Exploring Powerless Vintage Reanimator

• Im always exploring various powerless strategies in Vintage because I think they're a blast to play. I've toyed with a few Null Rod lists and now want to expand beyond that (I have several power cards, but it's just not as fun all the time).

This is my initial list for Reanimator. It borrows heavily from the current legacy BR list, but mainly because I believe that this layout lends towards translating better. The creatures in the list are heavily picked based on silver-bullet creatures. Any insight is appreciated as I'm sure there are quite a few tweaks that will be needed.

Note: Sideboard is just silly thrown together. It would always be tailored to the event.

Reanimator
    13 LANDS
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    1 Underground Sea
    3 Scalding Tarn

13 CREATURES
    2 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Blazing Archon

30 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Faithless Looting
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Unmask
    4 Mental Misstep

4 OTHER SPELLS
    3 Reanimate Dead
    1 Lotus Petal

SIDEBOARD
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Helm of Obedience
    2 Sudden Shock
    2 Ingot Chewer

• @QuickRawr I think I'd start with 4 Bazaar - can't play Misstep in Legacy. Possibly Boseiju?

• TMD Supporter

If you're going to play Dark Ritual, you might want Necropotence

• Administrators

Necro is pretty busted, but if you're going to run it, don't forget that it turns discard a card into exile a card, so it would turn off Faithless Looting.

• If you're playing show and tell in the side, why not Ancient tomb in the main?

• TMD Supporter

U/B Reanimator in legacy is built like a gush deck. That's where I'd start.

• I built one for our vintage night that ran a lot of ritual effects so I could actually just cast sire or grizz occasionally... and it was running some bazzars.
    it wasn't bad, but not great either

• @Brass-Man said in Exploring Powerless Vintage Reanimator:

Necro is pretty busted, but if you're going to run it, don't forget that it turns discard a card into exile a card, so it would turn off Faithless Looting.

It also turns off the not-uncommon Thoughtsieze me, discard my reanimation target while making their targeted discard significantly better.

@Gumgod said in Exploring Powerless Vintage Reanimator:

If you're playing show and tell in the side, why not Ancient tomb in the main?

In my experience, if you're playing lands for Show and Tell, it's usually City of Traitors so you can maximize the number of Griselbrand draws.

Consider moving some of the S&Ts to the main to dodge maindeck GY hate.

• I love Reanimator, and in particular the card Reanimate.

Did someone already mention the interaction between discard to nab your opponent's Mentor/TKS/Smasher, and then reanimating it? So good!

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.