Vintage 101: Sun Titans Go!

• TMD Supporter

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/vintage-101-sun-titans-go

"Islandswamp takes a look at Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Metalwork Colossus, and infinite Sun Titans in Vintage!"

Thanks to @ChubbyRain . @DBatterskull , and Ruben Xiota for making sweet brews for this week :) .

0_1480125234907_upload-5ecc2b04-96d9-4d40-8621-6aefdb4bb920 0_1480125248170_upload-6090fd6e-67db-44f9-a3d7-ebd7731eb6c7

• sings the chubbyrain song

I think I might be in love with this deck.

• The Sun Titan / Saheeli Rai combo in Oath has been around for quite some time now already. I don't know who came up with it but I've played against it a few times several weeks ago. I gotta say though that I was not overly impressed. I think that Saheeli is exactly what everyone thought she would be: not quite good enough. I think that Sun Titan Oath is very strong, but I don't think that Saheeli is needed at all.

• A 3/3 for 3 is a bad rate.

• TMD Supporter

@socialite It's certainly no Siege Rhino, that's for sure. It's not even as good an an Ernahm Djin! Yuck. I have to stop drinking while I write things.

• TMD Supporter

@socialite said in Vintage 101: Sun Titans Go!:

A 3/3 for 3 is a bad rate.

I probably should have chosen a different adjective to describe being a 3/3 for three, but I don't think it's "bad" either. Costing three different colors does make it much less appealing as well I guess.

Thanks for the feedback!

• I've played the Saheeli combo in tournament practice rooms. My thought of its role is that it is a Dragon's Breath than can be pitched to Force of Will.

• @Islandswamp I think your line was quite fair as written. Within the context of Vintage, we're obviously not talking about pure aggro. Compare the disruptive creatures in Hatebears at three mana: it outshines Big Thalia, Aven Mindcensor, Sanctum Prelate, Vryn Wingmare, Spell Queller, Kambal, and Trygon Predator. Leovold's stats are actually above the curve. The 3-power-for-3cc disruptive creatures are: Sulfur Elemental, Scab-Clan both in red, and Eldrazi Displacer. But all of these are limited disruption (Scab-Clan is probably good but lacks support). Even more pure aggro is True-Name Nemesis, Knight of the Reliquary, and Mantis Rider, but rarely is anyone interested.

• I am def gonna have to try the infinite Sunt Titans; for me its a between Pernicous deeds and Trinisphere vs Gush and Win on the spot in this version vs mine. My BURG Sun titan oath deck has very good game against any "Fair" decks like mentor or shops but struggles against storm. This seems better against storm but just weaker to any deck with 4 swords but I need to play wit hit before I know for sure.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.