New to Vintage

• Hello everyone, I am a Legacy player and really looking to get into Vintage. I just got back from EE5 and was so happy to watch all the vintage and I wanna play.

As a new vintage player, what decks would you reccomend to get stated with? I play infect in legacy, and prefer the Aggro/Sly deck, any recommendations? Should I just try to make a Vintage infect list?

Thanks in advance!
    -Bobo

• Welcome to Vintage and The Mana Drain!

Because of the speed of the format, there are very few pure Aggro/Sly decks - you generally need some way to interact with the opponent. Colorless Eldrazi (aka. Jacodrazi), Ravager Shops, and Humans/White Eldrazi have aggro elements and use Hatebears, Thorn of Amethyst, or Null Rod, to buy enough time to close out games. Infect itself is a rogue strategy and here are some lists you could start with: TCDecks. Issues in my experience with infect are that creatures and creature removal are increasingly prevalent, Mental Misstep is legal and a powerful foil to Beserk, and that Brainstorm is restricted, reducing the deck's consistency. The largest Vintage events of the year are in the next two weeks so I would keep an eye on Twitch and see if anything catches your eye.

• ok thanks! im looking at decks, and i think shops is my style. im gonna build it on MTGO to get some reps in. thanks! I would probably only be able to play in paper vintage events that allow 15 playtest cards like Eternal Extravaganza.

• While it seems like you want to come up to speed as fast as possible with the latest tech and lists, if you instead want to be a bit more organic about it, especially in deckbuilding terms, I can recommend my own reference work a little (it's about a month behind the times, so no Kaladesh entries). It will serve as a handy reference and buylist if nothing else: http://www.themanadrain.com/topic/568/vintage-deckbuilders-checklist.

• TMD Supporter

This is a great starting place.

I'd take @ChubbyRain's advice for sure.

I would recommend Grixis Pyromancer as a good place to start. The deck is in my opinion very well positioned.

• @BoBoFraggles said:

Hello everyone, I am a Legacy player and really looking to get into Vintage. I just got back from EE5 and was so happy to watch all the vintage and I wanna play.

As a new vintage player, what decks would you reccomend to get stated with? I play infect in legacy, and prefer the Aggro/Sly deck, any recommendations? Should I just try to make a Vintage infect list?

Thanks in advance!
    -Bobo

Hey, yeah I think Infect is quite good. It's made a few top 8 appearances over the years. The thing about Vintage that is different from other formats is that the player base is very small so it's safe to assume that a lot of decks, like Infect, are just not being played for no specific reason.

Infect stands out from Sligh because Infect is a turn 2 deck with protection (FoW, Misstep, etc.). Invigorate is a completely broken magic card and I was unfortunate enough to play against it while it was still legal in Pauper.

But if you're going the sligh route, which is slower than infect and without protection, your permanents need to have relevant means of interaction. Cards like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben or Phyrexian Revoker.

• TMD Supporter

I think infect is interesting because you can play MM and Force in that deck pretty easily, so it could pretty easily feel like a "delver/grow/sliver" tempo deck, except that it kills quickly enough that it seems viable. Things to think about might be shops (spheres can hurt a deck with very few lands) and whether or not you are going to run a real draw engine (gush is probably out of the question if your are running 4x inkmoth).

That being said, I think it is important to just play vintage to learn the format, so post a list, and start playing with some established players if you can and try to soak it up. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to start winning, vintage is hard and pretty different than other formats.

ENJOY and welcome!

• I cannot add much more, but I'll tell you what I tell other newcomers: it's hard to play the control role when you don't know the metagame. Once you understand which decks can you find and how to play against them, often is better to play less interactive decks. Aggro or combo decks seem the best approach, though infect has the problem that Matt pointed: there are lots of played cards that interact with it. Similar for reanimator, another decent deck from legacy, but suffers to much from graveyard and creature hate.

Combo decks (Storm, dredge, oath, turbotezz, academy) can play very aggresively and focus on your own win, not hampering the opponent. Humans, ravager MUD or Eldrazis play proactive threats and shouldn't be too much troublesome even for a new player (although it's important to understand the order of plays), but they are more interactive. So, my advise is to pick a combo deck and try to win fast games while learning about other decks.

• As a new player myself (< 1 year, MTGO only) I'd like to give some advice I wish I had when I joined the format:

Study. Review results (paper and online), read forums such as this, listen to the format specific podcasts, read the articles and join the discussions on social media. This will orient yourself with the format and you will see the trends on deck performance and will help position yourself when you do decide to join Vintage.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.