Paradoxical Storm (Keep or Mulligan)

• I mulligan that hand all day. You're banking on your Preordain getting you gasoline, but that doesn't quite work that way.

• TMD Supporter

Here are three new hands (per request of Joe to have actual photos). What I would like to discuss, because I think it could be interesting, is depending on the match up (see above) or unknown opponent, if you are on the play/draw, how would you start off or would you mulligan?

Hand 1:
    Underground Sea
    Volcanic Island
    Demonic Tutor
    Ancestral Recall
    Preordain
    Timetwister
    Tinker
    2_1484594906890_IMG_1704.JPG

Hand 2:
    Mox Opal
    Chrome Mox
    Gitaxian Probe
    Paradoxical Outcome
    Mox Opal
    Senseei's Divining Top
    Grim Monolith
    1_1484594906890_IMG_1703.JPG

Hand 3:
    Tinker
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Gitaxian Probe
    Mox Ruby
    Force of Will
    Mox Opal
    Defense Grid (I realize you wouldn't have this in game 2 against a Shops Deck).
    0_1484594906890_IMG_1702.JPG

• @mdkubiak Hands 1 and 3 look like easy keeps no matter the situation, and I could be talked to keeping Hand 2 in a Game 1 situation vs. a non-blue deck (where I wouldn't likely see Null Rod effects), but otherwise I would probably ship it back. Hand 3 has plans vs. Rod or Force, and the deck has a high number of low-casting bombs. It's not a high percentage among the ideal hands, but it seems better than a random six draw.

• 'Regardless the situation' seems a little agressive. I've only looked at hand 1 in some detail (Silly work keeping me busy) but Hand 1 is a mulligan against known Dredge, known Workshops on the draw, and maybe even known Workshops on the play.

• my favorite hand by a MILE at first glance is Hand 3. You have Gitaxian Probe to either hit another 0cc Artifact or a land, and also to know if they have misstep (becuase they misstep the top but don't ever force it), and you have turn 2 Defense Grid with Force of Will backup. The Tinker is actually the least interesting card in that entire hand, too.

• @Soly said in Paradoxical Storm (Keep or Mulligan):

'Regardless the situation' seems a little agressive. I've only looked at hand 1 in some detail (Silly work keeping me busy) but Hand 1 is a mulligan against known Dredge, known Workshops on the draw, and maybe even known Workshops on the play.

I question the call against Dredge... suppose it depends if you know what variation they are on. It has been my experience that Paradoxical Storm just out-speeds dredge most games. I think that on the play vs Dredge, I am keeping hand 1 all day.

Turn 1:
    Underground->Recall
    (if resolves)
    should hit 1 or 2 artifact mana, either Twister that turn, or turn 2
    (if countered)
    pass turn

They play bazaar, pass

Turn 2:
    (Draw 0 drop mana)
    Land->rock->Tutor for Lotus->Twister
    (Draw non-0 drop mana)
    Land-Tutor for Lotus->Twister

• Hello guys, I hope it's okay that I borrow this thread as it seems like almost a good fit for my question. So I am thinking about playing Paradoxical Storm, and I noticed that a couple of the deck-lists have an Ancient Tomb in the SB. So my question is, why and against which decks is this land used?

• Ancient Tomb is mostly used against Workshop and Thalia decks.

It provides 2 mana, so it makes it easier to play your spells through taxing permanents, such as Sphere of Resistance, Thorn of Amethyst, Lodestone Golem and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.

• @toffs against shops or similar wasteland-running decks I think

• Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.