Revisiting cards as vintage evolves

• @darkquarterer By no means am I an expert on this sort of deck, but this is what I threw together and changed a bit as I tested: https://deckstats.net/deck-11310879-b7e5aead575a8471d13012d0cbdf6af6.html

I haven't really played with Managorger Hydra, and I wanted kind of a big threat. You could probably play Scavenging Ooze instead.

Edit: I realised my fetchland choices don't really make sense if I want to get my basic swamp out of the sideboard into play.

• Of course Duress is playable. What kind of nonsense is this. Lol. I have seen a split of TS and Duress. Also, Mind twist is only as good as Drain is good in a metagame. Currently I have seen some of the highest costing cards in some time being played that are juicy targets for Drain: Gush, Treasure cruise, Dig through time, Dark petition, to name a few. Hence, making Twist good. Or am I wrong?

• TMD Supporter

Cabal Therapy has been dominating Vintage for the last 6 months...

It's ranked 17th on the list of commonly played spells in vintage, and ranked 21st overall. Appearing in 25.4% of decks.

Duress is ranked 34th amongst spells, appearing in 14.3% of decks.

Also amongst spells, by comparison, Mana Drain is ranked 35th and Leyline of the Void is ranked 38th.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/vintage/full/spells

• TMD Supporter

@Ten-Ten Since What makes Mind Twist great against Mana Drain specifically?

• @mdkubiak said:

@Ten-Ten Since What makes Mind Twist great against Mana Drain specifically?

He meant mana drain having lots of good targets makes playing mind twist alongside it better, because you can cast it for large numbers more easily.

• I feel the exact way about Hymn that I do about Power Sink. Used to both be ubiquitous in Vintage and somehow vanished. Personally, I still play both cards frequently, but then I'm hardly a ranked bad-ass these days. It's more for nostalgia, and honestly Hymn is probably underrated in the Vintage metagame. It still holds up in my personal play-testing anyway,,,

• TMD Supporter

@countbeckula said:

I feel the exact way about Hymn that I do about Power Sink. Used to both be ubiquitous in Vintage and somehow vanished. Personally, I still play both cards frequently, but then I'm hardly a ranked bad-ass these days. It's more for nostalgia, and honestly Hymn is probably underrated in the Vintage metagame. It still holds up in my personal play-testing anyway

Hymn is bad because you kind of need to be dealing with the board on turn 2, not random cards in your opponents hand. You're not nabbing any "Juzam Djinns" because they're already in play and attacking your life total.

• It's not discard, but I've been back to toying around with stifle (or trick bind to play around misstep) in my blue lists. It's rarely dead in my hand t1 and almost always has a target mid game.

• @desolutionist
    I completely agree with you and just wanted to reiterate that I no longer play MTG "competitively." It's just a nostalgia thing along with a pondering of why some of these former Vintage staples have become obsolete. Cheers.

• Liliana is card disadvantage if you play and immediately +1 her; also her upside is irrelevant to the format. Even against non-Mentor decks, paying 1BB for an Edict is crazy.

Hymn is bad because it's a terrible topdeck, and a lot of Vintage grindy matchups are topdeck based (also BB is a terrible cost to pay).

Thoughtseize isn't played because there are fewer and fewer reasons to actually disrupt an opponents hand. It's bad topdeck just like Hymn. Also, it's normally used to answer something your deck can't otherwise (like mono-black trying to deal with Oath). These days threats are homogenic so you don't need that kind of answer. Also, Vintage decks have become more redundant so there's a good chance you'll Thoughtseize something just for it to be drawn again. Combo shifted from it to Defense Grid which is much better against a hand with multiple counters.

There's also a Tempo issue with discard, since you are investing mana to deal with cards that your opponent haven't invested any mana into - making counterspells better in most cases.

• This has been mentioned else where, but whats the verdict on Crop Rotation in Dredge?

I really like the card against "decks not utilizing counter magic" (which i see more and more of these days). When Crop Rotation came of the restricted list, Eldrazi and Hate Bear decks didn't exist and Workshops had Chalice. I also assume more Bazzars would be better in the mirror, -Maybe also against PO?

To be clear I would use this in addition to Serum Powder.

• @John-Cox I think crop rotation could be good when it sees play. Some lists might struggle to find space for it. The only other problem I have with Rotation is that it could spend some games as a dead card. For instance if I draw it in a hand with a Bazaar and no green source I definitely keep the hand and I proceed as dredge does and rotation could just turn into a pitch card or something that I can just never play.
    However, running something like riftstone portal could make this instantly better. Making every land a green source could prove really useful if you drew into a barbarian ring or salvage or other non green producer. I think it definitely has potential in a dredge list just have to be careful about how many get put in, in my opinion.

• @John-Cox if you keep a hand with dredge because you assume crop rotation will get you bazaar you could get severely blown out by mental misstep. But even before misstep, the last time crop rotation saw competitive play was in 5c shops. Shops are more of a tempo deck now than a prison deck like they were back then, they seldom play any colors and have access to expedition map if they really wanted that kind of effect.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.