TMD OPEN 18- APRIL 22, 2017- Oakville, CT(Official Thread)

• Preamble: Before getting into the official announcement, please allow me to ask two quick things of you that will help make this event incredibly fun and memorable for everyone.

1.) A fairly good estimate of attendance will ensure things like: enough pizza ordered, seating that is neither too little, nor too cramped, additional prize support as warranted, etc. Therefore, can I please, please ask that if you plan on attending let me know either via pm, posting in this thread, emailing me at iamfishman2000@hotmail.com, texting me at 860-605-3730, messaging me on facebook, choosing “attending” in the facebook event(coming soon), sending a carrier pigeon, etc. It is not a binding agreement, but it only takes a second and it will help me get a feel for attendance.

2.) Could I ask those of you who already know what an experience I try to make for each of my events tell others about this so that we can have a great turnout. With the infrequency of my events the last few years, there is a whole new generation of Vintage players who don't know about the TMD Open experience.

In return, I will promise to plan plenty into this event that will leave everyone with some lasting memory above and beyond the vintage they play. So without further ado…

What: TMD OPEN 18 (Quest for the Crown!)
    alt text

Where: Oakville VFW
    85 Davis St
    Oakville, CT 06779
    860-605-3730
    (This place is literally 0.25 miles from the Waterbury town line, so you can still call it a Waterbury tournament)

When: April 22, 2017
    Doors open at 10:00 am
    Registration is 10:00 am - 11:00 am
    Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 11:00 am (To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers may be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Cost: $50 Entry Fee
    (Entry fee must be paid in cash. Because I don't work for a store, I don't have a credit card machine. I apologize in advance for the inconvenience)

Format: Type One with FIFTEEN proxies with a cut to top 8.

Prizes: (Above and beyond the hundreds of dollars in prizes for all the side events) I will be using a “based on participants” prize scale for the main event prizes.

Prize Support based on 120 Participants
    1st Prize –$1600 in cash + Free Entry at TMD Open 19 + an official TMD OPEN 19 Playmat + an official TMD Open 18 Playmat
    2nd Prize –$800 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    3rd-4th Prize –$400 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    5th-8th Prize –$200 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    9th-16th prize –$100 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    17th prize - 17th prize - An official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    18th-32 prize – Pack of Eternal Masters

Prize Support based on 100 Participants
    1st Prize –$1200 in cash + Free Entry at TMD Open 19 + an official TMD OPEN 19 Playmat + an official TMD Open 18 Playmat
    2nd Prize –$600 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    3rd-4th Prize –$300 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    5th-8th Prize –$150 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    9th-16th prize –$75 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    17th prize - An official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat

Prize Support based on 80 Participants
    1st Prize –$900 in cash + Free Entry at TMD Open 19 + an official TMD OPEN 19 Playmat + an official TMD Open 18 Playmat
    2nd Prize –$450 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    3rd-4th Prize –$225 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    5th-8th Prize –$115 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    9th-16th prize –$55 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat
    17th prize - An official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat

Quest for the Crown Events:
    The theme of the last TMD open was “Clues” (like those from Shadows of Innistrad). This TMD OPEN’s theme is “Quest for the Crown!” Here is what that entails:

The Royal Court: Gone are the days of a simple one match feature match. In this event there will be a royal table appropriately adorned to look royal! 5 featured matches will be on display each round(with the hopes of being able to stream the main one this time around). In these 5 spots will be:

Seat 3(Center of Table): Starting with current TWO TIME reigning champ Will Magrann, if Will keeps winning, he will always have a spot at this seat of the table. But, whoever beats Will will become the new King of the Hill and defend that seat of the table every round until they lose. And how will everyone know that you are the King of the Hill? Easy, of course…you will get to wear this sweet King’s Crown letting everyone know you are the one on top!
    alt text

Seat 2 and Seat 4(Left and Right of King of the Hill): These seats are reserved for the teammates in the team competition of the current King of the Hill or two appointed players of their choosing. These are the Royal Guard of the King of the Hill.

Seat 1(Jester of the Hill): This seat is reserved for the lowest ranked player in the tournament(or chosen randomly/based on wacky deck ideas in the event of a tie like in the first few rounds).

Seat 5(Royal Knight of the Hill): This seat is for a staff/player-selected match each round in a fashion similar to normal feature matches.

The Search for a New Monarch: Each player at the start of the event will be given some number of these Monarch tokens from Conspiracy:
    These are to be used to “pay it forward.” Their intent is to produce a good-natured tournament for everyone and let the people choose a well-deserved, noble, selfless, for-the-people monarch. They are to be given out during the event to players for a number of reasons such as:
    Engaging someone in an interesting conversation about vintage.
    Returning something to someone that was left behind.
    Being a good sport in a match.
    Offering some helpful advice to someone on their deck.
    Participating in a fair trade of cards.
    Buying a snack or drink for someone.
    Etc.

At the end of the day, the players with the most Monarch tokens will receive some prizes TBD in appreciation of the positive environment they created throughout the day.
    (We would ask for the integrity of this giveaway that the players don’t just give them to someone for no reason and that no soliciting of Monarch tokens take place)

Blessings from the King(Get rewarded for losing!): Every match, every round, the loser will receive a secret treasure (A sleeve with a secret magic card in it). Approximately 5% of all sleeves will have a cool prize in it. The prizes are cool foils and foreign vintage playables! The remaining sleeves will have Monarch tokens for use in our “Search for a new Monarch” contest described above.

Quest for Greatness Leaderboard: Throughout the day, there will be a displayed leaderboard showing the current front runner for a number of different achievements such as:
    Highest life total obtained (not using an infinite combo):
    Highest Storm Count:
    Most Bridge from Below created zombies in play at once:
    Largest Arcbound Ravager:
    Most 2 mana creatures in play at once:
    Most cards in hand at any one point:
    Most land in play at any one point:
    At the end of a round, feel free to report to me if you have topped any of the following leaders in any of the categories to replace them on the leaderboard. At the end of the day, the winner in any category will win a sweet prize. These prizes will be done on the honor system. It works in golf tournaments and we are way better people than those silly looking pants wearing country club rich old farts.

Other Competitions:

Free Side Event: At the end of round 3 we will be taking signups for a FREE tournament for an Italian Legends Mana Drain. The second place prize is to be determined. This free tournament will be single elimination.

Card Throwing Competition: Grab a land card, write your name on it, and flick it across the room. Farthest flung card wins a TMD OPEN 19 playmat. It is that simple! This will be held after the swiss rounds.

Team rivalry, a.k.a. Braggin Rights Supreme April 2017: Here is how its gonna go down. Teams of three will agree prior to the event to play as a team and will register (separate from a deck registration...it will be done on a different sheet of paper). Each team’s cost is $9...$3 per person. Then, at the end of the tournament, the teams with the highest combined number of match points(single elimination matches count as 3 points per match, just as in the swiss) will win.
    If enough teams enter, there may be a second place prize or more, but the number of teams entering, and thus the collected entry fees, will determine the prizes. In the event of a tie for match points, the average opponent match win percentage from the swiss rounds of the three players on each team will be computed and compared.
    After round 3 team designations will be inserted into players names, so teams may view each other team's players and match points on the pairings/standings.

FREE Magic Trivia: Some consider the most fun part of a TMD open to be Magic Trivia. This competition will test your Magic knowledge, take you down memory lane, and give you a fun-filled hour with friends. It is FREE to enter and all teams win prizes. The event starts after the Swiss rounds.

Other Information:
    Proxies: (Borrowing from Nick Detwiler’s guidelines)
    Most everyone on these forums knows what a proxy is. A proxy, for the TMD Open 18, will be defined as the following:

A Magic the Gathering card with the full name, card type (instant, sorcery, land, artifact, creature, enchantment, planeswalker), full mana cost and text clearly displayed. This can be done in one of two ways:

1. Using a Sharpie, not pen or pencil, to fill in the required text on a card where it can clearly be read. (Revised lands are excellent for this, new commons and uncommons aren't usually, as they're darker, and far tougher to read.)
    2. Using acetone to remove certain text from a card that's close to the intended proxy (i.e. Lotus Bloom, with certain words removed to proxy a Black Lotus, Ancestral Visions with certain words removed to proxy an Ancestral Recall).

Take pride in your proxies! Your opponents should know (at all times) what your proxies are, because they're clearly defined. Using 15 Swamps to make your proxies is a bad idea, as it's going to create confusion. If you're proxying Moxen, please, use a Land from each appropriate color to make a proxy for that Mox (i.e., a Mox Sapphire is on an Island, a Mox Jet is on a Swamp, a Mox Pearl is on a Plains...). Beyond that, please use your best judgment when creating your proxies - we know what will, and what won't, be easily recognizable.
    Your opponents should not ever be at a disadvantage because you don't own the cards. There is nothing wrong with using proxies as you slowly pick up the cards that you need to play Vintage, but please consider your opponents while you're making them, as we're out to make this an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
    If you're worried that your proxies may not pass muster, please speak to the head judge of the event before the event starts. Leave enough time to create new proxies, if necessary.
    Using paper printouts of card faces, and gluing them to cards, is not acceptable! This alters the thickness of the cards, making the cards marked, for all intents and purposes. Please don't do this, as the judges will be instructed to consider these as marked cards, and enforce punishment according to a DCI Competitive REL event!

Snacks & Meals: We will be selling pizza slices, soda, and other snacks all day long.

Parking: (See Below)
    alt text

Questions, comments, concerns? Please share them all here.

See you on April 22nd,
    Ray

• Question 1: How would/should someone flying-distance away get to this event?

I'm guessing fly to Hartford, rent a car, then drive to Oakville/Waterburry as Google Maps gives me an 8 hours using public transit from Hartford to the event site.

Question 2: Where would you recommend staying? Google Maps shows the nearest hotel as the Courtyard in Waterburry, some 5 miles away (further reinforcing my guess that I'd need a car)

ANSWERS:
    Your best bet is probably flying into Laguradia or JFK in New York and then taking a bus of train or rental car up to Waterbury. Hartford(Bradley International Airport) is also an option, but will likely be more expensive and is roughly the same distance.

The Courtyard by Marriott is good. The Hampton Inn is a good choice too.

• Yeussssss.

• TMD Supporter

I'm going to try to make it. The last Waterbury was my first real paper Vintage event and it was more fun than I've had in ages. If I can afford the trip I assure you I'll be there!

• TMD Supporter

Count me in. I may not have won a single match last time, but it was a great time as always.

Looks like my usual ride will not be able to make this one. If anyone is going past Londonderry, NH and wants to add another to the car let me know. Otherwise it looks like prerelease for me.

• I'm going to try my best to make it!

EDIT: Yo this shit's on Earth Day!

• Information and contests can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/996053203846478/

• Since this is on Amonkhet prerelease weekend, curious what the policy is for those cards. Are they not legal and this format is lame duck on arrival? Can we proxy them? Can we have those proxied in addition to the normal 15?

Just asking because if this was held on Aether Revolt prerelease weekend but we couldn't play Ballista/Push it would feel pretty silly.

• Are collector's edition cards acceptable as proxies?

• Allowing Amonkhet cards sure would make this a lot more exciting.

• @MikeTheProf said in TMD OPEN 18- APRIL 22, 2017- Oakville, CT(Official Thread):

Are collector's edition cards acceptable as proxies?

Hey Mike,
    Head Judge CJ Stambaugh posted this prior to the last event.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1277679352257429/permalink/1316686608356703/

I think the key text is "1) I do not care what the front or back of the card looks like, so long as it is indistinguishable from a traditional magic card in regards to size and material, specifically when it is sleeved. This includes things like CE cards that have been clipped and TCG player proxy cards."

So, I believe he only allowed CE cards that were clipped to have the same rounded corners as regular cards. That said, I don't want to speak for him, so feel free to contact him on facebook for a more direct answer.

• @iamfishman I'll do that, thanks for the reply!

• Attendance will be capped at 140 and there are 40 spots left. If you plan on attending, please let me know to reserve a spot.

Thanks,
    Ray

• In the facebook poll there was a clear message sent. The consensus is "no" to Amonkhet cards so they will not be legal.

• Roughly 10 spots left!!! We have to cap this event at 140, so if you are not yet on the prereg list, please let me know asap. We are hoping to not have to turn anyone away at the door.

1.) Will Magrann
    2.) Colin Watson
    3.) Brian Matthew
    4.) Dan Proulx
    5.) Keith Grim
    6.) Matthew Moss
    7.) Samantha Dayton
    8.) William Dayton
    9.) Akash Naidu
    10.) Micah Beren Greenbaum
    11.) Dan Sollazzo
    12.) Sullivan Brophy
    13.) Kyle Joseph Lenox
    14.) David Kaplan
    15.) Rion Marmulstein
    16.) Peter Craft
    17.) Pete Mangus
    18.) Will Fischer
    19.) Stefan Ellsworth
    20.) Brett Allan
    21.) Trevor Hayden
    22.) Jeremy Tibbetts
    23.) Travis Compton
    24.) Brett Spinelli
    25.) Charles Rolko
    26.) Anthony Scalzo
    27.) Daniel Gacioch
    28.) Fam Doo
    29.) Bernie Parisi
    30.) Kevin An
    31.) Neil MacDonald
    32.) Hank Zhong
    33.) Sean Higgins
    34.) Riva Arecol
    35.) Rich Meyst
    36.) Rich Shay
    37.) Brian Kelly
    38.) Andrew Walker
    39.) Joseph Spicola
    40.) Taylor Pratt
    41.) Andrew Probasco
    42.) Timothy Moran
    43.) Tim Candee
    44.) Mike Egan
    45.) David Fleishman-Rose
    46.) Hunter Prendergast
    47.) Josh Langdon
    48.) Mark O'Connell
    49.) AJ Grasso
    50.) D.j. Seco
    51.) Chris Materewicz
    52.) Greg Fenton
    53.) Roland Chang
    54.) Nick Detwiler
    55.) Charles Welsch
    56.) Kris Vander Ploeg
    57.) Dan Nelson
    58.) Justin Gennari
    59.) Michael Sorrentino
    60.) David Matthew Nunez
    61.) Shawn Chen
    62.) Dominic DiFebo
    63.) Jarad Demick
    64.) Travis Laplante
    65.) Jeff Grasso
    66.) Ryan Scacca
    67.) Jason Seaman
    68.) Nicholas DiJohn
    69.) Marc Tuttle
    70.) Ryan Glackin
    71.) Ross Merriam
    72.) Joshua Potucek
    73.) Ben Wagnon
    74.) Amir Akhundzadeh
    75.) Christopher Ferrante
    76.) Micah McOwen
    77.) Benjamin Robbins
    78.) Brian Swatkins
    79.) Joe Brennan
    80.) Joseph C Brown
    81.) John Grudzina
    82.) Daniel Miller
    83.)
    84.) Chris Danis
    85.) Ellen McManis
    86.) Jason Seaman
    87.) David A.
    88.)
    89.) Josh Lalo
    90.) Brian Rottendoogen
    91.) Shawn R. Stroke(as per Brian)
    92.) Tom Daliapes(as per Brian)
    93.) Jon Byer
    94.) Jonathan Geras
    95.) Joe Pace
    96.) Nate Thompson
    97.) Jer S Rudolph
    98.) Jer Beav
    99.) Raffaele Forino
    100.) Vincent Forino
    101.) William O'Neil
    102.) Shawn Griffiths​
    103.) Bill Sees​
    104.) Chris Hanson​
    105.) Kevin Maher​
    106.) Trent Lennon​
    107.)
    108.) Evan Pollinger​
    109.) Craig Dupre​
    110.) Evan Husney​
    111.)
    112.) Andrew Farias​
    113.) Scott Bradley​
    114.) Josh Meckes​
    115.) Clark Van Vliet​
    116.) John Longo​
    117.) Jeffrey Pyka​
    118.) Brian Jessing​
    119.) Chris Cosenza
    120.) MJ Worsham
    121.) Michael Scheffenacker
    122.) Bill Copes
    123.) James Saltsman
    124.) Mike Hritz
    125.) Tiffany Parthie
    126.) Chris Chrisman
    127.) Ryan Golueke
    128.) Jason Morawski
    129.) Ben Grenier
    130.) Zohar Bhagat
    131.) Chris Patalano
    132.) Craig Berry
    133.) Mickey Mahr
    134.) Michael Monks
    135.) Skee Monoblack
    136.) David Tirado
    137.) Michael Savage
    138.) Adam Cohen
    139.) Jesse Martin
    140.) James Seeth
    WAIT LIST
    1.)
    2.)
    3.)
    4.)
    5.)
    6.)
    7.)
    8.)
    9.)
    10.)

• Attention:
    All 140 spots have been filled for the event! If any of you wanted to go to the event but hadn't prereged you can still let me know and I will add you to the "Wait List".

For any of you on the list, if something comes up between now and April 22nd and you know you won't be able to make it, please let me know ASAP and I will move the top person on the Wait List up into your spot.

Thanks. This is going to be a fantastic event!

Ray

• Pm'd about waitlist

• This post is deleted!

• I can do better than that Micah...we have an open spot...#76. I will add your name there.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.