1 Flusterstorm
    1 Forest
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Illness in the Ranks
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Nature's Claim
    1 Notion Thief
    1 Pithing Needle

I've been playing magic for over 20 years but only started playing vintage about a year ago thanks to magic online. I got pretty lucky and opened 5 pieces of power in the 40 or so vintage masters drafts I did. Eventually I decided to sell my mediocre online collection to build a vintage deck. I started off playing a gush tendrils deck and now have moved on to playing this bug control deck. I've been having great results in daily events and managed to top 8 the one power nine challenge I could play in. I was wondering what everyone here thinks about this deck. Why do I seem to be the only player running it? Are there any cards I haven't thought of that would be great? Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• I've run into @ChubbyRain playing this deck in the MTGO queues previously:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/379805#online

• My version was inspired by Glick who crushed me on route to his top 8 appearance. I prefer JVP (3-4X) over JTMS in Shops heavy metagames as the looting helps you hit land drops and recasting Nature's Claim is very strong in that matchup...I think I killed one Shops player at 36 life because Blightsteel doesn't care. JVP also works well with Thoughtseize. However, if Oath and nonGush Blue pick up, I would go back to JTMS.

Thank you for posting your list, Glick, and congrats on the success you've been having with it.

• I ran into this list tonight. Well put together and seemingly always had the answer. I was on a tempo mentor build. I was glad to chat with glick a bit and he pointed me here as I wanted to see the list and have been tinkering with bug control for some time. I like it a whole lot.

• I played against him in the daily last night as well. The deck seemed pretty sweet, and not just because I have a soft spot for bug anything. I managed to storm him out, but I took some risky lines and just got lucky. I'd definitely consider trying out this list if you're looking for something new to mess around with.

• Administrators

When I first saw these lists I didn't like them very much, but they've been successful enough that I'm very intrigued.

Can you sell me on Sylvan Library? It's a card I've never really liked, but a handful of people have done very well with it. How many cards do you usually draw with it? How did you decide on running 1 (as opposed to 0 or 2)? When do you want to see it, and when do you not want to see it?

• I'm also curious about how effective Library is in this deck. Most often I'd seen it in Mentor lists where they have some sort of lifegain to let you really abuse drawing extra cards. I know they function differently but could an SDT be equally/more effective in this type of list?

• TMD Supporter

I actually liked the look of it quite a bit and started playing some similar builds for a while. I just always end up going back to Oath instead.

A lot of the core of the deck is the same as the Grixis Control decks, but obviously with the good Green cards instead of Red. It seems pretty cool. My guess is that people usually choose to go with Grixis for Dack Fayden, which is admittedly a very good 'Walker.

I think I have all these cards so I might try playing this for better input. My deck added white for Dromoka and the lifelink to raw more cards with Sylvan./
    '

• TMD Supporter

One often overlooked thing about Sylvan Library is that you can sometimes use the ability to draw more cards and make your Library of Alexandria active again. At that point you only ever need to pay the four life if you are forced to burn through three cards in one turn.

I remember having Sylvan and Library of Alexandria going once against @footemanchu and it was brutal.
    Also with nature's claim you can sometimes kill off a useless mana crypt and draw an extra card. Sylvan is pretty great. Doesn't get misstepped of shut off by Null Rod.

• I saw Sylvan Library in one of Rich Shay's decks from a while ago and gave it a try. I haven't been impressed so far but I've only played about 4 events with it. Most of the time it is too slow. Sometimes I can't afford the life. When I get an extra 3 cards out of it it's incredible but that doesn't seem to happen all that often.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.