[COM2016] Ash Barrens

• alt text

So eldrazi decks looking to splash basics for colored mana (or wastes for bloodmoon) and anything using crucible just found a new best friend. This seems to me like it could be a real player, as the cycling is uncounterable outside of stifle and it feeds delve mechanics. I will certainly be picking up 4 copies of this card, I think people really should be on the look out.

• I really like the applications for this in blue moon. Turn 1 Ancient Tomb, chuck 2 of these get an Island and Mountain for turn 2 bloodmoon with basic Island backup seems good. Could make monoblue shops a little more consistent. I like it a lot.

• It seems like it is in almost all cases a strict upgrade to Evolving Wilds, since it has better interactions with sol lands / ring. It also does not take your land drop turn one, so technically you can just play an island go and have mana for a counter spell ready and then cycle this away EOT, something you could not accomplish with Evolving Wilds.

Not being a fetch also means it gets around Thalia.

It is a 1 mana colorless basic land tutor with more utility that cannot be countered, I almost have a hard time seeing how this could be anything but a staple.

• This card is top notch. Great design, solid artwork, will almost certainly see play. A+

• @p3temangus That's all totally true. I'm gobbling up $1.00 preorders on these like candy. I believe this will have a price trajectory the same as Command Tower, unless it gets reprinted in a standard set. Since that would require Cycling to return, that seems unlikely. And if it does get a reprint? Hey, Cycling is back! Win-win.

All that said, I think this has a mouse fart's chance of seeing play in Vintage. We don't play the Panoramas, we don't play Terramorphic Expanse, and I while this is arguably an upgrade to both (with the very limited possible drawback that it can't fetch colored mana on turn 1 normally) I don't see how this pushes it into Vintage play.

As always, hope I'm wrong!

• @MaximumCDawg I would need to review to see how many top eldrazi lists are on multiple basics. Considering the decks biggest flaw is it's inability to generate card advantage an uncounerable way to thin your deck and guarantee white mana seems strong. Agree on your price point comparison to command tower.

• Administrators

Having played a lot of one and two color Eldrazi decks, I'm not interested in even testing this card.

A fetchland thins your deck and guarantees white mana much more efficiently than this card does, and fetchlands aren't particularly exciting in the deck. I can't imagine a competitive vintage deck that wants this card.

• @Brass-Man said:

Having played a lot of one and two color Eldrazi decks, I'm not interested in even testing this card.

A fetchland thins your deck and guarantees white mana much more efficiently than this card does, and fetchlands aren't particularly exciting in the deck. I can't imagine a competitive vintage deck that wants this card.

I don't think you are thinking broadly enough as to what this opens up. Here are a list of things this card is:

• A colorless, uncounterable, instant speed 1 mana land fixer
    • A cantrip that shuffles your deck
    • Does not cost you a life like a fetch
    • An evolving wilds that works much better with sol ring and sol lands
    • A combo with Crucible
    • A delve feeder

Now I personally see this as being a card that will more than likely be a player more so in Legacy than Vintage for sure, because Lands is a deck over there and they get 4 brainstorms and 4 ponders. But this card absolutely has value in eldrazi, even if it is literally just to enable a singleton Basic land for sideboard options. It is something that has not been played around with much up until this point because frankly, a good option like this did not exist until now. Drazi cant play fetch and expect to get colorless from it, and evolving wilds is far worse than this in that list.

• @Protoaddct my question is what makes this better than a pain land? a pain land can produce the with or colorless and whatever other colors you play, and the deck has no manipulation that needs shuffling.

• @Protoaddct I'm not seeing much on this list that's better than what fetchlands already offer. The differences I'm seeing are that fetchlands can get dual lands and can be used even if you have no other mana sources. Ash Barrens can get more types of basic lands and doesn't cost a life. The fetchland seems clearly better, unless

• your deck needs to be able to reliably fetch more than two types of basic lands;
    • the flexibility of fetching dual lands isn't worth the one mana life payment (e.g. your deck runs no dual lands).

• I'm seeing this more as an Eldrazi option for finding Wastes and powering up colorless spells against Blood Moon. I don't think this will replace anything in decks that run fetchlands. Legacy has more Blood Moon, so probably a better bet there.

• Playing a bunch of actual basic Wastes seems like a better Eldrazi option for powering out colorless spells against Blood Moon. I don’t think they want the tempo hit of paying 1 mana to fetch a land either.

I’m liking this for the Blue Moon deck with TKS that was on TMD a while back though. You can drop an early Blood Moon and cycle for both Islands and Wastes.

• @evouga another advantage of Ash Barrens is that it still has utility even if there are no more basic lands in your library (by virtue of tapping for colorless mana). The same cannot be said of fetchlands.

• I also like that its a way to fetch up a basic land for cards like Abolish.

• It's real utility has been called out (blood moon insurance against decks running colorless and colored spells).
    It is also a tappable land when you are out of basics in your deck, unlike fetches which can run dry. And it can fetch colorless which a fetch land cannot.
    Comparing it to painlands, this card costs you no life and is safe against blood moon. It is also not limited to 2 colors and colorless like pains are.
    It is also better against Thalia, as it does not get shut out like a fetch searching for a dual would.

I am not saying this is a card that is slotting in everywhere, but it absolutely should see play somewhere.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.