back then. I remember quite a few tournaments offering them as one of the main prizes. I think with most of these decks, it also helped with mana fixing a little, but also helped facilitate the channel-fireball ALOT. Fun decks to play. It's great to have an aggro deck with a combo finish, and even better yet to not have to worry about Force of Will!

• @joshuabrooks amazing work. Thank you for this, what a time travel :)
    Maybe you should change title to "Investigative Report from 1994 World Championships" .

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.