[AER] Trophy Mage

• Trophy Mage - 2U
    Creature - Human Wizard - Unknown Rarity
    When Trophy Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 3, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
    2/2

It finds far fewer restricted cards than Trinket Mage (Trinisphere, end list), but may have some sort of utility anyway. Ensnaring Bridge comes to mind as a silver bullet that's irrelevant in multiples.

• Administrators

A quick skim of 3CMC artifacts yields nothing particularly exciting.

Ensnaring Bridge and Crucible of Worlds stand out to me as the most interesting.

Trinisphere, Tangle Wire, Phyrexian Legionaire are all good cards, but much worse in situations where you've already resolved a 2U creature.

Swords of X and Y are nice to have, but Stoneforge does this job much better.

Sculpting Steel, Damping Matrix, Shardless Agent are probably fringe-playable.

There are a number of 3 drop combo-components, but they're all so much worse than Vault/Key that they don't bear mentioning.

I think the challenge with this card is finding a deck that wants a mix of these cards ... many of which don't seem very synergistic (e.g. what deck wants Ensnaring Bridge and Sword of Fire and Ice?). I don't like the card given the options out there right now ... but this sort of card can get significant boosts from future printings

• @Brass-Man
    Maybe not for Vintage, but I can see Modern Lantern Control wanting a tutor for Ensnaring Bridge and Crucible .

• Is the card even real? It isn't confirmed anywhere is it? I don't really like discussing rumors here =/

• alt text

• @socialite I've seen the picture. But both rares have no holographic seal. Are we supposed to find them real? Is this a common misprint? If they're real, why are talking about the mage and not the black Wrath + play your Mentor card?

• I dono dude. I misplaced my tinfoil hat, will let you know when I find it.

• This post is deleted!

• TMD Supporter

I posted this on my Facebook yesterday, after using gatherer to look at every 3CC Artifact that exists in the game.

Trophy Mage for:
    Trinisphere
    Crucible of Worlds
    Horn of Greed
    Tangle Wire
    Rings of Brightharth
    Any of the Swords
    Ensnaring Bridge (though your deck is blue, so doubtful)
    Master of Etherium
    Esperzoa
    Etched Champion
    Forcefield
    Killswitch
    Proteous Staff (Potential combo with a trio of these and something sick?)
    Sculpting Steel
    Shardless Agent (funny maybe in Legacy?)
    Staff of Domination and Metalworker (Blue Staff Combo?)
    Vedalken Shackles

• Chimeric Idol? Oblivion Stone? Chromatic Lantern? All seem fair. Prolly more EDH than Vintage tho.

• There are the Swords too, and Static Orb or Mesmeric Orb for combo. But yeah, way more valuable in Commander.

• In my pipe dream I revitalize Animal Farm because Trophy Mage fetches both Crucible of Worlds and Horn of Greed.

• Administrators

follow your dreams, mickey

• I am much more excited to use it in my combo deck in standard and modern

• @mickey.nobilis I spent a good 2 hours or so trying to find as much information on the deck you mentioned, last I could find a list played was in 2004? Seems like a pretty sweet deck would love to see an updated list if you end up building it :)

• TMD Supporter

@mickey.nobilis animal farm? I'm intrigued.

• @Islandswamp http://decks.tcgplayer.com/magic/vintage/brian-cox/animal-farm/4326

It was one of the more successful turbo land decks

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.