[AER] Mechanized Production

• alt text

Alright, so I know the casting cost is wonky for a shops deck. UU2 is not easy to achieve with 9 spheres, but this can be built around with a little but of ingenuity and a mox opal or three.

You also have to have an upkeep for this to do anything, but in shops decks upkeeps are generally easy to achieve if your deck does what it’s supposed to do.

What I find exciting here is that this is a “free” Sphere of Resistance a turn after the investment. It could be a Tangle Wire, a Thorn of Amethyst, if you’re lucky, maybe a Lodestone Golem.

It’s a built in win condition. Can you shops kids imagine slapping this on a Sphere when you have control of the game? Nobody gets out until you win the game.

It could also help one come from behind if they are only able to stick a single relevant Arti-threat.

Of course, this is all presumable spitballing, but I’d love to at least attempt to start a discussion.

Happy First Tuesday

• My first though was ravager and hangerback.

• Do generic tokens have names? Some have names like "Ashaya, the Awoken World" on Nissa, Vastwood Seer.

• @gkraigher said in [AER] Mechanized Production:

Do generic tokens have names? Some have names like "Ashaya, the Awoken World" on Nissa, Vastwood Seer.

110.5c A spell or ability that creates a token sets both its name and its subtype. If the spell or ability doesn’t specify the name of the token, its name is the same as its subtype(s). A “Goblin Scout creature token,” for example, is named “Goblin Scout” and has the creature subtypes Goblin and Scout. Once a token is on the battlefield, changing its name doesn’t change its subtype, and vice versa.

• @benjamin_berry: I like your line of thinking. 8 Thopters should be achievable, given enough time.

• Playing it in shops is a great idea! Actually duplicating prison elements that will buy you to the time you need for the alternate win.....fiendish!

I wonder if it might also find a home in a control slaver build. Pop it on a Darksteel Citadel for safety. Or a Myr Battlesphere and win next upkeep. Or include the new Daretti which makes tokens every turn. Obviously, the archetype has other problems, but it would seem a not unreasonable consideration.

• At 4 non workshop mana this is a turn 3 play. That means, if your going the sphere route, if you can cast this your opponent can cast stuff too. Thorn decks don't whin against 3 open mana.

• How do workshops cast 2UU enchantment spell?

• @benjamin_berry: Yeah, I have no idea where or how this lives yet, if anywhere. This would absolutely have to be built into a deck not relying on all of the spheres. Sometimes, the vintage-unplayables of yesterday eventually find excellent use. (Ichorid, for instance, was not a vintage-playable card until the dredge mechanic was printed). So now may not be the time for this to shine. I figured this thang was notable enough to point out for the alt-win and given synergies.

@Saya: 5-Color lands and mox opals is where I would start.

• Another drawback from this is also the 2-for-1 scenario where the target gets hosed before the action happens.

I'm going to throw a decklist together and reach out to some local peeps to play some games. I don't play online, so it may be a few days before anything works out. I'll report back regardless of whether or not the results are fruitful.

• Here's the list I'll be testing next week:

4 Mishra’s Workshop
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Tolarian Academy
    2 Seat of the Synod
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Sapphire
    3 Mox Opal

3 Mechanized Production
    4 Stasis
    1 Tinker
    1 Ancestral Recall
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Smokestack
    3 Hangarback Walker
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Trinisphere

Stasis is something I thought of at the last second as another way to freeze the game while production does its thing. Mechanized Production enchanting a Mox Opal or Seat of the Synod is a sneaky way to keep Stasis going forevers, or until enough upkeeps have gone by.

• @BillCopes said in [AER] Mechanized Production:

Here's the list I'll be testing next week:

4 Mishra’s Workshop
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Tolarian Academy
    2 Seat of the Synod
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Sapphire
    3 Mox Opal

3 Mechanized Production
    4 Stasis
    1 Tinker
    1 Ancestral Recall
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Smokestack
    3 Hangarback Walker
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Trinisphere

Stasis is something I thought of at the last second as another way to freeze the game while production does its thing. Mechanized Production enchanting a Mox Opal or Seat of the Synod is a sneaky way to keep Stasis going forevers, or until enough upkeeps have gone by.

Mox Opal is legendary. Probably not what you want to target with this enchantment.

• @Khahan Yep. As stated, that would be done in the case where you want to keep a stasis going. In light of that, I'm going to go heavier on the Seats -- up to 4 if I can find the room. Thank you for the input!

• I doubt this card will produce any reasonable tournament results.

• @BillCopes you cannot copy mox opal as you will have to choose the one just created, meaning you will have to sac the one with the enchantment ;)

• I think that list NEEDS Expedition map. Tolarian seems the best option to safely play Mechanized Prodution, and crucible wants strip mine asap.

• @CwaM Thank you for the explanation -- I totally missed that.
    @xouman Map is a wonderful idea. I'm guess I should also get Tabernacle in there, as well.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.