Vintage Leagues 'coming' to MTGO

• As someone who plays a lot of Legacy online, and wishes they could play Vintage - Leagues coming to MTGO is very attractive. I bought my power online today in preparation. It's not always convenient to join a daily, and whilst the tournament feel is nice, convenience really is king. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the battlefield!

• @Supertimland I keep reading about these leagues but don't understand them at all. How does this affect me as an Australian?

• @twerkshops In leagues you play a total of five (or is it four?) matches against random opponents BUT you can play each match whenever it suits you the best. You don't have to play all five in one evening as in the dailies. Play them over the course of a week or two if you like. Of course, you'll still need to have someone to play against when you can play.

• @kistrand Ah that's what they are. So do you get assigned a random opponent and then have to organise when you play your matches against them? What happens if you can't agree on a time?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, I scoured as many information sources as I could remember after selling out two years ago but could only find details on payouts that assumed the reader knows how they work.

• @twerkshops no, basically the "league" is just a pool of currently active players for the given format, as soon as you go to start a game, the program just selects one available random player and your match begins as soon as they click "Ready." You might have to wait a few moments, but there is no scheduling or anything.

• We haven't heard anything more on this, right?

• @H. Oh wow, that sounds ideal. I wonder if there would be enough people on it to not have to spend all evening logged in to get one game.

• @twerkshops In Europe there won't be a problem since I feel there are a lot of different people online every evening, but I am unsure about Australia of course. Sure, you might end up playing a lot of the same opponents but I still think it's a good option to facing the same opponents in Tournament practice room all the time.

• Any news about this topic?

• @kistrand I know 11 people personally at my one LGS that have vintage online, but we cannot play dailies as we all work whilst dailies are firing (11am-1pm).

I also know a fair few legacy players at mt LGS who bought into vintage during VMA but then sold out either when wizards pulled the rug out after VMA or jumped ship when legacy leagues became a thing.

So leagues would help the 2 dozen or so people from my area who just cannot do dailies. And there must be other such pockets out there, especially europe.

• My fear of having Vintage leagues is that it causes a small player base to have no focused time to meet and play. This is why Daily events (DE's) are needed.
    I have seen the repercussions of a similar ideal with increasing the amount of DE's throughout the week. What ended up happening was that none of the events fired as it was more unfocused.
    Now, not to say Vintage leagues couldn't succeed. Having leagues will attract a lot of new players and current people that cannot commit to a DE or are intimidated to play in one will be inclined to try a League.
    It will be interesting to see, but history is relevant here and I suspect Vintage leagues will not be successful.

• TMD Supporter

If Leagues are instituted for Vintage, will all of the DEs be taken away?

• @Smmenen Almost certainly. They were for everything else when leagues arrived.

• @The-Atog-Lord Hmm, well then it becomes tricky for sure whether this is a good thing or not. I was under the assumption that the DE's would remain even though leagues arrive. For myself it is by far easier to play a league than a Daily in the middle of the night, but for the general Vintage community this might even end up backfiring.

• The entire point of adding leagues is to get rid of daily events. Daily events curtail attendance to only those that have the time (and a specific time at that) for someone to sit in front of a computer for 3-4 hours. They are inefficient.

• I'm pretty sure they'll run dailies and the league tandem for at least a month, lee sharpe stated on twitter how much monitoring it'll need. If leagues fail they'll get removed as a second option.

Something has to be tried though to accommodate more than just the 2 dozen or so regular daily players, they aren't any more important than other vintage players. If it fails at least they tried and dailies will still be an option.

What will help more is the big vintage names actually putting there support behind it and not putting it down all because there is a miniscule chance there daily might be affected for nothing. Getting the legacy players who use to play online vintage, and the online vintage players who stalk the tourny practice room but can't play dailies hyped and actually give this a chance.

• @Montolio Have you not thought that maybe the vintage playerbase is so small because it's either invest in a 700tix deck just for free play, or play in dailies where the time slot is unreasonable for a lot of the non-USA playerbase? That is what online vintage is currenly and something needs to be tried at least.

We should be working towards bringing back those who migrated to legacy for leagues. And getting the main hub of online vintage players into competitive play.

• @Supertimland said in Vintage Leagues 'coming' to MTGO:

@Montolio Have you not thought that maybe the vintage playerbase is so small because it's either invest in a 700tix deck just for free play, or play in dailies where the time slot is unreasonable for a lot of the non-USA playerbase? That is what online vintage is currenly and something needs to be tried at least.

We should be working towards bringing back those who migrated to legacy for leagues. And getting the main hub of online vintage players into competitive play.

Agree.

• In addition to expanding access to the rest of the planet, Leagues might also help save MTGO Vintage from the hopelessly inbred and narcissistic meta it has become.

Who cares about preserving dailies? A 12 player event on a digital platform is pathetic, hardly worth saving at all. There's nothing to lose here.

• @Supertimland said in Vintage Leagues 'coming' to MTGO:

@kistrand I know 11 people personally at my one LGS that have vintage online, but we cannot play dailies as we all work whilst dailies are firing (11am-1pm).

This is me with the added spice of working during the monthly events. I haven't played a match of online vintage in months now :/

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.