[CMD16] Conqueror's Flail

• alt text

Hum, a colorless, more expensive Grand Abolisher. Shops doesn't get the +1/+1 bonus, and I doubt this kind of investment is better than just playing a threat. Could this be a good new target for Stoneforge Mystic?

I'm kind of tired of "can't" cards, but well, what can I do?

• @fsecco said:

Clever...

I'm not sure what deck wants access to this effect and can't run a better card in Abolisher.

• Any deck that runs stoneforge and has multiple hybrid/gold dudes could play this well. If the thing is giving you +3 or so it's already a with the investment over abolisher and does not need the WW casting cost.

Maybe BUG with death rite?

• This card seems totally playable for hatebears. Often playing 4/5 colors, having a reasonable +3/+3 helps against lots of decks, not only counterspell decks. So, this seems a card quite decent against control and aggro decks (but bad against combo, outside preventing those EOT bouncers). I can see it being maindecked by stormanimagus or other bear lover (no pun intended)

• 4-5 color humans more so than actual hatebears I feel.

• @studderingdave Well, yes. Sorry for meddling them, but in my head humans is a fork from hatebears decks and tend to mix them. Humans will surely take more profit than other bear strategies, for sure.

• Yeah some ambitious builds with SFM might make it work. +3/+3 or +4/+4 can be a real swing when matched with Mayor or a Gideon emblem.

• @fsecco said:

Deal with it after 20 years of having shit Force of Willed for no mana?

• @fsecco
    you don't have to post all the card spoiled.

• @Saya said:

@fsecco
    you don't have to post all the card spoiled.

It's a good thing hes not and only posting things that merit discussion then.

• This definitely goes into hatebears with SFM over dedicated Humans. Humans already abused the shit out of Caverns and doesn't really need redundant "you can't counter my shit" cards. Abolisher was hugely relevant in Junk Hatebears alongside cards like Eidolon of Rhetoric because it really funneled your opponent into only casting spells at sorcery speed and only once a turn. That was a powerful thing to be able to do. Since Hatebears strategies generally don't care as much about the "Human" subtype this card makes more sense as it gives you uncounterability for more of your threats while putting one of them out of "board sweeper" range. I like this card a lot and would definitely test it in a junk denial list. My contention is that such a list isn't well positioned right now, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

-Storm

• My buddy Leovold loves his Flail.

• This puts an equipped Painter's Servant permanently out of Lightning Bolt range, and also stops StP shenanigans that turn. If you have this and Grindstone in play and seven mana open, you can play Painter, activate the equip ability, and then activate the Grindstone ability if StP is played in response. Granted, Lightning Greaves serves this same role for cheaper, but Greaves won't save your Grindstone from being Misstepped either if you want to hang on to it. Something to ponder anyways.

• TMD Supporter

@BazaarOfBaghdad

As a painter player for eternal weekend, I really wish this was released before champs. :)

• Interesting card, but isn't it just too expensive?

At 2 to cast and 2 to equip, it seems pretty slow. It stops countermagic, but you need to have spent 4 mana doing things in order to make it happen in the first place.

EDIT: It DOES slip right into my casual Selesnya Aggro deck, though, right alongside Civic Saber, Judge's Familiar, Naya Hushblade, and Bant Sureblade. Thats fun.

• I'm also testing a 4-Color Leovold Gush list with SFM. I think that could be a nice home for Flail. With Leovold + SFM play you have 4 colors covered.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.