Top 8 January 2017 Power 9 Challenge Stream Recording (Spoilers Inside)

• https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118100708

This is my run with an oRS original brew taking me straight to the top 8 in undefeated 6-0 style. I really enjoyed playing the deck even though by the end of this tournament I had been awake for almost 2 days straight which likely contributed to the punts in the top 8 that ended up costing me real prizing. The again considering this was my second P9 Challenge top 8 and it was with a deck I had made myself (the first being with Doomsday) I was very pleased despite the punts. Besides, we play Vintage for the fun and bragging rights not the mediocre prize support. :D

Spell Queller Control

4 Spell Queller
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

4 Mana Drain
    1 Disenchant
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Ponder
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Dig Through Time
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Force of Will
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Time Walk

1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Plains
    4 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Library of Alexandria
    2 Island
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Strip Mine

3 Rest in Peace
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Path to Exile
    2 Fragmentize

Sorry that the formatting isn't great I just pasted the magic online file and cleaned it up a bit so it wasn't just a wall of text. In the tournament I ran Minbreak Trap instead of Disenchant main, and 1 Disenchant instead of 1 Rest in Peace sideboard. The Mindbreak Trap wasn't really drawn and wouldn't have been good most of the time anyways and I think having another removal spell/answer to Chalice@1 is important.

This deck was designed to feast on Thorn decks and be favored against any deck trying to play the long game. Despite the lack of a conventional draw engine the creatures all provide at least a 2 for 1 which leads to snowballed incremental advantage. If there is interest in me doing a more in-depth write-up on the deck I'm willing to do so. Hopefully my run in this tournament proves that Vintage isn't some stale format and with the right meta-game predictions you can have great success, even if you want to beat down with 1 and 2 power non-artifact creatures!

• thx for the link! It was good to see, and there were some very nice lines of play.
    I like the deck a lot. It seems the shop decks were not at their best against you (few workshop involved lol and tons of ancient tombs) and I would tweak that sideboard as indeed, you are low vs dredge (i personnally don't like 2 mana hate that much.

• Jesus christ; 4 Plowshares and 4 Path to Exile board. Holy hell removal.

I'm guessing you don't board in the Paths against Mentor, but for shops and eldrazi?

• @Soly indeed, he boarded those against shop & eldrazi
    as far as i can remember vs shop&eldrazi
    out: 2 spell piece/ 4 misstep/1 trap
    in: 4 Pte/2 fragmentize/1 disenchant

• @CwaM said in Top 8 January 2017 Power 9 Challenge Stream Recording (Spoilers Inside):

@Soly indeed, he boarded those against shop & eldrazi
    as far as i can remember vs shop&eldrazi
    out: 2 spell piece/ 4 misstep/1 trap
    in: 4 Pte/2 fragmentize/1 disenchant

That is correct. I also ran the 4plow/4path setup in my standstill deck and liked it a lot.

• Very fun and interesting to watch, thanks for sharing. I love that style of deck and am now following your steam.

Definitely could notice the loopyness getting to you in round 6 and the last match.

• TMD Supporter

You're braver than I am to play on that little of sleep. I can't stand playing the 10PM time slot DE, can't imagine being that tired and trying to enjoy myself. Good for you.

• Yeah, unfortunately my sleeping has been messed up lately where I'm having long periods of being awake followed by long periods of sleep. Still, that is an improvement from just long periods of sleep when my depression is in full force so yay to me. XD

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.