@wfain I've been testing with it. Definitely playable. It depends on the focus of your build though.

Can anyone give me advice for choosing different builds based on the expected metagame? I'd like general insight, but the particular metagame I expect is 2-3 storm, 2-3 shops, usually eldrazi, and numerous gush decks.

@5space In that meta I think I would play the basic version.
Shops and Eldrazi have landdestruction AND sideboardhate. This combination is hard to fight through with Pitch Dredge.
Pitch Dredge shines when there are a lot of blue (gush) decks, since their sideboard will be moot when you go Depths-> Marit Lage.

Storm is always difficult, since they're so fast.
With Pitch Dredge you have counters, wich can be discarded by them.
In the basic verdion tou can play Leyline (wich turns off YWill and Dark Petition) and Unmask, although the latter will likely only matter if you're on the play.

@5Space Pitch dredge with Serenity's and Pits/Rings out of the board beats all the mentioned decks.

@bips Neither of the two popular dredge decks are good against Mono White Eldrazi without a major overhaul. They have main deck hate pieces, wastelands, and a fast consistent clock. The only card I've found that does anything significant to them is Balance, and I think I'm the only dredge pilot who plays that.

@vaughnbros

Is balance good in any other matchups? I feel like firestorm should be good these days.

@bips said:

In the basic verdion tou can play Leyline (wich turns off YWill and Dark Petition) and Unmask, although the latter will likely only matter if you're on the play.

How about Leyline of Sanctity in the SB?

@gkraigher Very good against blue as they are almost always way ahead of you in terms of nearly every resource before you remove their hate (which happens to usually also be a creature now).

Its not great against shops, but it can stop the bleeding.

@5space said:

@bips said:

How about Leyline of Sanctity in the SB?

Sanctity is a pretty awful card. I don't know how many times I've tried to play it, but it never really does what you need it to do. Storm still has their Chain of Vapor, or other answer to it in their deck. Its a trap to bring it in against anything else since there is no guarantee anyone is playing tormod's crypts or ravenous traps.

Before the site went out there was a comment asking about Vengeful Pharoah. Just remember that it is not optional thus it will destroy your Bridges, and post board your opponent can optionally destroy one of their own creatures to put it on the top of your deck.

@vaughnbros

Agreed, Balance is a two mana mind twist vs blue that has other applications. I'm sleaving it up.

Thanks

Views