[COM2-16] Magus of the Will

• alt text

It's a good day to print Vintage playables!

I'm very happy to see that Wizards is, again, doing exactly what we thought they would do: reprint Reserve List cards in different forms so that everyone has access to the effect.

Now, does this go in Oath? Will decks running Yawgwill want to run 5 now?

• Its a human wizard.....5 color humans has something to do after a board wipe? Is this stronger than just a snappy or gearhulk? Maybe gives esper bomberman another out? I like it, seems fair as its easily handled with bolt or plow, but gets around flusterstorm.

• @Serracollector Yeah, it's quite fair. You need to spend 2B to land him and 2B to activate, so chances are good that you're not going to go off the same turn you cast him. You also can't just do that Lotus->Tutor->Will nonsense. Still, the effect is incredibly powerful and now we get 5 of them.

Would this guy be any better than our current Oath targets? If he's the only creature in your deck, it should not be too hard to win. Oath->Magus->Tendrils kill should be a pretty easy line. Only, is that any better/more reliable than Salvagers?

• Lab Maniac is in the same boat as him in Oath since it takes another turn after he etb to actually win you the game.

• @Serracollector I mean, I could construct scenarios where he doesn't require a turn to pass, though. Like, say you went

Orchard, Mox, Lotus, Oath.
    Mill most of your library, put Magus out.
    Pop lotus, activate Magus.
    Storm out into Tendrils kill.

So that's a little better. Still not a sure thing, of course.

EDIT: Just as cheap as going Tutor -> Will, if that matters.

• His ability has a tap symbol, thus he cannot be used the turn he etb. Thats why I would compare him more to lab maniac than say Salvagers that could go off the same turn Oath plops them into play.

• @Serracollector Aaaah so he does, I missed summoning sickness. That's unfortunate. In that case, Oath doesn't seem too attractive.

I guess the next question is: would Storm play some number of these to get access to more Will effects?

• I could see him more as a sb surprise card to get around flusterstorm, much like some people use Mentor in the sb. But without haste, he seems very situational.

• @Serracollector He gets around Thorn and Thalia, too, though the cards he lets you cast do not. Better have a removal spell ready to go from the yard at Storm 1.

• Summoning sickness really kills this for me. It could be useful as Copy 2 in some lists perhaps, but I am doubtful.

• Definitely playable in Survival builds to the extent those are playable. Other EOT cheat options are Collected Company and Chord of Calling.

• Since Yawgmoth's Will is barely playable, let's put it on a body.

• This is actually a great way of also getting around bans and restrictions.
    I needed this in my EDH pile.

• @MaximumCDawg said:

@Serracollector Aaaah so he does, I missed summoning sickness. That's unfortunate. In that case, Oath doesn't seem too attractive.

I guess the next question is: would Storm play some number of these to get access to more Will effects?

Only a vintage player would so blatantly miss one of the defining characteristics of creatures ;-)

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.