Oh Boy I Can't Wait For VSL Season 6!

• Volleyball season just ended here in Michigan. So I'm slowly figuring out what free time looks like again. I got back on the MTG corners of the internets last night to discover that season 6 is in the works. Yes!

What do we think? What decks get played? Who do we want to see in? Is anyone out there as psyched to watch as me?

• Would like to buy consistent talented commentators not actively playing in the event.

• @socialite said:

Would like to buy consistent talented commentators not actively playing in the event.

An upvote was not sufficient

• @socialite said:

Would like to buy consistent talented commentators not actively playing in the event.

I am available and interested in doing commentary full time for this, and future Champs or EE level events that could use people who know the format inside out.

• @socialite I am exactly one of those things... and would love to volunteer my services for free!

• I disagree. We've had several top-notch commentators. LSV, Efro, Randy, Dr. Shay, Pikula, Rietzl stand out to me, roughly in that order, and only a couple of the others would I ever term dull.

• @BazaarOfBaghdad If you disagree with me being a commentator, then I agree with you disagreeing with me. I also don't disagree with you that the commentators are in fact, quite good most of the time. (The dulcet tones of Rich Shay anyone?) But I also don't disagree that a commentator who isn't involved in the heat of the battle might be agreeable... I recall Steve getting played off the stage by crazy and the crypt-flips last year, and then not making his scheduled commenting for the next match, and who can really disagree with him? Nobody expects Tom Brady to lose on a last second hail-mary in the day game, then come back and broadcast Sunday Night Football. Do you agree?

• @BazaarOfBaghdad said:

I disagree. We've had several top-notch commentators. LSV, Efro, Randy, Dr. Shay, Pikula, Rietzl stand out to me, roughly in that order, and only a couple of the others would I ever term dull.

Meh.

• @socialite I swear, "I've seen better" is gonna be the epitaph on this guy's tombstone some day.

• Administrators

I definitely can't comment on "VSL commentator quality" without being biased - but if people are really interested in different commentary (either different casters or a different format), voting on that sort of stuff is already built into the VSL Patreon. I'm also pretty sure Randy is open to direct feedback from supporters.

• I like hearing thoughts from the players on why they elected certain lines and what have you. Much like the one occasion where Steve had to solo stream his game against Brian and we got to see into his head.

But I think having more individuals to rotate in and out so when someone isn't feeling it (salt, lack of interest, it's two in the morning or whatever reason) that having people eager and happy to do so would be fantastic.

• I think that the current concept with the players commentating is very good. You get their thoughts on the match they've just played and I like the diversity in commentating this approach gives. Of course there are some commentators who you like better than others, but overall I'd prefer keeping it this way.

• TMD Supporter

@socialite That's informative. :D

• @mdkubiak said in Oh Boy I Can't Wait For VSL Season 6!:

@socialite That's informative. :D

I mean if you want me to delve into the hypocrisy of B&R griping and the supposed leading of the restricted list by VSL participants while simultaneously defending the mediocrity that is the commentary then by all means let me begin...

• TMD Supporter

@socialite said:

I

I'm good, thanks, but I don't know how saying 'meh' adds to the conversation. It's one thing not liking it, that is your prerogative and I will never question your right. There are varying levels of quality of commentary, sure, but that doesn't invalidate everyone who speaks.

• TMD Supporter

Speaking on specific decks, I would like to see more unique decks. We all know the power of the tier 1 decks, but I'd like to see some of the more unique decks that are out there. That is why I've been such a fan of Paul in the last season. He's new to vintage, but he's not afraid to try some unique builds (that sometimes work, that sometimes don't).

Blue Moon would be fun to see, Car Shops (as a personal preference, not for its uniqueness), maybe some unique Eldrazi builds, colored shops, Welder decks, Big Blue decks, BUG decks, etc.

• @mdkubiak said in Oh Boy I Can't Wait For VSL Season 6!:

@socialite said:

I

I'm good, thanks, but I don't know how saying 'meh' adds to the conversation. It's one thing not liking it, that is your prerogative and I will never question your right. There are varying levels of quality of commentary, sure, but that doesn't invalidate everyone who speaks.

Cool story, you're literally chastising me for responding to a subjective statement with the same. Crap in crap out my mother has always said.

• TMD Supporter

@socialite said:

Cool story, you're literally chastising me for responding to a subjective statement with the same. Crap in crap out my mother has always said.

Ok

• I have been watching a ton of VSL, champs coverage, and Randy's twitch lately and had noticed some of the B&R comments.

Personally, I would prefer some additional balance in the commentary. I'm cool with some griping, but I don't remember hearing much griping that wasn't related to lodestone, tomb, chalice...etc. I think at one point on Randy's stream I heard "die dirty shop player." :). May be my own biases though.

• @Balanceftw I just think it would be a cool way for more people to participate in what is a great league. Brassman anyone? He would be great. (Props to working your own name into your post, while keeping it topical.)

• TMD Supporter

@JACO said in Oh Boy I Can't Wait For VSL Season 6!:

@socialite said:

I am available in interested in doing commentary full time for this, and future Champs or EE level events that could use people who know the format inside out.

That would be great!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.