I am currently trying to make showdown work in a jeski xerox deck and am finding 2-3 and 2 teferi to be about the right number. The biggest issue am having is between this dreadhordes, mentor, bolts, and the nessicary artifact hate I am running into low blue card density issues. Any good ideas for counterspells that can help make up for not running FON in the shops matchup and aren't completely dead otherwise?
I actually like the idea of the format but I don't think you have any hope of getting it mainstream, you have both the new format issue and the deeply unintuitive rules problem to overcome. However if you ever run a MTGO tournament of it please post on here I would love the chance to take a swing.
I for one am deeply unexcited and uninterested and really wish they just made them once a year silver bordered sets and went really crazy with the mechanics. I don't think it will kill the game but if they keep on making FIRE level bad design choices and aggressively alienating the community with greed we may be in for a looooooooooong slow decline.
I have now played little of the deck and I am impressed with it's consistency and explosiveness. I have some thoughts.
- I really hate not having forces and being both highly venerable to and unable to counter mindbreak trap.
- I believe you have here invented an improved version of DPS. Better vs shops, less venerable to grave hate, and better at dodging fluster on the non-combo turn. But in the end it is the sme terrifying life without forces where in many hands a single counter sends you packing.
- This is the first deck I have played in a while that makes me happy to have 2-3 voltaic keys in it which is an accomplishment in a vacuum.
- Balance is really good in this deck especially with the horn out as you can dump your hand into the horn balance and effectively have a whole additional hand to work with.
- Not running forces makes citadel noticeably better. Also citadel and the horn are really good friends and work together incredibly well, citadell filling your hand and the horn keeping the top of the deck clear of lands and other obstructions.
This is not meant to rag on the deck it is an improvement over DPS (at least the lists I have been trying) but it feels to me like they do a very similar thing. (The wishes feel a lot like dark petitions.)
Also I found the meta to be very combo/TOK heavy and am personally favoring decks like doomsday that both have strong clock and a solid counter package. Although I will admit missing this decks absurdly high mana density in shops matches.