Top 4 Finish with 4c Landstill @ TDG NJ

• @Griselbrother said in Top 4 Finish with 4c Landstill @ TDG NJ:

Hi Josh,

Nice to see you doing well with a build you've spent some time building and tweaking. I see that you've made quite a lot of changes from your EW list (most notably cutting down on the counter suite and adding more Deathrite Shamans and Snapcaster Mages as well as adding the fourth color). Can you elaborate on how you came to these change? Also, how come you cut th Crucible maindeck and the whole Baleful Strix/Pack Rat sideboard package?

The changes are basically an inspiration from legacy and less my EW deck. In legacy you have to decide to battle broken decks or fair decks and sideboard for the other. So I wanted to do the same in vintage. I'll take my game 1 loss vs storm/paradox for the most part but attempt to beat the other decks in game 1s. Additionally, the worst thing about bug decks in legacy and vintage alike, is they don't have Swords to Plowshares. This is the absolute best cheap removal vs eldrazi and shops (aggro/car variants). The cut in Crucible is mainly because the card just doesn't do enough in the metagame...its bad vs Gush, to slow vs storm, bad vs paradox, bad vs decks with stable Mana bases. It's basically only good vs shops. Which playing 4 colors meant I wanted to skimp on wastes, I valued Deathrite ramping (removing lands from the grave), which all lead me to believe Crucible isn't good here.

Regarding Baleful Strix and Pack Rat...Baleful Strix is only good sticking with straight BUG. Swords is a replacement with access to white. Pack Rat overall is only really really strong when you're late game and have 5 available Mana on board. The card is bad unless you immediately have Mana to use his ability. I never want to cast him and not have Mana up. That just means he'll get revokered, killed, or something. The investment isn't worth it. Actually the deck when I first started testing had 2 JTMS 1 Gideon main deck. I thought about cutting Gideon for Pack Rat, but ultimately decided JTMS #3 was better than the other options!

@Topical_Island the Avacyn Flash deck did not have Standstill.

• Apologies for the double post. But here's the legacy list I won with a few weeks back, which is a spinning image of this vintage list. You can see all the similarities

4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Jace the Mind Sculptor
    1 Elspeth Knight Errant
    1 Snapcaster Mage

4 Standstill
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Brainstorm

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Dismember
    3 Swords to Plowshares

4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    3 Mishras Factory
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    2 Wasteland

SIDEBOARD
    2 Vendillion Clique
    3 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Wasteland

Rd 1 0-2 delver
    Rd 2 2-1 belcher
    Rd 3 2-1 blade
    Rd 4 1-1-1 blade
    Rd 5 2-0 miracles

T8 2-1 delver
    T4 2-0 storm
    Finals 2-0 miracles (beating a resolved back to basics and ruination in game 2)

• Dude, double post all you want. I wish you posted much more.

• @Topical_Island

To be honest I haven't loved thevery new format of TMD. Maybe I got too used to the old format or maybe there's improvements to be made yet...I post more in the Facebook group "vintage magic the gathering" than I do TMD anymore.

With all that being said I will attempt to post more in here and thank you for the kind words :-P

• Why no Balance?

• @tattoocek

"To be honest I haven't loved the very new format of Vintage. Maybe I got too used to the fun format or maybe there's improvements to be made yet that WOTC will never do..."

Fixed that for you.

• @Soly said in Top 4 Finish with 4c Landstill @ TDG NJ:

@tattoocek

"To be honest I haven't loved the very new format of Vintage. Maybe I got too used to the fun format or maybe there's improvements to be made yet that WOTC will never do..."

Fixed that for you.

Nope not what I meant at all. I've loved vintage through all phases. Might not like the mentor/gush era we are currently in. But it's still vintage and I still enjoy playing...I was referring to the new layout of THE MANA DRAIN.

@Ten-Ten no Balance because if I have 1 critter in play, Balance doesn't do the job I want it to. Still playable I guess but not as good here

• No room for crucible of worlds in the 75? I would have figured that would be a major selling point of standstill. But given that I can't see anything I would immediately cut for it I will give this list a try for a while.

Good job on the finish.

• How do you support mana drain in a deck like this. It is really cool build but it seems the white is too much. Wondering if taking out the white would smooth the mana fixing out. Maybe put in 3 dark confidant and a trygon .
    I was just wondering if you had any mana issues when playing this deck

• TMD Supporter

That's so awesome! I said in another thread that I thought a well designed Landstill deck could perform well in this tournament, and you are a landstill master!

It would be awesome if someone could post the rest of the Top 8 on TMD!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.