[AER] Treasure Keeper

• alt text

I know Shops normally doesn't care for value, but this seems like a pretty solid dude in a world without Lodestone Golem. Also works well with Smokestack.

• Close ... wish it could trade with TKS. It's a Construct at least. Dies is pretty bad in a world of 4 x STP, 2 x Path in board as well.

• TMD Supporter

That's good with Welder. Might be decent in TNT in the SuChi / Solemn Simulacrum slot.

• @desolutionist

It's decent with welder. Not good in workshops list.

Keep the constructs coming.....cmon big bucks.....please give me a mythic!

• TMD Supporter

@gkraigher said in [AER] Treasure Keeper:

@desolutionist

It's decent with welder. Not good in workshops list.

Keep the constructs coming.....cmon big bucks.....please give me a mythic!

I agree. Not special for a standard Shops list, but I could see this replacing Solemm Simulacrum in a lot of lists that would play a Solemn Simulacrum.

• Biggest issue is dying while tapped out with Sphere's in play and potentially not being able to cast the free spell.

If it was a Thorn based deck, that would lower the risk, but the value could be drastically reduced.

Edit: Just realized that this is a very slow Blood Braid Elf.

• @spook

It's not bloodbraid elf because it has to die. Bloodbraid gives you an immediate free card.

• Vintage is definitely in the market for truly playable but not horrifically busted (i.e. value) 2-for-1s. This could have been such a unicorn, except I'm not sure 3/3 for 4 colorless is a great enough rate. And because the value of the back half is so tied to how motivated the enemy is to kill the front half, this ends up being maybe not even being that much of a card.

• The fact that all of the Shops decks will probably be playing Neo Trike as a four-of will not do much to make this guy see play. And I really do expect that Mr Ballista will be a four-of in Ravager Shops.

• Does Welder say anything about Dies on it? Pretty sure this guys has zero benefit when Weldering it in and out of the yard.

• @enderfall said in [AER] Treasure Keeper:

Does Welder say anything about Dies on it? Pretty sure this guys has zero benefit when Weldering it in and out of the yard.

Rule 700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”

• @spook thanks, I stand corrected, though I thought it was a game zone exchange-something-or-other and not something as simple as the definition of dying.

• @enderfall said in [AER] Treasure Keeper:

Does Welder say anything about Dies on it? Pretty sure this guys has zero benefit when Weldering it in and out of the yard.

The oracle text for Goblin Welder also uses the word "Sacrifice" - welding this creature in and out will trigger it. Whether that is something you want to be doing in Vintage is a different matter entirely.

• I'm really, REALLY getting the vibe that design around this set went like this:

Designer 1: You know how players like spells and effects that just put things into play? Like, from the graveyard, library, or battlefield?

Designer 2: Sure, they're interesting combo pieces and players like them. But, we can't print them. When you get something for free, the result has ALWAYS been bad. Phyrexian Mana, Show and Tell, whatever.

Designer 1: Okay, but what if we did this.... what if we put a limitation on the converted mana cost of what you're cheating? That way, we can control exactly how broken the cards can be.

Designer 2: Huh. That's a very elegant solution to the problem. Let's design a whole set around getting stuff for free, but with that limitation.

Designer 1: And we can call it, "Urza's Block Continues: The Return of Tinker"

Designer 2: Well, maybe not THAT.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.