Bant Oath

• Trying a take on oath that I haven't seen before. Looking for advice and any suggestions. I am mostly a modern player just starting to get into vintage and would like any help on understanding the format.

Lands:
    4x flooded strand
    1x misty rainforest
    2x tropical island
    2x tundra
    1x volcanic island
    2x Island
    2x forbidden orchard
    1x library of alexandria

Instants:
    1x ancestral recall
    1x beast within
    1x brainstorm
    1x dig through time
    1x enlightened tutor
    2x flusterstorm
    3x force of will
    2x gush
    3x mental misstep
    1x repeal
    1x swan song
    1x thirst for knowledge
    1x mana drain
    1x ancient grudge

Sorceries:
    1x ponder
    3x preordain
    1x supreme verdict
    1x time walk

Enchantments:
    1x moat
    4x oath of druids
    1x sylvan library

Artifacts:
    1x black lotus
    1x engineered explosives
    1x mox emerald
    1x mox sapphire
    1x mox pearl
    1x mox jet
    1x mox ruby
    1x sol ring

Planeswalkers:
    2x jace, the mind sculptor
    1x narset transcendant

creatures:
    1x emrakul, the aeons torn
    1x dragonlord dromoka

Sideboard:
    1x blazing archon
    1x blightsteel colossus
    1x engineered explosives
    2x pithing needle
    1x rest in peace
    1x stony silence
    2x mindbreak trap
    2x ravenous trap
    2x steel sabotage
    2x natures claim

• TMD Supporter

If I was going to enter a Bant Oath deck in a tournament it would look something like this. https://islandswamp.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/fortress-of-solitude/

• @Islandswamp I was trying to figure out a way to find a balance between controlling and having a fast finish similar to golden gun oath. The option to board in blightsteel was to mitigate loss to low interaction combo decks by attempting to combo faster, and I feel that enlightened tutor can fill the gap left by the black tutors better than more can trips.

• TMD Supporter

If there's one card in an Oath of Druids deck that I won't cut, it would be Oath of Druids. Play four. Enlightened Tutor is pretty bad, I hate Vampiric Tutor for the card advantage and reluctantly play it. I considered ONE E.T. for my deck, but ultimately I felt that it just wasn't going to be as good as I needed it to be.

One Oath creature is not enough. You don't have many ways to put it back into your deck if you draw it, and you're never going to cast Emrakul.

Bant is kind of a weak color combination for an Oath deck, although it's very close. I have a Bant Moat Oath deck list I've been working on, but part of me thinks that I'm just wasting time because Salvagers is likely just better. I can't practice salvagers properly online though, so I haven't built it to test with.

2 Narset and 1 Jace should be two jace and probably zero Narset. I almost wanted to try Narset as a way to replay Time Walk, but I'm convinced that's magical Xmas land win-more shtick.

Dragon Breath is good in SOME Oath decks, probably not this one as most of your list looks like it wants to be a control deck.

Are you cutting Moxen because you don't have them or is it because you think it's better that way? The only Oath deck that should ever be cutting Moxen is if it's running Landstill as there is a legit reason (mox topdeck with standstill otb is bad). For any other Oath deck you really want to maximize the number of turn one Oaths you can cast. Usually 5 mox, lotus, and sol ring is fine, but I'm often running Mana crypt instead of Sol Ring (because it's better on turn one with Oath, but worse other times) and I've even played lotus petal just to get those busted opening hands more often.

I love the idea of two copies of Ponder, but the DCI and judges may not be so keen on it.

You have to ask yourself what you gain by playing your list that is better or at least equal to other decks, and I'm not sure I see that. I do like Moat, that's pretty cool. I got the idea to try that from Greg Fenton. I think that there's some merit.

• TMD Supporter

@cheerlessbear said:

@Islandswamp I was trying to figure out a way to find a balance between controlling and having a fast finish similar to golden gun oath. The option to board in blightsteel was to mitigate loss to low interaction combo decks by attempting to combo faster, and I feel that enlightened tutor can fill the gap left by the black tutors better than more can trips.

well give it a shot, test it out, and tell me how it goes. My gut tells me that you're not going to like enlightened tutor very much though, top deck tutors are really rough on your hand size. Also you should probably shave a Ponder before submitting that deck to a judge.

• TMD Supporter

Five real Islands is a little rough to have Gush a viable option, and without extra moxen the combination of Gush and the couple expensive cards will make for some serious issues.

I don't want to be all negative though, and I will say that I like some of what you're doing. There are quite a few cards in your list that I've been trying out myself. Specifically Moat and Supreme Verdict.

• @Islandswamp As I said I am new to the format and I am looking for all the help I can get. All input is greatly appreciated. I made some adjustments to the deck but I still am having trouble with what sort of cards should be in the sideboard and how much of it is meta dependat vs things you need just to avoid getting completely blown out by some decks. Also I forgot to mention the deck was inspired by your article on mtggoldfish.

• TMD Supporter

@cheerlessbear said:

@Islandswamp As I said I am new to the format and I am looking for all the help I can get. All input is greatly appreciated. I made some adjustments to the deck but I still am having trouble with what sort of cards should be in the sideboard and how much of it is meta dependat vs things you need just to avoid getting completely blown out by some decks. Also I forgot to mention the deck was inspired by your article on mtggoldfish.

Thank you very much. I'm glad I was able to inspire you to try oath. Like I said in my last post, I didn't want to be all negative. I'm truly sorry if it came off that way!

• A new version of the deck built around the sun titan / saheeli rai combo. I like this inclusion because sun titan is useful even if hard cast and can still win without oath.

Lands:
    4x flooded strand
    1x misty rainforest
    2x tropical island
    2x tundra
    1x volcanic island
    2x Island
    2x forbidden orchard
    1x library of alexandria

Instants:
    1x ancestral recall
    1x beast within
    1x brainstorm
    1x dig through time
    1x enlightened tutor
    2x flusterstorm
    3x force of will
    2x gush
    3x mental misstep
    1x repeal
    1x swan song
    1x ancient grudge

Sorceries:
    1x ponder
    3x preordain
    1x supreme verdict
    1x time walk
    1x Gaea's blessing

Enchantments:
    4x oath of druids
    1x sylvan library

Artifacts:
    1x black lotus
    1x engineered explosives
    1x mox emerald
    1x mox sapphire
    1x mox pearl
    1x mox jet
    1x mox ruby
    1x sol ring

Planeswalkers:
    2x jace, the mind sculptor
    3x Saheeli rai

creatures:
    1x Blightsteel colossus
    1x Sun titan

Sideboard:
    1x blazing archon
    1x Dragonlord Dromoka
    1x engineered explosives
    2x pithing needle
    1x rest in peace
    1x stony silence
    2x mindbreak trap
    2x ravenous trap
    2x steel sabotage
    2x natures claim

• TMD Supporter

Have you been able to test your list yet? There are programs beyond MTGO like cockatrice, untap.in , and xmage that people use.

My hunch is that you're going to find the anti-synergy between Moat and Blightsteel/Sun Titan to be a problem.

I'd encourage you to start with an established list, learn that, then move on to tuning and.tweaking.

• I didn't even realize the anti synergy there! I got excited because I really like the combo and just modified the deck to add it. I haven't play tested it because it seemed more like a cute idea for now. I want to get some experience with a more standard list before branching out too much.

• TMD Supporter

@cheerlessbear try that untap.in or cockatrice, they're completely free. I can tag some cockatrice players to play with you if you're interested.

• Using a free program sounds like it might be a good idea before committing to a deck. Thank you for telling me about that!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.