Custom Decklist formatting / Forum tags ... input requested!

• Administrators

Hey Planeswalkers!

I'm looking into implementing custom text parsing for the site. If you're familiar with markdown or bbcode, you have the general idea, if not, imagine typing [deck name="Islands!"] 60 Island [/deck] and getting a pretty, formatted decklist, or ::Ancestral Recall:: to post a hover-to-see-preview link for the card. Think of it as an emoji, but instead of an image, it's any kind of text/image/formatting/widget we want.

I'm looking for any and all input about this feature. Custom tags/codes you might use, syntax that you think is easy to use, etc.

• Administrators

Also consider what parameters you care about for more complex tags. A decklist could include a name, designer, tournament finish - what's the right balance between helpful and not overwhelming?

• @Brass-Man said in Custom Decklist formatting / Forum tags ... input requested!:

Also consider what parameters you care about for more complex tags. A decklist could include a name, designer, tournament finish - what's the right balance between helpful and not overwhelming?

Lots of thoughts:

1. I think regardless of what tags get added, let's focus on getting a functional list tool first.

2. I don't think there's any need at all for a designer tag at all.
      I also think this applies to the DCI's decklists. Most TO's aren't posting the designer listed. Some aren't even posting the deck name written on the decklist. Most players don't know who designed their list.
      I've registered Pyrostorm as "Peazystorm" with "Yeazy" as the deck designer and "Tin Fins, Return of the Onion Burst: You'll wish you had less fun!" with "Grisselbrand" as the designer.
      I think a designer tag would end up being an ego stroke (eg, I changed 2 cards from Andy's list, now I can say I'm the designer). At worst, I imagine there will be a fair bit of off topic discussion in threads regarding who the proper credit is.

3. While additional information such as finish and tournament name are nice, how much different is [NAME="some_name" TOURNAMENT="some_tournament" FINISH="some_finish"] going to look from [NAME="some_name, some_finish at some_event].
      There is the potential to link decks by event but now you've invented TCDecks with a forum.

4. Additonal tags: Not sure if this counts as a tag but some way to separate different sections of a decklist would be nice. At minimum, users need to be able to separate their maindeck and their sideboard.
      The plugin I'm using on my LGS' website takes any line that doesn't start with a line and renders it as bold text, allowing you to make the separations in any way you like.
      Other options:

• Being able to separate lists into what the cards do is neat. EG, I believe Jaco used to sort decklists into something like Mana, Card Draw/Tutors, and Business. This does have the same potential downside as the designer credit that people could argue about something really unimportant in the tread.
    • Separating by card type is cool. Relying on the user to do it will be... tricky. If you want to put some extra work into it, you could have a lookup that automatically categorizes cards in this way.

edited to add: If you need any help, reach out to the community. I know I've got lots of free time and moderate coding skills.

• For decklists, I've always got a lot of mileage out of this taxonomy:

• mana sources
    • threats
    • card draw/manipulation
    • disruption
    • sideboard

These categories tend to be more mutually exclusive (offering less overlap) than those offered by other systems. They also are pretty intuitive and cover everything except possibly a few proactive measures like Defense Grid (which maybe counts as proactive disruption).

• Administrators

So there are no plans to have any kind of dedicated, searchable deck depository, this would purely be for the text decklists that people are already posting, making them look a little nicer. Something like a TCDecks integration would be an entirely different set of work that I'm not considering at this time

I'm not too worried about the fun names that people register decks with. There's nothing stopping people from writing the name "Peazystorm" above a decklist now. I agree that "designer" could add drama, but I think there's value to being able to call out "this is a list I made for this post" vs "this is a list played by X in tournament Y", a generic "playerName" field would do that.

Technologically, logic-free tags like "deckname"/"playername" don't add any complexity to the feature, so don't worry about that :D

I agree that being able to seperate cards by category makes a decklist easier to read. I think maybe the best way to handle this is allowing users to mark their own fields - some players won't, but we wouldn't be any worse off than we are now. Any plan involving sorting cards by type would involve making API calls to external sites to lookup card type and then sort, and a huge amount more dev time ... and we're talking vintage which means sometimes artifacts are mana and sometimes lands aren't - I think it's better to let players organize things the way they want to. (I'm still open to something more complex, though, if that's what people want)

• @Brass-Man said in Custom Decklist formatting / Forum tags ... input requested!:

Any plan involving sorting cards by type would involve making API calls to external sites to lookup card type and then sort

So we store every card in the forum DB. I forsee literally zero problems with this plan.

• I'm intrigued about what cards interpretation themshelves. What happens with capital letters, apos, more than one space between words... Also, with cards printed in more than one edition there could be some ambiguity. That is of course if there is any plan to redirect to actual images of the deck.

Also there could be a button to swap between names of the cards or the pics.

• I always loved how MTG Salvation does this. There's a [card] tag, a "card list" tag, "deck" tag and even "mana symbol" tags. It works preety well, since it also has buttons to help you tag stuff (like we do with bold, etc). If it's anywhere near that, I'd be happy.

• TMD Supporter

@fsecco said in Custom Decklist formatting / Forum tags ... input requested!:

I always loved how MTG Salvation does this. There's a [card] tag, a "card list" tag, "deck" tag and even "mana symbol" tags. It works preety well, since it also has buttons to help you tag stuff (like we do with bold, etc). If it's anywhere near that, I'd be happy.

This! I have to second this option! MTGSalvation forums are what they are, but its very functional and easy to use!

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.