Why is this the Vintage content that gets a platform?

• http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/gifts-ungiven-in-vintage/

Why is this the Vintage content that gets a platform?

• Probably because the author is employed by CFB? I highly doubt the content in such articles is closely checked or anything of the sort.

• I think this might be parody.

• This article was obv a joke, or MTGO just has a very horrible metagame.

• This post is deleted!

• Remember Brainburst? Like CFB, Brainburst was a retail/marketing-first website that had dozens of magic pros write terrible articles for them. Now if you try to go to Brainburst, you're directed to TCGplayer.

• TMD Supporter

This post is deleted!

• TMD Supporter

This post is deleted!

• Administrators

This is the content that gets a platform because the writer asked to have one. The barriers for getting an article on a site like CFB are pretty low. There aren't a ton of people out there who want to put in the work to make quality vintage content.

• TMD Supporter

This post is deleted!

• @wappla I don't know the author, but let's not be mean. If someone doesn't like this content, write and publish content one prefers instead.

• TMD Supporter

To be fair, I think wappla's content sucks but I don't go making a thread about it

• @Juggernaut-GO @Smmenen

You are both missing the point. I don't care whether I like the content or not, and I didn't make this thread to complain about an article. I didn't say anything bad about the article at all. (Although, that this went without saying certainly does speak volumes about the article's quality.)

To return to the title of the thread, Why is this the Vintage writing that gets put in front of the largest number of people?

• Administrators

Seriously, there's not a lot of vintage content out there ... there are more sites that want it than there are people making it. I know you've written some pretty good articles wappla ... have you contacted the editor at channel fireball and asked them if they want to post it? This guy did. That's all there is to it.

I assure you, there is nobody out there who's reading through a bunch of vintage articles, evaluating them , and determining that this is the article they're going to post on CFB. Remember that the editors on these sites are by and large not vintage players - they don't know when vintage content is good or not, they just know that one of their writers said "I'd like to post a vintage article"

• I've asked CFB and StarCity if they wanted my content. They didn't.

Given that CFB is basically a bunch of friends, this guy probably met them or was already friends with some of them, and that's how the article got put up.

• @wappla said:

To return to the title of the thread, Why is this the Vintage writing that gets put in front of the largest number of people?

Aesthetic is the primary motivation of individuals who can afford to play paper Vintage. I thought MTGO would change this dynamic but apparently this format is forever doomed to be viewed through a casual lens by individuals thoroughly engrossed in nostalgia fueled danger of cool things.

• TMD Supporter

@ajfirecracker said:

I've asked CFB and StarCity if they wanted my content. They didn't.

Given that CFB is basically a bunch of friends, this guy probably met them or was already friends with some of them, and that's how the article got put up.

I don't know this for a fact, but I strongly believe that connections and chance do play a large part in what articles get published on which websites.

I can tell you from experience that articles with great strategic depth often times perform worse than some with more casual appeal. So a writer can publish a great article and have it get read by relatively few people, it's just the way it is sometimes.

• I think this is a more relevant topic to the health of the format than being given credit for.

B/G Delirium Deck Guide
    B/G Delirium took the top 2 spots at GP Providence—is it a better choice now than EFro's G/B Aggro?

3 Critical Mistakes We Made in our Pro Tour Kaladesh Testing
    PV's team showed up to PTKLD with a bad metagame read and paid the price. PV shows you exactly where they went wrong.

Improbable Moves
    Brian DeMars takes a look at two in-game situations where he took a bad position and turned it around with creative play.

Dwarves and Vehicles at PT Kaladesh
    With a deck 20 years in the making, Reid finally took the Dwarf tribe into a Pro Tour.

Gifts Ungiven in Vintage
    There's never been a better time to play Vintage, and Daniel Unwin brings you a control deck that is as challenging as it is fun to play!

Alongside myriad posts of results-oriented, tournament-proven, grounded-in-reality strategy, the lone Vintage article published this month, the month of two championship weekends, is an ungrounded (mis-grounded) unproven (disproven, to be more precise) brewing exercise in which the author comes up with a deck that is "as challenging as it is fun" with no pretension of winning as many matches as possible being a relevant criteria for card selection.

New question, then. Why are you ok with the perception of the format being such that this article is deemed acceptable for broad distribution? Or, in simpler terms, why are you, a competitive Vintage player, not offended by this?

• Posting an article about a Gifts brew is fine. He should have played it a bunch and included his results in the analysis. The article is basically half written. Do they have an actual editorial staff?

• Administrators

@ajfirecracker said:

Oh I completely agree... but that's kind of what I'm saying. That's how articles get published - if someone is serious about getting their vintage content out to a wide audience, part of that process is networking. Currently very few vintage players care enough about getting their articles out there to put in that work (Obviously Joe and Stephen have). An alternative, of course, is to put the content you want on CFB on TMD ... I'm super happy to host/hype anything if I can

• @ajfirecracker said:

I've asked CFB and StarCity if they wanted my content. They didn't.

I can't guarantee that this would work for you, but if you write a really good article, and send it to an editor at a major site, I have to imagine you'd have a good chance of getting it published. But asking before hand doesn't seem like the best route, especially if they haven't seen your work.

@wappla said:

@Juggernaut-GO @Smmenen

You are both missing the point. I don't care whether I like the content or not, and I didn't make this thread to complain about an article. I didn't say anything bad about the article at all.

Uhhh. Sure, it wasn't explicit, but it was strongly implied. If you didn't want that interpretation, I suggest being more clear about what you mean. Brevity may be the soul of wit, but it also leaves a good deal of ambiguity.

You literally wrote one line, the same subject header and one-sentence OP. Imagine if I said, about a movie, why did this film get a studio to make it? That looks and sounds like a pretty big slam.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.