[Comm 16] Boompile

• boompile

A nevs disk that COULD work the turn its played? Better chances with Voltaic Key? Does it have merit or use in any archetype?

• Are there circumstances in which we'd rather have to flip a coin than pay more mana for Oblivion Stone / Pernicious Deed or wait more time like Disk / Ratchet Bomb?

• Thats a good question. In something that runs Workshops tho, being able to drop this off a workshop and mox is not neglible. This is Vintage, so imagine any number of scenerios where the opp drops X moxen and a threat (oath, mentor, jace, lodestone etc) turn 1 and you wipe the board for huge CA. Also this hits planeswalkers unlike Disk.

• So 50% of the time it is going to be better than disk because you can activate it on the spot, 25% of the time its going to be basically the same as disk but cost one less mana, and then 25% of the time its not going to activate on schedule and ruin your day.

I gotta say, if disk is even fringe playable then this merits real though. It's really scary once it hits the table to play anything into it. Legacy Lands is going to go nuts for this to be sure.

• Administrators

This is the sort of card you seriously hope isn't good. Think Mana Crypt is frustrating? If this card is playable it's going to lead to some truly heartbreaking games for everyone involved.

• @Serracollector said:

Thats a good question. In something that runs Workshops tho, being able to drop this off a workshop and mox is not neglible. This is Vintage, so imagine any number of scenerios where the opp drops X moxen and a threat (oath, mentor, jace, lodestone etc) turn 1 and you wipe the board for huge CA. Also this hits planeswalkers unlike Disk.

What current shops deck wants to run this, though? Doesn't shops want to win by putting lock pieces on the board and keeping them there? If shops needs to blow up the board doesn't it mean they are losing? Probably facing down an army of monks? If that's the case I don't think I'd want a variable recovery option.

• @Khahan This strikes me as something that a landstill deck would be more interested in, especially one on Factory, Conclave or other man lands. Blowing this up and following it with a standstill seems like it would be a crushing play.

• @Brass-Man said:

This is the sort of card you seriously hope isn't good. Think Mana Crypt is frustrating? If this card is playable it's going to lead to some truly heartbreaking games for everyone involved.

I want to drink people's tears!

In all seriousness, I think the card is better than nevinyrrals disk, as the 50% chance of it happening turn 1 (and kills planeswalkers) outweighs the 25% chance it doesn't happen by turn 2.

That having been said, against say paradoxical outcome, your opponent now has to choose if they think it's worth casting the card to set off the chain.

This card often puts the chance outcome of a coin flip into the opponent's decision tree, which makes it much better in my opinion. It's the ultimate head game, often time putting people who don't like to gamble into a situation where they have to.

• In my earlier post I was meaning this card could be a SB card for game 2 where opponents want to drop 2-3 Moxes and a threat turn 1 before MUD can drop Spheres, then MUD drops this turn one and a flip of a coin and EASILY be a 3 for 1 or better if it takes a jace or mentor or young peezy (cards that create CA) with it.

MUD was just my first thought due to this being so easily castable off a workshop, and requires no mana afterwords. It could ofc be used in a variety of control or combo shells, such as landstill or even Storm as a way to clear the board or make way to go off.

In all honesty I am hoping this brings back a surge of Mana Drain decks, by and far an under used option in todays meta.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.