Notion Thief vs Leovold, Emissary of Trest

• I prefer Notion, because its surprise factor can be decisive to win a game.

What do you think about it?
    Which is the best?

• @JMahncke In what situation? These are 2 very different cards that function, usually in different kinds of decks. Even though they have a similar control mechanic I don't think they are really easily comparable. What deck are you playing that would have to make a choice between these 2 cards? It would have to be 4 color minimum which isn't unheard of.

But I think they generally fit into different builds to begin with.

• I guess he means in general for Vintage, considering the fact that many BUG decks play Leovold instead of Notion but Notion has it's own deck based on him. Rather than a given context I think Notion Thief has a better spectrum of use and versability (in Vintage) but that's just my opinion so far.

• As said, it depends on the deck. Having flash, I prefer notion in decks with lots of instants and other flashy creatures. Works nicely with draw-7, but also with fayden.

Leovold works at sorcery speed and demands 3 colors, but 1 less mana. It looks great with deathrite shaman, easily playable in T2 after it. Unlikely notion, it does not give advantage directly, but drawing a card each time something yours is targetted is nice. Better in the long term, while notion can be awesome stealing gushes, ancestral, jace&fayden activations...

Both die to common removal, though leovold can block more creatures and survives snuff out.

I personally prefer notion because of the flash clause and because cavern on humans is safer than cavern on advisors. But probably Leovold is better overall.

• Neither card is very well positioned in modern Vintage.

• TMD Supporter

I've been pretty good about smelling a Notion Thief blowout coming and planning accordingly, but the few times it happened it was pretty devastating.

Holding up four mana is a pain in the rear and that's part of the reason that it's probably not seen more than it once was.

I have zero experience with or against Leovold because MAGIC ONLINE IS A QUALITY PROGRAM. It's too bad too because I have ideas I'd like to try with the guy.

• TMD Supporter

@socialite said:

Neither card is very well positioned in modern Vintage.

Thief has its place in the metagame in my opinion. It's not a tier1 card, but definitely very playable. I have grown to respect the card.

However I am not sold on Leovold. I just dont see it having much of an impact. I mean Notion Thief is a small player in a big pond, Im not trying to convince anyone how great it is. It has it's place and role in the format, whereas Leovold has lot to prove still and I have my doubts.

• Leovold's second ability is the big reason to play him. Its obviously great against discard effects, and generates value off of removal. A deck like Grixis therapy would be much happier to see a Notion Thief than a Leovold (not that they'd really be happy to see either).

The Shops MU is where there are major notable differences between Notion Thief and Leovold though. You draw a card for every counter removed from Triskelion that's pretty insane, he has 3 toughness letting him block a lot of the smaller creatures, and he costs 1 less CMC making him easier to squeeze down under spheres. Where Notion thief is pretty much useless in that MU, Leovald seems a decent piece of a control deck.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.