[AER] Baral, Chief of Compliance

• If it makes anyone feel better, he is basically anti-Thalia. He removes her effect, gives you another, and beats her in combat.

• @Water0 said in [AER] Baral, Chief of Compliance:

If it makes anyone feel better, he is basically anti-Thalia. He removes her effect, gives you another, and beats her in combat.

I think this is exactly it. Printing hate cards against hate cards. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

• @MaximumCDawg "hate cards against hate cards" - so, 'love cards'? :)

It's what the world needs in 2017!

• Ancillary Chalice of the Void combo as well.

• Is this really any help against spheres? It's legendary so they just play another sphere. And it doesn't help you cast moxen through spheres either.

As for Thalia they just wait till they get jitte or swords or large eldrazi.

• It has proactive benefit as well.

Reduces the cost of Tinker, DDT, TC, Timewalk, Wheels, hard casted force of will, yawgs will, dismember (makes it free), ancient grudge. All relevant cards, all can literally be in the same deck, and its discard ability helps you power them up or pay for some of them to be cast in even easier fashion. It does a whole lot of stuff for a properly tuned list basically just short of being a wincon itself.

• @benjamin_berry it will not be impacted by Thorn of amethyst and anihiliates this thorn effect. This is huge. It's legendary so what? if you counter something you can get ride of another copy. You probably won't be playing 4 of this guy.
    Reducing 1 sphere effect is HUGE! Many games are 1 mana close. By playing this you get "1 extra mana" which is totally awesome. As a cool side effect, it blocks phryexian revoker pretty well...

• So has anyone tried this card yet? I've done some brief fooling around with it in a control-ish Mentor list. I would say that the loot has probably been better than the cost reduction so far for me (mainly because the reduction affects so few things), but can't really say my list is built to benefit too much from the cost reduction either. I'll try tweaking a bit more and see if there's a solid build to be found.

• @kistrand jam in this guy in a deck with 4 ak some intuitions gift ungiven package a couple of circular logics tinker and why not squee plus bazaar. It's fun. Not good enough to compete with the tiers but isn't terrible neither.

• Been running this guy in a control-ish Mentor shell in the tournament practice room on MODO to rather good success (meaning at least slightly more wins than losses). Posting the decklist here for tips from more experienced players. Initially the list was more "passive" than "active" but it has gradually moved into a hybrid between aggro and control. Baral has been good, sometimes great. The cost reduction is good when "going off" with demonic tutor (cc =1 with Baral) or Tinker (cc = 2) or Yawgmoth's will (cc = 2). Looting is nice during normal turns but one needs to be careful to not loot without thinking through if you want to risk losing good cards in hand. Baral is obviously great against Thorn-effects, that's where he really shines. But anyways, on to the decklist:

Baral-Mentor:

Main:
    3 Baral, Chief of Compliance
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Monastery Mentor
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Mana Drain
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Tinker
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Time Walk
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Library of Alexandria
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Gush
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Island
    3 Preordain
    1 Mindbreak Trap

1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Containment Priest
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Stony Silence
    2 Fragmentize
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Spell Pierce

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.