So Many Insane Plays Podcast Episode 60: 2016 Year in Review

It's our end of the year episode, the 2016 year in review, including our awards for best set, card, etc.

Next week is a very special show where we preview an INSANE card from Aether Revolt.

Links and stuff:

http://www.eternalcentral.com/so-many-insane-plays-podcast-episode-60-2016-year-in-review/

0:00:17: Announcements: VSL Play-In Tournament, History of Vintage, Annual Vintage Playables Checklist
0:12:45: MTGO Metagame Update
0:22:00: Moxies: Categories
0:23:32: Best New Card
1:01:00: Best New Set
1:12:00: Best Story/Narrative
1:24:00: Best New Deck
1:32:15: Listener Feedback
Total runtime: 1:36:18

Contact us at @ManyInsanePlays on Twitter or e-mail us at SoManyInsanePlaysPodcast@gmail.com.

last edited by Smmenen

Source on Prized Amalgam being a staple? That seems to be putting it pretty strongly to me

Could you please submit your feed to google play so I can actually listen to the show on my phone again. I would even do it for you but I would not be able to verify ownership to get it posted.

https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish

Thanks for the shout-out, guys. When do I get my trophy?

Kevin, congratulations on being asked to participate in the VSL!

glad I listened to this one, best of the year I think. Steve's mini-history on Disenchant effects was great.

@Protoaddct It's a downloadable Mp3, any mp3 can be listened to on your phone.

Great podcast, appreciate the spade calls and real talk.

Guys, thanks so much for the book shout-out! Generation Decks comes out in April, so do stay tuned.

And thank you even more for all the great content you guys have been putting out - loving the podcast!

Happy new year to you both!

@Chase_Dagger said in So Many Insane Plays Podcast Episode 60: 2016 Year in Review:

@Protoaddct It's a downloadable Mp3, any mp3 can be listened to on your phone.

Yes I recognize that, however I don't want to download every episode manually when they come out to listen to them, I want them to be used as a podcast should and have my phone grab them automatically. Getting it on google play is pretty much 1 step and no harder than getting it in iTunes, so why not do it.

@sodoyouwearacape said in So Many Insane Plays Podcast Episode 60: 2016 Year in Review:

Guys, thanks so much for the book shout-out! Generation Decks comes out in April, so do stay tuned.

And thank you even more for all the great content you guys have been putting out - loving the podcast!

Happy new year to you both!

I'm one of the people who downloaded the original E-Book and I have to say with all honesty that I absolutely loved it. I actually read it two or three times, which isn't something I usually do with books.

@Protoaddct the SMIP pod (and all pods on EC) are listed in the iTunes directory, and we may be putting them on SoundCloud and/or Stitcher in early 2017 as well.

That's cool and all for people who use that, but the Google Play library is something totally different, Itunes is to iPhone what Google play is to Andorid if that makes sense

I myself have a podcast, so if you guys need any help getting it on there just DM me and I can tell you how, it literally takes 5 min and you don't have to change anything.

Great show as always. I especially liked the analysis Steve provided on the importance of the Disenchant effect within the color pie and also the significance of the Lodestone Golem restriction on opening up deck construction. Very informative and the main reason I tune in to SMIP. Keep up the good work.

Glad folks enjoyed it.

We have a special show that launches Thursday (@midnight pacific time) on EC that you WILL NOT want to miss.

It's our first ever preview card show, for a new card from Aether Revolt. So look out for it!

@Smmenen That's great! I've always wanted to get one of those. I'm very excited to see what it is though!

@Smmenen Oh man, hope you guys got something at least within the realms of eternal playability. Certainly well-deserved and I look forward to seeing what it is! πŸ™‚

@Smmenen said in So Many Insane Plays Podcast Episode 60: 2016 Year in Review:

Glad folks enjoyed it.

We have a special show that launches Thursday (@midnight pacific time) on EC that you WILL NOT want to miss.

It's our first ever preview card show, for a new card from Aether Revolt. So look out for it!

Super excited, will be in attendance!

However, I gotta make one gripe. Two, technically. These are super serious and outcome-determinative, so pay attention!

It's "EM-rah-kul" not "em-RAH-kul"
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4uyl69/how_do_you_pronounce_emrakul/

It's "ah-MAHL-gham" not "AM-AL-gam"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdrvOrKj6cc

It was like fingernails on the chalkboard for me, but it was funny when Kevin politely tried to correct you by using the word in his own sentences. πŸ™‚

last edited by MaximumCDawg

Just to point out that Eldrazi Temple is not a 2016 card but a 2010 card ( Rise of the Eldrazi)

Sorry for the double post, but I'm just listening to this now πŸ™‚

Just wanted to make a case for the Eldrazi Tribal as deck of the year. It has a great story. It was actually a Modern deck originally, that slowly migrated to Legacy and then was ported by Jaco to Vintage. It's VERY rare that a Modern deck becomes a new deck in Vintage. I mean, there are cards that are played, maybe interactions, but a whole deck? Modern lists are very very close to Vintage lists. Legacy Eldrazi lists are almost the same. When was the last time that happened?
Also, this was the first budget deck I remember in a good while that was able to make top results. It even makes Dredge seem powered since Bazaar of Baghdad spiked. It's just mind boggling.

Loved the podcast once again, just wanted to throw this here hehe. I know you guys actually talked about it briefly during the cast though.

Just listened to this the other day and I agree with @CHA1N5 on him not being sure if Emrakul is actually correct in landstill. I find it to be insanely slow, boarded out in more matchups than I'd like, and honestly ONLY good in a late game grind vs blue. But at that point there are other better options that came down a bunch of turns earlier that already started winning me the game. I'll go on the record and say I only think he's OK in landstill. Feels wrong more often than not 🀘

last edited by tattoocek
    Views