Asset Appraisal for Divorce

• @joshuabrooks thanks for the thoughts. I'm not emotional about it beyond anything else in the divorce...everything comes down to our child and we know this is noise. If I have to estate sale the collection so be it, it's just money but I don't think that will happen unless we end up with someone really dumb. There will be one mutually agreed upon appraiser, her side just wants to make sure they do what they're supposed to and aren't collaborating with me I'm sure, my side just wants to make sure it's not some damn idiot using tcgmid for a beat to shit lotus and stuff like that.

• The only thing that pisses me off about the mtg is that it's a social outlet I've been out of for a while and should get back into...but f the collection I don't need it for that

• @bactgudz The insurance may help establish a date of purchase or time frame of ownership at least. How long was the marriage? Did she contribute to the cards in any way? Was there any misconduct on your part? It seems like, from what Ive read, that if you havent been married a long time, she contributed nothing to the cards and you werent cheating abusive etc. that you have a good shot at getting the cards.

@joshuabrooks makes a good point that the meter is running, but theres surely some minimum level of fighting that is economically viable

• @rikter no it is an 11 year marriage. During that time there was about 4.5 years of magic playing with an amount of spending that can be quantified. And a significant amount of appreciation and trading...so it's a non trivial problem. Some of it is trivial-ish like if I had a beta sea and kept it and it appreciated x$ over 11 years is this mine? What if I started the marriage with a set of FBB tundras and traded them for a beta ruby that's now worth y$....there are a lot of non trivial arguments to be made

• And when emotions are involved around custody of the kid, the Meter just runs...rationality is out the window. I mean look you've got a potential variable here that easily has some idiots pulling a number out of there ass close to half a mil and others short changing you at 40k. So even though there are some wicked high priced law firms involved they can spend a few tens of hours on this. I just hope they can agree soon. I thought maybe danial Chang did appraisals but I'm not so sure how I feel about him...never really dealt with him.

• TMD Supporter

Well kudos to you for appearing to be honest about the contents. I think most guys would have made a midnight backpack delivery at their friends house.

"What black lotus? That was a lotus petal."

• @joshuabrooks said in Asset Appraisal for Divorce:

Well kudos to you for appearing to be honest about the contents. I think most guys would have made a midnight backpack delivery at their friends house.

"What black lotus? That was a lotus petal."

I kept thinking 'nono, it was a blacker lotus'.

Sorry to hear this, I've just seen a beautiful record collection of 30 years torn apart. Good luck.

• This is an old topic but I'm curious how it turned out? I have a golden age comic collection worth a nice chunk of change, in addition to my Magic cards, all of which my wife has the least bit interest knowing about, either the game itself or values.

I do have a Collect Insure policy on my comics, but didnt know they covered Magic.

If anything, I'm more worried if I would pass away or something (im only 37 but you never know), and she wouldn't know what to do about it. Maybe an appraisal with instructions on where/how to sell them is something I should look into....

• TMD Supporter

@Loukayza said in Asset Appraisal for Divorce:

This is an old topic but I'm curious how it turned out? I have a golden age comic collection worth a nice chunk of change, in addition to my Magic cards, all of which my wife has the least bit interest knowing about, either the game itself or values.

I do have a Collect Insure policy on my comics, but didnt know they covered Magic.

If anything, I'm more worried if I would pass away or something (im only 37 but you never know), and she wouldn't know what to do about it. Maybe an appraisal with instructions on where/how to sell them is something I should look into....

Yeah, it was a laborious process, but I finally put together a spreadsheet of all my collectible assets, printed it out, showed it to my wife and explicitly told her "this is an approximate worth of each card/comic, so don't sell for significantly less. Enlist my brother to help you."

I try to update it on occasion and print out. It would devastate me if she took my entire collection into some random comic shop or CCG store and got totally screwed over.

Selling off a Magic/Comic collection item by item is probably on par with the 8th level of hell, but I want to at least make sure she has a benchmark to base off of so at that point she can decide what the convenience premium is worth to her.

• Still going on, pain in the butt that I still can't actually play cards. Both my wife and I obtained different 'experts' for appraisals. Most retailers will offer to do an appraisal but for a large Vintage collection you may want to be sure to have someone truly qualified, not just the local MTG shop. I was sure to pick someone I knew had a great reputation and qualifications but I had no personal history with. It's not a fun process and a bit idiotic to be honest; very easy for one side to devolve into trying to pay $x in legal fees to gain $x/2 from the other.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.