Space Ships over Eternal Weekend

• With @islandswamp mentioning my list, I felt inspired to share my experiences with my list over Eternal Weekend. It is not as detailed as others, sinceI really only have my pad paper scraps to rely on to recall certain events from matches.

Going into Eternal Weekend, I reflected on the following:
    -Being able to attack through Moat, a counter-measure that also deals with Eldrazi threats in blue decks, was something I wanted to have available.
    -I suspected that a significant amount of Eldrazi decks would be played, so I decided to relegate the Thorn of Amethysts to add Crucible of Worlds and Smokestack. I also wanted Ghost Quarter main since testing with my friends back of home with colorless Eldrazi also helped against both Eldrazi and Workshop mirrors.
    -Returning to Mishra's Factory and Karn, Silver Golem to crew/animate vehicles felt like such excellent synergy that I wanted to try it out.
    -Chief of the Foundry was a strong 'lord effect' for a beatdown plan against Null Rod decks. Additionally, it allows for stronger vehicles and for Phyrexian Revoker to Crew Skysovereign, Consul's Flagship solo.
    -With so many 1-ofs and 2-ofs, adding Inventors' Fair would prove to be a crucial tutor for the list (in addition to regaining life from Ancient Tomb), so pending on your draws, you can change your game plan accordingly. Smuggler's Copter also allowed for some card filtering to help with this strategy. Combined with Crucible of Worlds, you end up having a very powerful engine that uses 'every part of the deer'.

Onward to the weekend itself....

“Space Ships” – Eternal Weekend - 4PM Vintage Trial

4 Mishra’s Workshop
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mishra’s Factory
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Inventors’ Fair

1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Sol Ring
    2 Crucible of the Worlds
    2 Smokestack
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Tangle Wire
    1 Fleetwheel Cruiser
    1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
    2 Smuggler’s Copter

4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Lodestone Golem
    1 Karn, Silver Golem
    2 Triskelion
    2 Chief of the Foundry

Sideboard:
    4 Grafdigger’s Cage
    2 Witchbane Orb
    2 Dismember
    2 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Round-by-Round Observations:
    Rnd-1 – Eldrazi (Christopher McCurry)
    Outcome: 2-0
    Notable cards from opponent: Matter Reshaper
    Noteworthy cards for me: Phyrexian Metamorph, Ghost Quarter

Rnd-2 – Omni-Tell, Sultai Oath (Colin Wu)
    Outcome: 2-1
    Noteable cards from opponent: Blazing Archon, Omniscience, Show and Tell
    Noteworthy cards for me: Smuggler’s Copter, Fleetwheel Cruiser
    -My opponent attempted to race me by attacking with Griselbrand while keeping me at bay with Blazing Archon; however, using Oath to get Blazing Archon out milled him to very few cards left. Smuggler's Copter bought enough time to win a game via decking.

Rnd-3 – MUD (Charlie Krug)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Mishra’s Workshop
    Noteworthy cards for me: Chief of the Foundry, Crucible of Worlds, Ghost Quarter

Rnd-4 – MUD (Ryan Glackin)
    Outcome: 2-1 (Ryan scooped when we went to turns since he was paired up.)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Ensnaring Bridge, Smokestack, Crucible of Worlds
    Noteworthy cards for me: Phyrexian Metamorph, Triskelion

Rnd-5 – Gush-Mentor (Jonathan Suarez)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Gush, Monastery Mentor
    Noteworthy cards for me: Sphere of Resistance, Thorn of Amethyst

Reflections:
    I found myself slightly dissatisfied with 2x The Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale, so I decided to cut one for a Spine of Ish Shah, a piece of technology I implemented after noticing it in Hiromichi Ito’s sideboard for his Workshops list. Inventors' Fair could allow me to tutor for it in certain situations.

“Space Ships” – 2016 North American Vintage Championship

4 Mishra’s Workshop
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mishra’s Factory
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Inventors’ Fair

1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Sol Ring
    2 Crucible of the Worlds
    2 Smokestack
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Tangle Wire
    1 Fleetwheel Cruiser
    1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
    2 Smuggler’s Copter

4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Lodestone Golem
    1 Karn, Silver Golem
    2 Triskelion
    2 Chief of the Foundry

Sideboard:
    4 Grafdigger’s Cage
    2 Witchbane Orb
    2 Dismember
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Spine of Ish Shah
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Round-by-Round Observations:
    Rnd-1 – Bye Round (Rewarded from 4PM Vintage Trial)

Rnd-2 – 4-Color Oath (Patrick Liu)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Oath of Druids
    Noteworthy cards for me: Sphere of Resistance, Smokestack

Rnd-3 – Eldrazi (Mitchell Eberhart)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Null Rod
    Noteworthy cards for me: Ghost Quarter, Crucible of Worlds

Rnd-4 – Jeskai Mentor (Zach Dobbin)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Monastery Mentor, Vendilion Clique
    Noteworthy cards for me: Crucible of Worlds, Smokestack

Rnd-5 – U/W/R/??? Nahiri Mentor? (Brian Coval)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Nahiri, the Harbinger, Dack Fayden
    Noteworthy cards for me: Fleetwheel Cruiser, Chief of the Foundry

Rnd-6 – Paradoxical Outcome (Preston Coordy)
    Outcome: 0-2
    Noteable cards from opponent: Tezzeret the Seeker, Oath of Druids, Blazing Archon
    Noteworthy cards for me: Smuggler’s Copter

Rnd-7 - Mentor (Daniel Miller)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Stony Silence
    Noteworthy cards for me: Chief of the Foundry, Inventors’ Fair, Karn, Silver Golem
    -I recall using Inventors' Fair to tutor for Karn, Silver Golem who eventually started animating vehicles and other assorted artifacts.

Rnd-8 – White Eldrazi (Erik Pentycofe)
    Outcome: 0-2
    Noteable cards from opponent: Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Snow-Covered Plains
    Noteworthy cards for me: Ghost Quarter
    -The only thing I recall specifically from these games was using Ghost Quarter, only to realize that he ran basics, something that caught me off-guard and thus ending me run for Top 8.

Rnd-9 – Paradoxical Outcome (Chris Pepin)
    Outcome: 2-1* (Opponent scooped mid-game two with the win on the stack. See his TMD post.)
    Noteable cards from opponent: Paradoxical Outcome, Thoughtcast, Force of Will
    Noteworthy cards for me: Sphere of Resistance, Tangle Wire, Smokestack

Reflections:
    This list performed well. Due to how this list could attack from so many different angles, it kept most of my opponents off-balance as to how you would attack their game plan. The ability to change your plan due to the card filtering and the tutor effects allowed for this.

Going into Round 6, I really had no idea what I was facing. I wish I could have shown the capabilities of what my deck could do on camera better, but alas, it was just not meant to be.

Overall, an 11th place finish was not too shabby.

Finally, I feel that my deck name needed some explanation.

I named the deck after what was playing on my TV at the time while considering my deck choice: the LEGO movie. The scene that was playing was when 1980s Spaceman was building spaceships to save the rest of the crew. He also happens to be my favorite character in the movie. In my first pack of Kaladesh, I opened the Skysovereign, Consul’s Flagship, and it reminded me of this scene. Thus, with all of these happening simultaneously, the name’s origin came to be.

Seeing how this deck seems to do some many awesome things, I have started calling it LEGO shops ever since because it reminds me of building with LEGO (Helicopters, Cars, 'Space' ships, etc).

Thanks for reading.

• TMD Supporter

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure about Smuggler's Copter and I guess I overlooked it, but it seems like looting away unneeded cards is pretty powerful in a MUD deck. Kaladesh was full of a lot of great cards for Vintage it seems.

• I will now forever hear Bennie says Spaceship over and over when thinking of this deck.

I like the list. It looks like it has decent game against null rod, too, which is one of my usual concerns.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.