[COM2016] Selfless Squire

Selfless Squire 3W
    Creature - Human Soldier
    Flash
    When Selfless Squire enters the battlefield, prevent all damage that would be dealt to you this turn.
    Whenever damage that would be dealt to you is prevented, put that many counters on Selfless Squire.
    1/1

Any human with flash deserves my attention, even at 4cc. But I'm pretty intrigued about the "Whenever damage that would be dealt to you is prevented, put that many counters on Selfless Squire." part. Does it mean that if you attack me with a 5/3 it becomes a 6/6? If you attack with a 6/6 mentor aand 3 monks 5/5 this is a 21/21? Then well, this can be something. Not against tokens strategies, but this could be something against aggro decks.

Looking at it again it seems pretty lame for vintage, only decent against certain decks, and nothing special without evasion or something spicy to do with counters. Of course I assume there is no "fog deck" available, where this could grow to nasty proportions.

I suppose this has little possibilities in vintage, but seems an interesting card

• Time to dust off the Circle of Protections!

In all seriousness, I am very much looking forward to this in EDH, where I have been combo'd out by the Gritog Monster too many times to count lately. It is cool that this is not limited to Combat Damage, so "stealing" a tendrils for 10 (even if they do gain 20+ life) seems fun if not entirely too cute for competitive play.

• TMD Supporter

@p3temangus

@xouman said:

Selfless Squire 3W
    Creature - Human Soldier
    Flash
    When Selfless Squire enters the battlefield, prevent all damage that would be dealt to you this turn.
    Whenever damage that would be dealt to you is prevented, put that many counters on Selfless Squire.
    1/1

Any human with flash deserves my attention, even at 4cc. But I'm pretty intrigued about the "Whenever damage that would be dealt to you is prevented, put that many counters on Selfless Squire." part. Does it mean that if you attack me with a 5/3 it becomes a 6/6? If you attack with a 6/6 mentor aand 3 monks 5/5 this is a 21/21? Then well, this can be something. Not against tokens strategies, but this could be something against aggro decks.

Looking at it again it seems pretty lame for vintage, only decent against certain decks, and nothing special without evasion or something spicy to do with counters. Of course I assume there is no "fog deck" available, where this could grow to nasty proportions.

I suppose this has little possibilities in vintage, but seems an interesting card

This does nothing to a Tendrils as it is loss of life not damage.

• @Urtho Ah good call on Tendrils.

• Aren't Squires Knights?

• I thought squires were 1/2s.

• I thought Squires were Kor Artificers that make my opponent discard a Stifle.

• It would be pretty funny to play this in response to a tapped out mentor alphastrike when they thought the game was in the bag.

• @benjamin_berry For 1W, no less. Good flavor text, though. We've fallen a long way from Chaucer.

• @nedleeds said:

Aren't Squires Knights?

Squire is a Human Soldier (originally Summon Squire).

Actual squires were more like knight's assistants.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.